Academy Sports + Ammunition

• 1 month later...
Guest TankerHC
Been to 5 Academy,s in the last week. Shelves full at every one. Only limits om 9mm and .22 and 9mm limits to stop soon. Was on 153 last night and they still had about 15 boxes of the 150 or so they got in last Monday. Customer service person told me the limits come off when it sits for a certain period of time, as long as it empties fast like the .22 is still doing there will be limits.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Picked up another 500 rounds of the Monarch .223 today. They had maybe 3,000 rounds on the shelf, no limit.

Second cheapest .223 I know of in the US right now, with the sub $5 Wally Tula being the first, when you can get it, and with a 3  box or less limit.

- OS

Picked up another 500 rounds of the Monarch .223 today. They had maybe 3,000 rounds on the shelf, no limit.

Second cheapest .223 I know of in the US right now, with the sub $5 Wally Tula being the first, when you can get it, and with a 3  box or less limit.

- OS

I like the Monarch .223, never had one issue so far with it.....well except finding it since last winter lol

I like the Monarch .223, never had one issue so far with it.....well except finding it since last winter lol

It's the last lacquer coated cases I still know of anywhere, but has always run fine for me in ARs and Mini14s. Barnaul, I believe.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I have looked for .22LR this past week in every big box store and LGS that sells that stuff from Clarksville, TN to Charles City, Iowa, about 679 miles.  My findings are there is no such thing as .22LR ammo left on the planet that doesn't belong to a gouger on the internet or is being used by a "driller" in Chicago's southside.  

Why can't I buy a case of CCI SV at a reasonable price?  

- OS

Tula .223 is actually over $5 now. $5.27 I think.

• Like 1

Tula .223 is actually over $5 now. $5.27 I think.

Yep, confirmed. Had picked up a few boxes of that over the week at Wally's, too, and looked at a receipt, 5.27 (plus a dime), so with Academy including the dime in price, it's only .62 more per twenty.

- OS

Was it scarce prior to Sandy Hook?

Yes and no.  22 mag is something most places get a few boxes of per week.  It sells slowly, as it is not a highly popular round for anything.  A few people hunt with it, a few carry it for defense, and a few burn a box here and there for fun, but no great quantity is consumed by those few people.   Once in a while someone buys up a ton of it to feed a kel tec or something.  It still comes in the same as before --- a few boxes a week at most places, from what I have seen in my attempts to arrive in sync with the trucks at a few stores.   Trouble is, demand is up, so those 5 boxes a week are gone in an hour whereas before they could sit on a shelf for months.   It is not just the few who buy it thinking it will go in a 22 (this stuff happens, I got to watch a guy getting help from a range officer because he could not get the 9x18 to feed in his glock...)  but there is an actual demand that is not being met.  And there is the "its there" effect as well --- guy shows up at the store and they have 22 mag and nothing else useful, so he buys a box of it that, had they been stocked in 9mm, 22lr, and so on, he may not have bought.

• 3 weeks later...