Would you go?

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

Mars One program is about to announce it's astronaut selection program.

This is for 8 years of training and a ONE WAY ticket to Mars.

Think about the name immortality. You would forever be known as one of the first humans to colonize another planet.

​ INTERPLANETARY COLONIZATION. Wow, just wow

Here is link to the site:

http://applicants.mars-one.com/

Here is one the announcement live stream to start around 12pm Eastern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WJNGH4NZJ4U

I know I would apply if I were able bodied!

Guest Lester Weevils

During the long period of western hemisphere colonization, most colonists/immigrants would leave home never expecting to return. Of course hardly any place on planet earth is anywhere near as alien or inhospitable as the "most hospitable" real estate on Mars.

Many people's lifestyles are so solitary and confined nowadays, that living in a tin can would be very little different. Some people live their entire lives within a few blocks in new york city, with the vast majority of time spent in one building.

Guest Keal G Seo

One thing you gotta think about too is the entertainment. No current tv or movies. Maybe for a month or two a year when Earth is nearest you could pick up some AM radio. Yes there would probably be an uplink to Earth but I can't imagine it would be any faster than 56k (dial up)...if that fast. Stuck here with 3 other people, 2 men and 2 women total. The same board games for decades. I would imagine even in a best case scenario you four would be there for at least 10 years before the next people are sent. Honestly, I would have to sit back and really think about it but I still think I would go.

Guest Keal G Seo

Ah, I don't think I could bring a kid into that just yet. After a few hundred people got there...maybe. A few thousand, oh yeah no problem. Not to mention, they may be...um not into men. Oh, what do you do if you are the only straight one there? Gay women and a gay guy constantly trying to convert you...

It would depend on a lot, but I could be convinced to go.  They would never take me (too old, too out of shape, etc) but for example if my wife died, I would go.  Or if we both went, yea 10 years from now, ... maybe.

If launch was today, no.  

But what they probably want is a healthy 18-20 year old loner  (can function without social interaction) with some enough brains to solve problems and survive, healthy and tough enough to survive, with enough common sense to not make stupid, fatal mistakes.  A very rare person, really....  

Guest RedLights&Sirens
No thanks. Astornauts seem to have a tendancy to think they are politcal figureheads and go buy guns for "the police" (themselves) to "prove a point."

Astronauts wouldn't go. Something to do with I.Q. or some such nonsense.

Requirements...never come back. 

Beavis and Butthead come to mind....

The Obamartian (pronounced Oba Martian) will welcome you with open arms even though you might be considered an illegal alien. Wait! Bad word. Deportable.

Lp

I see it this way.. lets say one of them is a woman .. or maybe 2 woman.. since you are not leaving and have  no recourse.. what keeps the men from raping these woman? or maybe one of these men has had a fantasy about killing a fellow man.. here is the opportunity?

I would not put it past someone to do soemthing bad up there...knowing you wont go back  anyway..

strange thoughts?

Ah, I don't think I could bring a kid into that just yet. After a few hundred people got there...maybe. A few thousand, oh yeah no problem. Not to mention, they may be...um not into men. Oh, what do you do if you are the only straight one there? Gay women and a gay guy constantly trying to convert you...

a bit homophobic are we?  what makes you think gays want to constantly convert you ?

Guest Keal G Seo

a bit homophobic are we?  what makes you think gays want to constantly convert you ?

Well I am straight, few years with no woman and I would be trying to convert one of the females. Why would the gay guy be any different?

Guest Keal G Seo

Maybe because you would not be his type?

I dunno.. maybe its not all about sex up there?

Heck I dont care.. I wont go anyway.. All I know there are no trees and nothing blooms there .. its depressing..

Well my comment was in response to someone mentioning procreation. But in getting into it, a gay woman isn't my type. lol And I am sure my fat harry arse wouldn't be too attractive to him either...but after a few years of going at it solo...well. Yeah.