If They Came To Your Door....

You are the one who said...

...Most leo's I've met are leo's because frankly, they're too sorry to do much else, or else they get a thrill out of screwing with people.

...I said most; not all. Sounds like something a teacher would say. I guess union is union. Are you implying that I couldn't?

I'm implying nothing.

I'm saying it's pretty damn disgusting to denigrate and insult a whole (oh I'm sorry, I mean only "most" of) a profession who's members put their lives on the line every day to save the asses of people they don't even know while armchair quarterbacks make snide remarks such as calling them "to sorry to do much else". Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2
Guest KiloFive

Intent aside, if you refuse to let them search in this situation and you would be hindering them.

If you'll read my earlier post, I said as long as they were professional and courteous, I would invite them in to have a look around.

If that's a true statement then you either need to get out more or move.

I said most; not all.

Or perhaps better yet, if you think the job is so easy and the majority of LEOs so corrupt or so stupid that they "can't do much else" then perhaps you should try to go through a police academy and get hired on then come back here in a few years and let us know how it worked out.

Sounds like something a teacher would say. I guess union is union. Are you implying that I couldn't?

Greg,

Listen up.
I was a cop and a deputy.
And your comment about most cops....
is sadly more accurate than you know.

Generations ago, I would think differently.
The new generation of cops reflects the society from which they were recruited.

Do not let the cool aid drinkers, nor those who have a vested interest in defense of that industry dissuade you from the observations you have made. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest 6.8 AR

If I was approached by the cops about this, I doubt I would hinder them. I would let them know my house is secure

and that if a perp gets in here, they would either be shot, or I would have been dead, already. Most around here

would already be aware there is someone like this on the loose and would probably be taking care of their own

property, and it would be obvious to a cop if I came to the door and I whispered or made a motion for them to

understand I was in the middle of a bad situation and someone was holding me or my family hostage.

I would like to think that the local police, in a situation like this, would be doing their diligence, and wouldn't be

up to doing the dumb stuff, at all.

Greg,

Listen up.
I was a cop and a deputy.
And your comment about most cops....
is sadly more accurate than you know.

Generations ago, I would think differently.
The new generation of cops reflects the society from which they were recruited.

Do not let the cool aid drinkers, nor those who have a vested interest in defense of that industry dissuade you from the observations you have made. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I was a child, a policeman was a man to be respected and looked up to. Today's LEOs aren't the same guys as the ones I grew up around.

When I was a child, a policeman was a man to be respected and looked up to. Today's LEOs aren't the same guys as the ones I grew up around.

:taser:  Yeah...I guess as far as you are concerned, police today are all loosers who couldn't get a real job or are just sadists who do the work just so they can screw with people, right?   :screwy:

Edited by RobertNashville

:taser:  Yeah...I guess as far as you are concerned, police today are all loosers who couldn't get a real job or are just sadists who do the work just so they can screw with people, right?   :screwy:

From what I've seen, a good portion of them are just that. I NEVER said "all". We have some good guys up here; very few, but good guys. You keep trying to change what I say so you can get all butt hurt for some reason. Perhaps if the FOP would quit supporting and covering up for the bad ones, the good ones could get the respect they deserve.

An LEO has a job. He or she should be expected to do that job.  I've never understood why some of them expect to be put on a pedestal and honored for simply doing their job. We don't do this for other professions.

As someone who works with LE on a regular basis, a lot of them are surprisingly decent if you are respectful from the get go. In this particular case If there was something in the house I didn't want them seeing, I'd pretty much make it invisible before they got to my house. Granted, a lot of what we may consider common might be illegal in MA, but that's why we don't live there, and also why jihadist types don't tend to attempt to dig in here.. Personally I'd have a couple pots of coffee and to go cups ready for em.

They are indeed in Tennessee. Dover has one of the 35 camps in the US.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=11927398

As far as letting LE into my house I would probably not. I would step outside and let them know everything is fine. I would see if they wanted water or anything else I have to help but there is no need to enter my house if I know it is secure. I do have officers over from time to time but it is those who I know and trust to do the right thing. Any officer I do not know will have to secure a search warrant before entering. I have specific reasons for this and it has nothing to do with me having anything to hide.

Something else that kind of concerns me is the government said they did not read him his miranda rights. They stated because of "public safety" they could not at the time he was taken into custody, which I understand completely. Now, even though he is sitting in a hospital room safe and secure, they said they were going to wait even longer because of "public safety" concerns. They said they are going to go ahead and question him before they read him his miranda rights because of "public safety" concerns. He IS a US citizen and he is entitled to the same rights as any other citizen. If the powers that be can circumvent this legal requirement for him they can for any other citizen in which they feel there is a threat to "public safety". And we have all seen the hysteria over perceived threats to "public safety".

How sick would it be if once he got to trial ALL of his statements were thrown out as well as the charges because he was not read his miranda rights. I know it has happened in other cases.

He needs to fry for what he did but the rules should not be broken to ensure it happens. He is no different than any other citizen that has killed 3 people. Once the rules are broken once it sets a precendent for others to break those same rules.

From what I've seen, a good portion of them are just that. I NEVER said "all"…

From what you’ve seen???  What, exactly have you seen?  How many LEO's have you had experience with?

From my quick research, there are approximately 700,000 full time state, city, university and college, metropolitan and non-metropolitan county, and other law enforcement officers in the United States and 120,000 full time law enforcement personnel working for the federal government. So how many have you met/encountered that has formed this opinion that "most leo's I've met are leo's because frankly, they're too sorry to do much else, or else they get a thrill out of screwing with people...?

And oh yes, thanks for making that important distinction that you are only denigrating and insulting “most” and not “all”.

And no, I haven't changed what you've said...I've QUOTED what you said.

An LEO has a job. He or she should be expected to do that job. I've never understood why some of them expect to be put on a pedestal and honored for simply doing their job. We don't do this for other professions.

Out the vast number of law enforcement officers you have met/encountered; how many have expected to be put on a pedestal???

As to other professions, I respect anyone who works for a living (rather than living off the work of others) and who is a "plus" to his/her community but moreover, I happen to have a lot of respect for people who actively put their lives on the line (and have to face insults and slanders from some)for doing so…other than law enforcement, and our military and I don’t know of many other professions that have those kinds of job requirements...I know mine doesn’t…does yours???

I happen to have a lot of respect for people who actively put their lives on the line (and have to face insults and slanders from some)for doing so…other than law enforcement, and our military and I don’t know of many other professions that have those kinds of job requirements...I know mine doesn’t…does yours???

You be the judge. I work in the middle of the road for a living. Since the 50's, there have been over 100 TDOT employees killed at work, as well as countless contractors. I am regularly cursed, threatened, have garbage thrown at me, guns pointed at me, chased by dogs and livestock, etc. I am not allowed to carry a firearm for protection on the job.

I expect no recognition, praise, or anything else, other than the compensation agreed to between my employer and myself. I enjoy building roads and bridges. I believe it provides a valuable service to the public, even though many do not agree. I do not carry a chip on my shoulder, and do not understand why many with a badge do. Many people work in hazardous conditions. I've never known a police who was drafted into service. They chose the profession, and all that comes with it.

You be the judge. I work in the middle of the road for a living. Since the 50's, there have been over 100 TDOT employees killed at work, as well as countless contractors. I am regularly cursed, threatened, have garbage thrown at me, guns pointed at me, chased by dogs and livestock, etc. I am not allowed to carry a firearm for protection on the job.

I expect no recognition, praise, or anything else, other than the compensation agreed to between my employer and myself. I enjoy building roads and bridges. I believe it provides a valuable service to the public, even though many do not agree. I do not carry a chip on my shoulder, and do not understand why many with a badge do. Many people work in hazardous conditions. I've never known a police who was drafted into service. They chose the profession, and all that comes with it.

Not to lighten the significance of those TDOT workers killed but do you really suggest that a TDOT worker's job is as or more dangerous than a law enforcement officer's job? Really???

I've worked in several industries over the past 40 years and have knowledge of far more than 100 deaths on the job in that time...lots of jobs are "hazardous" but none those industries expect their employees to run TOWARD the gunfire or into a burning building or to be a target for every dirtbag criminal out there just because they happen to wear a badge.

I'm really glad we have people maintaining our roads and bridges but comparing the hazards of that job or most any other (or without saying it directly, comparing qualifications for each) to law enforcement officers would be humorous if it wasn't so disingenuous.

For someone who claims he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder it certainly sounds as if you do.  :shrug:

I'm sure you are a decent guy and we may well agree on most issues but we are NEVER going to agree on this one...have a nice day.

Not to lighten the significance of those TDOT workers killed but do you really suggest that a TDOT worker's job is as or more dangerous than a law enforcement officer's job? Really???

I've worked in several industries over the past 40 years and have knowledge of far more than 100 deaths on the job in that time...lots of jobs are "hazardous" but none those industries expect their employees to run TOWARD the gunfire or into a burning building or to be a target for every dirtbag criminal out there just because they happen to wear a badge.

I'm really glad we have people maintaining our roads and bridges but comparing the hazards of that job or most any other (or without saying it directly, comparing qualifications for each) to law enforcement officers would be humorous if it wasn't so disingenuous.

For someone who claims he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder it certainly sounds as if you do.  :shrug:

I'm sure you are a decent guy and we may well agree on most issues but we are NEVER going to agree on this one...have a nice day.

To be honest and fair to you, most of the people I work with should have been fired long ago as well. Perhaps I expect too much from humans in general. Both jobs can be dangerous, although most are safe most of the time. As you said, there are many dangerous professions. I just wanted to highlight one I was familiar with.

I've had enough bad experiences with law enforcement employees over the span of my life to make it impossible to chalk it up to coincidence or bad luck. I'm glad your experience has been different.

Try not to take one guy's opinion so seriously, and you'll enjoy your stay on this crazy spinning ball much more.

Edited by gregintenn

I started this post with a question.  After seeing this video of what the house-to-house in Watertown, MA search entailed, I can say definitely I would want no part of it.   See for yourself if this is your idea of Fourth Amendment rights, even when you give consent to search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LrbsUVSVl8

I started this post with a question.  After seeing this video of what the house-to-house in Watertown, MA search entailed, I can say definitely I would want no part of it.   See for yourself if this is your idea of Fourth Amendment rights, even when you give consent to search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LrbsUVSVl8

If those thugs came to my house; I'm shot. :stunned:

... the city of Boston, and whatever other official agencies took part in this deserve to go bankrupt over the lawsuits filed regarding these searches; and, IMO, any particular officer that can be nailed down to committing these atrocious acts and searches should be charged criminally.

Guest Emtdaddy1980
That's pretty effed up. Having grown up in New England and experiencing both cultures I'd like to think they'd handle things differently here, you just never know though. Its probably just a matter of time. I personally believe there are some major changes coming on the horizon. I was watching the movie THE PIANIST with my wife the other night and commented that it was compleatly possible and even probable that we'd see similar conditions to the Polish Jews when Germany was invading as seen in the movie. My family is part of a group that has faced persecution from the authorities before and we fully expect it in the future.

Did I see them "frisking" the occupants of that house as they came outside? That's just a little much. I guess I'd been shot, because I would probably have had my handgun on me at the time. I wouldn't mind them coming in and checking around, but pushing, shoving and grabbing me by the arms, and patting me down wouldn't fly!

Dave S

• Like 1

... the city of Boston, and whatever other official agencies took part in this deserve to go bankrupt over the lawsuits filed regarding these searches; and, IMO, any particular officer that can be nailed down to committing these atrocious acts and searches should be charged criminally.

Not going to happen.

I think we saw EXACTLY and in high definition the country we now live in and it's not the world most of us thought.
  • Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

That video showed how much the police wasted time. A bit over the top, I'd say, and definitely unconstitutional.

If they were so concerned about doing those searches, there sure were a lot of them standing around doing

absolutely nothing.

I would like to know if these was a normal search. If this is how they did all of the searches there should be some lawsuits that follow. The cops may have had a reason to believe this house was hiding the perp. or had creditable evidence that he was hiding on the property or in the house. I hope this is the case. I really hope this is not how all the home owners were treated.