11.5" AR build getting close

cch2a

Ok so here is where I'm at on my current build. Seekins lower, Spikes 11.5" CHF lightweight barrel, Aero Precision Upper, KAC trigger guard, Magpul CTR (I have multiple colors), Troy VTAC rail, and Raptor Charging Handle (not pictured) What I need to decide is what color to cerakote. My current thought are one of the following: tungsten, graphite black, fde, magpul od, combat grey, sniper grey. Comment on color or build in general welcome. Still need several small parts and bcg. Weapon not assembled in pic.

image-1_zpsede2cdcf.jpg

Edited by cch2a
No form 1 yet, but considering I have no trigger, no way to attach a stock, no buffer tube, no bolt carrier, bolt, firing pin and a dozen other small parts needed to assemble it I think I'll be ok. Plus it was not transferred as a pistol/rifle so I can build it as a pistol if I wanted but doubt I will have the other parts before I get the "stamp" of approval. Thanks for your concern, any comments on color though.
I do have it on backward because I don't have it attached and I didn't feel like loosening the bolt to slide it on for a pic. I'm lazy. Nothing in the pic is attached at all, it is just laying on my floor.

Assuming that's a new lower,  stash the stock offsite if you don't have another legal use for it,  and just finish it up with everything but the stock -- you've got a legal pistol to shoot -- and a nice one, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'm actually starting a SBR build myself. Gonna do a 10.5" barrel with permanent attached suppresor. So it really won't be an SBR since the barrel lenght will be 16", but anyhow. I'm thinking FDE on the whole rifle. IMHO, a compact rifle in an earth tone just looks cool. Utilitarian I guess. I already have a couple black rifles, so its time to add some color. I vote for FDE or OD or a combo of the two

How long is your handguard? That's gonna look awesome with just a dab of compensator sticking out

Agreed. Burnt bronze and tungsten are awesome. Just don't know if I will like it years down the road even though I'm obsessed with the tungsten rifle in your picture. I have looked at that picture probably a thousand times this week, it's funny you posted it. Maybe that's a sign.

To buy a "short" complete upper , can you just buy it and then send in your existing "lower's" information and the Form1 to be all legal ?  Or do you have to show any "Form " at all to buy the shorter upper ?

The reason I am asking is that when we all do the "group buy" on here with the TGO lower , I want to make it into a short barrel rifle if possible.

Not trying to hijack anyones thread here but I am learning and figured this would be a great time to ask.

Or should I make an entirely different thread ?

Edited by tercel89

To buy a "short" complete upper , can you just buy it and then send in your existing "lower's" information and the Form1 to be all legal ?  Or do you have to show any "Form " at all to buy the shorter upper ?

The reason I am asking is that when we all do the "group buy" on here with the TGO lower , I want to make it into a short barrel rifle if possible.

Not trying to hijack anyones thread here but I am learning and figured this would be a great time to ask.

Or should I make an entirely different thread ?

Can answer part of your question:

Anyone can buy or sell a short barrel, or complete short barreled upper, whatever, whether you own anything else that would fit with it or not.

The only consideration when doing so, though, is what's generally referred to as "constructive possession" or "constructive intent".  Since 1992 this means in the case of a short barrel, "that an NFA firearm is made if aggregated parts are in close proximity such that they:  (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel)".

Which simply means that there must be a legitimate use for that short barreled upper other than making an NFA firearm. So if all you have is an AR rifle (that was first configured as a rifle), and a short barreled upper, having them "in close proximity" means you have "made" an NFA firearm. And since "close proximity" is not defined, I'd err on the side of extreme caution and consider it to mean "on my property" as "close enough proximity" should push come to shove.

If you have another lower that was first built as a pistol, or a lower that hasn't been built as anything, having a short barreled upper is fine. (a lower that starts life as a pistol can go back and forth between pistol and rifle, if starts life as a rifle must stay a rifle).

Note that the odds of being charged are rather remote, and would probably take your already being in ATF crosshairs for something, but certainly best to follow letter of law on this stuff since penalties are quite severe.

Graphic aid (lower was first built as a pistol):

ARpistol-rifle.jpg

Perfectly legal assortment of "parts in close proximity", though of course I couldn't use the stock with the short barreled upper, which would make an illegal SBR.

Without the rifle upper though, if all I had were the other three components, I would have made an illegal NFA firearm, since there would be no "useful purpose"  of the stock "other than to make an NFA firearm".

Or, if that lower had started life in rifle configuration, the short barreled upper would have no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm either.

Hence, there are some real advantages of being able to make a legal AR pistol before ever getting a stamp to make a legal SBR.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Ok , let me ask you this : If I get this TGO lower that is empty  , and I decide to make it a pistol, then what do I need to do ? Also thanks so far for your kind help!

Put it together anyway you want, with any length barrel you want. Just don't put a stock on it -- if you only have an AR pistol config, I wouldn't even have a stock on my property. A stock, like any other in a collection of components, must have a legal use if it also has an illegal use.

Many folks use a "pistol" receiver extension rather than a carbine one made to accept a stock, but it's not necessary. And especially if you plan to make it a legal SBR later,  or want to swap back and forth between pistol and rifle config,  is just something else to buy and not use later. And a pistol extension doesn't necessarily make you home free from the "constructive possession" thang anyway.

I wound up giving my AR pistol its own dedicated lower not too long ago, at least for now. Still has regular carbine tube on it. I wrapped it with black camo wrap, but not to disguise or "cripple" it from taking a stock, but only to make it softer laid alongside the cheek when shooting.

ARpistol.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Put it together anyway you want, with any length barrel you want. Just don't put a stock on it -- if you only have an AR pistol config, I wouldn't even have a stock on my property. A stock, like any other in a collection of components, must have a legal use if it also has an illegal use.

Many folks use a "pistol" receiver extension rather than a carbine one made to accept a stock, but it's not necessary. And especially if you plan to make it a legal SBR later,  or want to swap back and forth between pistol and rifle config,  is just something else to buy and not use later. And a pistol extension doesn't necessarily make you home free from the "constructive possession" thang anyway.

I wound up giving my AR pistol its own dedicated lower not too long ago, at least for now. Still has regular carbine tube on it. I wrapped it with black camo wrap, but not to disguise or "cripple" it from taking a stock, but only to make it softer laid alongside the cheek when shooting.

ARpistol.jpg

- OS

Ahhh that is exactly what I would like mine to look like ! . That is very nice . Maybe the same size upper with a fixed  handle on it like a standard AR type "A2" has .

Ahhh that is exactly what I would like mine to look like ! . That is very nice . Maybe the same size upper with a fixed  handle on it like a standard AR type "A2" has .

I myself see zero reason to get fixed handle upper, assuming you can even find one, short of doing a retro rifle. I'd stay with the A3 flat top upper:

xdsaa3.jpg

can put removable carry handle on it if that's what you want:

BCM%20Carry%20Handle%20AR-15-2.jpg?13572

Also allows you to do other type sights if you change your mind.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'm pretty much doing what Oh Shoot said to do. I'm stashing the stock in a different county on someone else's property than my house and will only have the AR pistol at my house.

Meaning you don't have a rifle rifle config you could use it on? Only reason I ask is that's most folks don't have an AR pistol only.

If you do, no probs, ya know -- extra spare parts that can legally be used are fine, as in having more than one stock. It's not like they have to match up one to one or anything, just thought I'd mention.

Though of course one might well tempt fate to take a spare stock out and about with the pistol, like to the range or whatever, even though by letter of the ruling it would be legal as long as you have a rifle that would accept it with you also. But no sense in baiting the bear.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Oh Shoot -

Yes and no, lol. I have another rifle configuration AR but it is typically at work. I guess technically I can keep the spare stock for that rifle legally. But I figure if the man comes knocking and I have the pistol with a stock in the house but my rifle is at work then it will be harder to say it's a spare for the rifle. I guess I just feel better knowing I have no possible way to attach a stock unless I drive an hour away to pick it up.

Oh Shoot -

Yes and no, lol. I have another rifle configuration AR but it is typically at work. I guess technically I can keep the spare stock for that rifle legally. But I figure if the man comes knocking and I have the pistol with a stock in the house but my rifle is at work then it will be harder to say it's a spare for the rifle. I guess I just feel better knowing I have no possible way to attach a stock unless I drive an hour away to pick it up.

Gotcha. And that's pretty prudent on your part. Ever since I first made a pistol, I've thought of the "close proximity" thing on three levels: immediate (car, person, range), safe/room area, and whole property (still including vehicles).

It's such a simple thing to do since it only comes down to a short barrel, stock, or vertical forward grip,  why not totally take even the remotest possibility of an axe being ground on you out of the picture.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot