Day out with my 9 year old daughter:

Eric

I lucked up on a US Property 40XB about a month and a half ago and headed to the range that weekend. Well, I am a single dad since we lost my wife a few years back to Cancer (not looking for any comments, just explaining the single dad comment) so she always goes to the range with me. I demonstrated that due to the weight the gun had no recoil whatsoever, she decided she wanted to try it ( I was like, yes, finally after 4 years of going to the range with me she is interested). It was love at first shot! She would not even let me shoot she was just so happy seeing the hits one the target. Well, like a good dad I started to look for another 40x. I found one and after some careful thought (yeah right) I snatched it up. I also went ahead and grabbed a Leupold target scope for hers. 

To make a long story short, she is smoking me out there at the range now!  I am having her shoot from a sled as the rifle is very heavy and I am trying to think of a way to get a bipod mounted on hers. 

Well today we hit the range (spring break). We had bought a spinner for her to shoot and so we set it up at about 25 yards for her. As usual she is hitting dead center shot after shot. I had to get in on some of the spinner action and encouraged her to move it out some. We moved it to about 35 and she again spun in with no issues. I said, lets move it to 50, she agreed..( she was hesitant because the last time we shot I dominated at the 50 yard mark while she beat me at 100...) We continued to shoot, spinning that little target. Well needless to say, I got bored and said, hey Rach, watch this.  They have a 3 foot steel silhouette at 200yards. I held the head right at the bottom of the inside circle of my sight (front is an Olympic sight) and it was a hit. I of course was thrilled but then she said ok, I am gonna try. I told her where to hold and she nailed it first shot. So we shot at the 200y steel for a bit until I said, I am going to try for 300y. Well I held my target (2 foot square steel plate) at the bottom circle of my sight and " ding" hit. I then told her where to hold after I confirmed my hits and "ding" she hits first shot. I tell ya, that is the best purchase I think I have made in a while!!! 

Sorry for the long story, hope it makes sense, just had to share as I am a very proud father!
  • Like 7

My sons still drag me to the range when we have time and they are grown men.  We still have fun!  You are encouraging a young mind and making memories for a lifetime, I assure you she will never forget.  I hope you have the privalege of seeing her teach her own children, it is one of the best feelings in the world!

Oh, and when she 'hates you' as a teen for being an 'old fart' (sorry, it will happen, but it will go away too) it is a great way to bring her around to at least seeing your side.  Some of the talks we have had while shooting and then cleaning our weapons, were the best ever.  What a great dad you are!

Guest PapaB

I saw the title and thought, "that says it all". I read the post and I stand corrected, there was so much more.

Times like that won't just be with her for a long time, they'll remain throughout her life. Decades from now, when she tells her grandchildren about her and her dad going shooting, it'll be like it was just yesterday.

The best gift we can give our children is memories that remind them of how much they were loved.

Nicely done.