Academy Sports + Ammunition

I work in cool springs not too far from the Academy and I am tired of going in the place hoping to score one sad box of random Russian 9mm ammo there a couple times a week on my lunch break. It still better than Walmart though. I wont even bother going there anymore. Even if I catch a box a week of what I am looking for I don't want to pack up to go to the range for just 50 or 100 rounds. At the rate I am going I won't be able to collect enough to get to the range once before the 4th of July. 

I am just not going to shoot for a while.

3AAE2722-053B-4EEE-9C88-37AB6791936E-167

7:45 A.M. - Cool Springs location. As of 8:15 they still have Winchester white box in 5.56 for $11.99, Independence in 5.56 for $9.99, Tula in 7.62x39 for $5.99, and 40 S&W. 

Edited by Cartel
Guest Brutnus

Ya academy has been a miss for me lately But i have seen 2 AR15s in stock. ammo is really just luck. Go when its raining and its better.

The good thing about the guys who are standing in front of Academy Sports at 7am, is they are shooters just like the rest of us.  At one box per person, they are getting what they can so they can go shoot.  That's not the crowd you find at Wal-mart at 4am standing there to buy whatever they can and throw it on Armslist.  If you really want to shoot, go to Academy and get in line and you will get your one box, 3 days a week at most stores.  There is 150 rounds min per caliber you can take to the range.

Everyone going just to buy and turn around to sell can eat my shorts.

I know what ya'll mean. 95 days to get a permit and now ammo is an issue to try and do any practicing. I got in at the wrong time for sure.

Do they have limitations?

Edited by Cartel
Guest Phizzle99GST

I checked at walmart on old fort and dicks in the afternoon last week. nothing at walmart except shotgun and high cal rifles and dicks had like 8 boxes of 223 PMC 9.99 but had a 3 box limit

checked the academy in mt Juliet this morning and they had nothing of interest for me, and last week it was the same thing at the academy in Smyrna in the PM

Edited by Phizzle99GST

Do they keep everything "rare" at the gun counter or the service desk?

All the "rare" ones are stacked at the service desk. They are starting to get their Monarch brand back in and I was able to pick up some good deals on 308, 30-30 and 30-06 . #08 was the only one of those that was limited.

This mornings shipment to Cool Springs was rather lackluster comparable to others. I arrived shortly after opening and took home a 20 round box of Winchester in 5.56 and 100 round value pack of Remington UMC in .45 ACP. There was no 9mm and only a half case of 22 CCI Mini Mags amongst various boxes in .380 ACP, 40 S&W, + .45 ACP.

Good day, my friends.

Guest Brutnus

Well today was AWESOME!!!

Went to the Academy by Hamilton place Mall around 8:45 this morning just trying to get lucky. Walk in and there sits 6 boxes of 9mm (plus 308, AK mags and AR mags). It was some brand i haven't heard of before called Monarch but it was cheap 14.11 total for 50 bullets. I asked her to put it into a bag because i wanted to see what firearms they had gotten in.

Walked to the firearm section and almost started to jump up and down in excitement. There sit 

• Glock 17
    • Gen 4
    • $579
  • Glock 19
    • Gen 3
    • $525
  • Glock 21
    • Gen 4
    • $625
  • Glock 26
    • Gen 3
    • $525

This is super exciting because i have been visiting this store for months and haven't seen anything like this since pre november.

Always a refreshing moment!

Academy in Cool Springs had a rather nice shipment of ammunition on display today. 4x 1,000 round boxes of .223, a handful 375 round CCI Tactical boxes of 22 LR, 25 + boxes of 100 round Remington Target in 22 LR, 10x 100 round packs of Remington UMC in 9mm, 9mm Monarch, Winchester 7.62x51, Independence 5.56, Monarch .223, etc.

• Like 2
Guest KCampbell

I was at the one in Knoxville this past Sun,I got a box of 5.56 for 9.99 and a 100 round box of Remington 9mm for 27.00 or so.Later that same day I saw the same box of 9mm on Armslist for 65.00....wtf?

I was at the one in Knoxville this past Sun,I got a box of 5.56 for 9.99 and a 100 round box of Remington 9mm for 27.00 or so.Later that same day I saw the same box of 9mm on Armslist for 65.00....wtf?

Gutter snipe, either that or nargles.  Joe Bob's had 3 per person windowed pmags on sale last week for prepanic prices, I'm waiting to see a large amount of these pop on up Armslist as soon as they get received. 

Monarch is made in Serbia by Prvi Partisan and distributed by Academy.

I probably would've never bought it before but with the times I have and I liked it. In the future I'd buy over others if it costs less.

Monarch is made in Serbia by Prvi Partisan and distributed by Academy.

I didn't know this, but I've been shooting Monarch for a couple of years. Mostly 38 and 45's.  I've never had a problem with it and the price was always good.  I'll keep shooting it I reckon.