Academy Sports + Ammunition

Very nice. Monarch is Academy's house brand of ammo. It shoots fine, but can be a little dirty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Monarch is made in Serbia by Prvi Partisan and distributed by Academy.

And I learned something new :)

I bought about 10 boxes of this for my AR15 back in September/October and was curious how it would work. It was cheap, really cheap, so I was hoping it wouldn't have issues. I took it all to the range about a month ago and figured that if it was troublesome, that would be the place to deal with it. It worked flawlessly. Wish I'd bought more of it!

Went to Academy this morning and asked for a Winchester box of 7.62x51 and a Monarch box of 308.young cashier said I could have one or the other. I've bought one of each before. He claimed that it was the same caliber. I tend to disagree. I was in a hurry so I bought my 7.62x51 and left. Anyone had this experience before?

Went to Academy this morning and asked for a Winchester box of 7.62x51 and a Monarch box of 308.young cashier said I could have one or the other. I've bought one of each before. He claimed that it was the same caliber. I tend to disagree. I was in a hurry so I bought my 7.62x51 and left. Anyone had this experience before?

I haven't experienced it directly, but regarding 7.62x51 versus .308, while they are technically different rounds, SAAMI considers it safe to interchange the two, so I'm sure that's why they guys at Academy said it was the same caliber.  Essentially it's the military version versus the commercial version.

I love the Monarch brand of (steel cased) 9mm Makarov ammo for my CZ (vz) 82.  It shoots well and is as accurate as anything else I have tried.  Too bad Academy wasn't receiving much of it even before the current ammo craze.

I haven't experienced it directly, but regarding 7.62x51 versus .308, while they are technically different rounds, SAAMI considers it safe to interchange the two, so I'm sure that's why they guys at Academy said it was the same caliber.  Essentially it's the military version versus the commercial version.

I have read that it isn't safe or, at least, good practice to fire .308 in many 7.62X51 rifles.  I don't own either so don't remember the exact details but it had something to do with the chamber dimensions, etc.  I think it was that 7.62X51 brass is often thicker so the chamber may not properly support a .308 round.  It seems like there was some, possible issue with headspacing, too.

Edited by JAB

Always a refreshing moment!

Academy in Cool Springs had a rather nice shipment of ammunition on display today. 4x 1,000 round boxes of .223, a handful 375 round CCI Tactical boxes of 22 LR, 25 + boxes of 100 round Remington Target in 22 LR, 10x 100 round packs of Remington UMC in 9mm, 9mm Monarch, Winchester 7.62x51, Independence 5.56, Monarch .223, etc.

1000 round boxes of .223?  What was the price on those?

I love the Monarch brand of (steel cased) 9mm Makarov ammo for my CZ (vz) 82.  It shoots well and is as accurate as anything else I have tried.  Too bad Academy wasn't receiving much of it even before the current ammo craze.

I have read articles stating that it isn't safe or, at least, good practice to fire .308 in many 7.62X51 rifles.  I don't own either so don't remember the exact details but it had something to do with the chamber dimensions, etc.  I think it was that 7.62X51 brass is often thicker so the chamber may not properly support a .308 round.  It seems like there was some, possible issue with headspacing, too.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting someone should use one round or the other without checking with their firearm manufacturer, just why the Academy clerk thought they were the same.

You are right, there are definitely some rifles you SHOULD NOT mix these two cartridges in.

Edit: typo

Edited by itchytriggerfinger
Guest DrRobert
I boughten very first gun (glock 17) at this store in early march.

This is super exciting because i have been visiting this store for months and haven't seen anything like this since pre november.[/quote]

Academy had Eotech's on sale too... I think I paid $420 with tax for a 512... I am starting to like them. They did not gouge AR15 prices or ammo that I know of. They control the jerk resellers well by limiting the ammo legitimately that we can tell... 

Cool Springs received 3x 1,000 bulk packs of Federal .223 at $449 per, 8x 250 round boxes of 9mm, 2x 1,600 round ammo cans of 22 LR Mini Mag, 50 round boxes of 9mm, and 50 round boxes of .380. By 815am there was only 50 round boxes of 9mm + 380 (Monarch/PPU). 

Guest Brutnus

Just got another box of 9mm and a box of ...................................................... 22LR out the door cost. $17 bucks. 

Guest Brutnus

just got another box of 22lr, 40 and 45 at Academy this morning. It appears that Academy has raised their prices about 7-8% from 2 weeks ago. The box of 45 was 44 dollars instead of 41 dollars.

Also note they had 3 glock 17 mags in store for $29/each

I think they flipped the script in Cool Springs and got a shipment in on Thurs. I went in yesterday to buy some fishing stuff and the front shelf was full of centerfire ammo. More than any shipment I've seen in the mornings I've stopped. It was enough that if they got another shipment today(like normal)then they didn't run out and won't have enough counter space for it all.
No .22lr. They had some shorts though. Edited by JWC

Here is the good priced stuff. I picked up some 1911 range mags from this company a couple of years ago and thought they where great. I will never shop there again due to adds like this. Posted Image