Any thoughts on the Benelli M4?

Guest guillotineking117

Guest guillotineking117

I've started looking into getting one but I don't have much to go on. How reliable are they? I'm also looking into replacing the factory 5 round magazine tube with a factory 7 round tube; and maybe getting the collapsable stock for it.

Guest carter

what ever floats your boat... personally i hate the way the collapsible stock looks on a shot gun... i would just cut a few inches off the butt end, or get a youth stock if available...  its a cool looking shot gun though...i had thought about the Mossberg 930 SPX but worry about shooting light loads and having cycle issues... so i just stick with the pump actions  

Guest Phizzle99GST

whats the difference in the m2 and m4 from benelli? is it the rail, ext tube, or stock... or all 3? or no of them?

• Authorized Vendor

whats the difference in the m2 and m4 from benelli? is it the rail, ext tube, or stock... or all 3? or no of them?

The M4 Tactical comes standard with a Picatinny rail for optics, the M2 does not, a fully adjustable ghost-ring rear sight, the M2 does not and fixed-blade front sight and a black synthetic pistol-grip style stock, the M2 does not. An optional standard stock is offered. With features and reliability that do it for the U.S. military, the Benelli M4 is an excellent choice for your own home defense plan.

I have an M2 and it's an awesome auto loading shot gun. I absolutely love mine and would never consider getting rid of it.

Mine has been absolutely flawless, eats everything I feed it and is completely rock solid. I will second the earlier post though about the collapsing stock - on the benelli it is not ideal especially with optics. I got rid of my collapsing stock and picked up the Mesa with the shorter LOP and it is great.<br />qepaqu5e.jpg

Edited by Slpeod
I can't speak to the M4, but I had a Benelli Super Black Eagle, and it was awesome. Unbelievable how smooth the action was and how low the recoil was even with the 3 1/2" magnum loads. I sold it because I wanted a 1911. But if I ever buy another auto loader shotgun it will be a Benelli
The Benelli M2/M4, Remington 1100, Mossber 930, Browning Auto-5, Saiga-12/20/410 etc, etc are all fantastic shotguns (for hunting/sporting purposes), but I've seen too many examples of each & everyone of them "fail" at some point or another, for one reason or another, enough so that I simply will not use ANY autoloading shotgun for HD..

So if you do buy one for HD my best advice is to field test the crapola out of it prior to planning to rely on it in a life/death type scenario, that is good advice for any HD/SD weapon though.

The Benelli M2/M4, Remington 1100, Mossber 930, Browning Auto-5, Saiga-12/20/410 etc, etc are all fantastic shotguns (for hunting/sporting purposes), but I've seen too many examples of each & everyone of them "fail" at some point or another, for one reason or another, enough so that I simply will not use ANY autoloading shotgun for HD..

So if you do buy one for HD my best advice is to field test the crapola out of it prior to planning to rely on it in a life/death type scenario, that is good advice for any HD/SD weapon though.

he never said what he was using it for. i would have left off the 1100 and saiga. you have make a M2 or Versa Max fail. under pressure i have had the most issues with a pump, not a pump guy.  my sonwas raised on a pump but again under pressure has failures.

just know your shotgun

The M4 is Benelli's only gas-operated shotgun.  The other Benelli autos use an inertia operating system, which is excellent, but very finicky about weight being added to the gun (like optics, lights, etc).  The military wanted an autoloader that they could hang a bunch of stuff on, so Benelli designed one.  

• Admin Team

The gas operating system makes it an absolute pleasure to shoot.  It's probably the softest shooting 12ga. I've ever shot. 

To put the recoil in perspective, it's my wife's goto home defense weapon.  Say that about your 12ga.

• Like 1
Guest guillotineking117

I really like the look of the military collapsible stock but I've read a few things saying it is bad about tearing up the shooters face. I don't know if this is due to opperator error or not but a lot of the pictures in one of the articles were of active military with makeshift pads they added to the stock to prevent this. I'm leaning on the side of it is the stock that is the problem not that our boys over there don't know what they are doing. Has anyone experienced this themselves?

Guest guillotineking117

Import regulations keep them from putting the collapsible stock on the M4s sold here. It's a fixed stock unless you replace it with an aftermarket one.

Yeah. I've been looking into an aftermarket one but because of the price most of them are running and what I mentioned earlier I'm not sure that I will get one.