7mm Mauser Ammo

Samco is the only game in town. Corrosive and nasty looking. Prob ok in a bolt gun. I'd be cautious in a semi.
Grafs has 7mm privi in stock usually

Well I bought 400 rounds to shoot in a FN49. Hope it doesn't screw it up.

Let me know what condition the ammo was in and how it shoots in the fn. I recently picked up a vennie and if samco's ammo is GTG then I'll load up on some. Thanks!

Will do. Hope to get it shipped soon. At 20 cents a round I couldn't refuse trying it out.
  • 1 month later...

Just to let everyone know I just now finally recived the ammo from Samco. Pretty dirty brass. Just thru a couple handfuls into the tumbler lets see how they come out.

Ummm you really should not have done that.

How long did you tumble it for?

Putting loaded ammunition into a brass tumbler will cause the powder to grind together inside the cartridge casing, the result of which can be a finer grain of powder than originally intended & a much faster burn rate.

This can & will cause much higher chamber pressures & if the pressure gets high enough can damage or even destroy a firearm, &/or the person shooting it.
Guest Rifleman99

About a year ago, I bought 400 loose rounds of 7x57 from SAMCO. Incredible deal. About HALF of it was WINCHESTER BOXER Primed...!!! The rest was South American stuff from the 40's and 50's that has a short delay when firing it. The Winchester stuff fires like normal ammo. I am killing myself for not buying more. They only ran out about 2 months ago (March 2013). I at least have about 200 rounds that I can reload. For anyone else out there who has bought this ammo from them and want to know if they have any of this Winchester Boxer Primed stuff, it says on the bottom of the caseing "WRA  7MM". There is no date on the caseing. It is absolutely obscene how much NEW 7x57 costs. About the best you will do is $1.50 a round.

Ummm you really should not have done that.

How long did you tumble it for?

Putting loaded ammunition into a brass tumbler will cause the powder to grind together inside the cartridge casing, the result of which can be a finer grain of powder than originally intended & a much faster burn rate.

This can & will cause much higher chamber pressures & if the pressure gets high enough can damage or even destroy a firearm, &/or the person shooting it.

Do you have any proof of this? My tumbler gently rolls brass around in a circle. It can't be as bad for it as who knows how many thousands of hours/miles it has been hauled around it how many countries in the back or a truck, in a plane, boat, horse, camel, etc.

Do you have any proof of this? My tumbler gently rolls brass around in a circle. It can't be as bad for it as who knows how many thousands of hours/miles it has been hauled around it how many countries in the back or a truck, in a plane, boat, horse, camel, etc.

I am not sure how I'd be able to provide proof of this to you other than I guess you could tumble some loaded ammo, pull the bullets & measure the grain sizes of the tumbled powder after/at various time intervals.

Or if you are that sure it won't effect them & you have a chrono you could tumble a few for awhile, see if there is a change in velocity when you shoot them, or you could just stay on the safe-side, take the word of some semi-anonymous forum poster, who's been shooting for 35+ years & reloading for 25+ years & who is just trying to keep potential bad things from happening to his fellow forumites.

*shrug* I shared a bit of safety info, what you all do with it is completely up to you, heed it, ignore it, test it, but whatever you do .. please be careful doing it.

I am not sure how I'd be able to provide proof of this to you other than I guess you could tumble some loaded ammo, pull the bullets & measure the grain sizes of the tumbled powder after/at various time intervals.
Or if you are that sure it won't effect them & you have a chrono you could tumble a few for awhile, see if there is a change in velocity when you shoot them, or you could just stay on the safe-side, take the word of some semi-anonymous forum poster, who's been shooting for 35+ years & reloading for 25+ years & who is just trying to keep potential bad things from happening to his fellow forumites.
*shrug* I shared a bit of safety info, what you all do with it is completely up to you, heed it, ignore it, test it, but whatever you do .. please be careful doing it.

I have done multiple research on tumbling live ammo. Everything I have found scientifically points to its ok to tumble live ammo. Here is a link to a good write up.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989047_Tumble_live_ammo_Tumbler_Oandapos__thruth_EXTREME_edition__200hour_torture_test__UPDATE__fired_rounds_in_OP.html Edited by 53caddy

I have done multiple research on tumbling live ammo. Everything I have found scientifically points to its ok to tumble live ammo. Here is a link to a good write up.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989047_Tumble_live_ammo_Tumbler_Oandapos__thruth_EXTREME_edition__200hour_torture_test__UPDATE__fired_rounds_in_OP.html

Well like that fellow on ARFCOM you might get away with it ... up until the one time you don't ... shining up tarnished cases on live ammo by tossing them into a tumbler seems like such a trivial reason to take such a tremendous risk IMHO.

But to each their own, I hope I never am in a position to say "I told you so" because that'd really suck, especially if you lost an eye or some fingers or something.

Only one logical way to shoot 7x57.
Sing the song, come on.....
Roll, roll, roll your own. Crimp the end and then........

Problem is finding brass. Also in the fn the brass flys forward and gets lost pretty quickly