9mm carry/self defense ammo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam
Cant beat it... plus you get 50 rnds.. instead of that stupid 20 number. :screwy:

Who the heck boxes pistol ammo in lots of 20. Pwsh. :P

13627_pd281602full.JPG

So is this what you would suggest for a 3in 1911?

These review are really not helpful except how they may or may not work in a certain guns.

Any they won’t be here either because as you can see you will just get a bunch of postings of what people use.

Since you have decided on 9mm, I don’t assume that you are asking about the caliber as a choice for a carry round, so I assume you are asking about ammo manufacturers.

Any of the proven performers will work fine. Federal Hydra Shok, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady, Winchester Ranger.

If you are looking for the #1 rated defensive pistol ammo; that would be Federal Hydra-Shok. It has owned that title your years. It is what all other pistol rounds are compared to.

:doh:

Any of the proven performers will work fine. Federal Hydra Shok, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady, Winchester Ranger.

If you are looking for the #1 rated defensive pistol ammo; that would be Federal Hydra-Shok. It has owned that title your years. It is what all other pistol rounds are compared to.

So who rated it number one? What research, and in what controlled testing environment was that rating based upon? What specific models and in what calibers did those "proven performers" excel in? What title has the decade old technology held for 4 years?

Guest Todd@CIS

"If you are looking for the #1 rated defensive pistol ammo; that would be Federal Hydra-Shok. It has owned that title your years. It is what all other pistol rounds are compared to."

Maybe 15-20 years ago, but not now.

Federal HydraShok's performance has been far eclipsed by many other rounds...Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST and Tactical, and Winchester Ranger-T all far exceed HydraShok.

Go to www.tacticalforums.com for some credible testing and very knowledgable people on the topic of Terminal Ballistics.

Edited by Todd@CIS
"If you are looking for the #1 rated defensive pistol ammo; that would be Federal Hydra-Shok. It has owned that title your years. It is what all other pistol rounds are compared to."

Maybe 15-20 years ago, but not now.

Federal HydraShok's performance has been far eclipsed by many other rounds...Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST and Tactical, and Winchester Ranger-T all far exceed HydraShok.

Go to www.tacticalforums.com for some credible testing and very knowledgable people on the topic of Terminal Ballistics.

+1:D

Its a EMP 9mm 1911

so how do you like your EMP anyhow? I love mine..its very accurate, beautiful and easy to walk around with!

I'll throw my 2 cents in..it's not worth much except for the fact that I've actually shot people before...:wave: now now..it was a long time ago and I promised I wouldn't do it anymore when I got outta the army.

9mm's are wonderful weapons. so are .45's!

I can say with out any preconceptions that fmj's work wonders...IF YOU PUT THEM WHERE THEY'RE needed.

so do hollow points, etc.

personally, I carry FMJ's in my weapon. If you shoot someone center mass..and more than once, I'm willing to bet good money that they'll go down and sort of wiggle a couple of times..then you may want to step back because when someone expires, their sphincters relax...its pretty disgusting.

Others may disagree but I'll go on personal experience over someone elses' opinion every time.

So who rated it number one? What research, and in what controlled testing environment was that rating based upon? What specific models and in what calibers did those "proven performers" excel in? What title has the decade old technology held for 4 years?

Well I think that is what he wants to know. Not a bunch of posts from people stating what a great defensive round brand “X†is when they have never fired a round at anything other than a target or a can.

Post up some information from some credible sources. I think the FBI use to do ballistics and shooting reports; don’t they publish them anymore?

It’s hard to find “credible†information on rounds designed to shoot people without studying incidents where people were shot.

This would be a good thread to start posting some of the new “credible†information in as well as some of the (sure to follow) amusing information.

I couldn’t get in there without joining. Could you post to links to some of these peoples studies.

Well I think that is what he wants to know. Not a bunch of posts from people stating what a great defensive round brand “X†is when they have never fired a round at anything other than a target or a can.

Post up some information from some credible sources. I think the FBI use to do ballistics and shooting reports; don’t they publish them anymore?

It’s hard to find “credible†information on rounds designed to shoot people without studying incidents where people were shot.

This would be a good thread to start posting some of the new “credible†information in as well as some of the (sure to follow) amusing information.

Dr Gary Roberts is a very credible source. Do a search under his user name DocGKR and youll find a lot of stuff. Yes hes a consultant to the joint FBI and USMC munitions testing program and whole hell of alot more. His bio...

"Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching

hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry and surgery. After

completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied

at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and

became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association. Since then, he

has been tasked with performing military, law enforcement, and privately funded independent

wound ballistic testing and analysis. He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served

on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC

munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked to provide wound

ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations. In addition,

he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a

variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement agencies. He has been a sworn Reserve

Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role."

If you want to see his list of pistol ammo look here...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7291&page=2

Also if you want to see his bio and one of his reports on small arms ammo look here...

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

I also would dig around on here since you dont have to join...

http://www.firearmstactical.com/

Guest Todd@CIS

I couldn’t get in there without joining. Could you post to links to some of these peoples studies.

Umm, I guess I could.

Or, you could just join...it is free.

Guest nraforlife
Knoxville cops apparently use Golden Saber 124 gr regular pressure, I've been told. Everything points to it being among the most effective rounds anyway.

Thought I might as well carry (soon as I can) with same thing, maybe a tad of legal help if the second worst thing ever happens.

- OS

GS in all my pieces - 38 .40 and .45

I'm gonna switch to DRT.

Shoot through a telephone pole to get the badguy without hitting the hostage standing right behind him.

Also safe to shoot inside as it won't penetrate sheetrock, but will vaporize flesh (and watermelons).

Great all around stuff, seems.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM463-5.html

http://www.drtammo.com/

- OS

If going by looks alone,its got my vote! :wave:

AMM-463.jpg

Any they won’t be here either because as you can see you will just get a bunch of postings of what people use.

Since you have decided on 9mm, I don’t assume that you are asking about the caliber as a choice for a carry round, so I assume you are asking about ammo manufacturers.

You've answered, in part, what I'm looking for. Yes, I decided on 9mm, so that's not to be debated.

I added the 2nd post stating Glock 19 or 26 so those people who carry Glocks and have used specific rounds can comment better on how those rounds feed thru the Glocks.

I knew that I would get replies stating personal opinions and that's fine. Part of what I was looking for was size of the bullet, ie 115gr, 124gr, or 147gr. Hopefully, none of us will have to take a life or at least be in a shootout, so opinions on what you feel comfortable with in your carry weapon is also what I'm looking for.

It's actually more important to me knowing that bullet X is going to feed reliably in my gun and not that it's going to be going 1000 ft per sec. It doesn't matter how fast the bullets going if it doesn't feed properly.

I'm going to try a few different brands, test them, and decide. With all of your responses, I have a good place to start. Thank you.

Guest eyebedam
so how do you like your EMP anyhow? I love mine..its very accurate, beautiful and easy to walk around with!

I'll throw my 2 cents in..it's not worth much except for the fact that I've actually shot people before...:wave: now now..it was a long time ago and I promised I wouldn't do it anymore when I got outta the army.

9mm's are wonderful weapons. so are .45's!

I can say with out any preconceptions that fmj's work wonders...IF YOU PUT THEM WHERE THEY'RE needed.

so do hollow points, etc.

personally, I carry FMJ's in my weapon. If you shoot someone center mass..and more than once, I'm willing to bet good money that they'll go down and sort of wiggle a couple of times..then you may want to step back because when someone expires, their sphincters relax...its pretty disgusting.

Others may disagree but I'll go on personal experience over someone elses' opinion every time.

I love it. It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned. I've orfered 6 boxes of diff brands of ammo. I ordered some custom grips from Larry Davidson. I'll boat pics & write a review when I get them. I've only put 200 rss through it. I'm gonna put 200 more through it & it will be my everyday carry.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a local source with decent pricing for any of those?

I want to try a bunch of .40 and .45ACP in a couple of weapons to see how they feed. But buying Hydra-Shoks in 20 round boxes gets pretty expensive.

(Murfreesboro/Nashville)

Ya that box of 20 stuff is a clever RIP off. But you can get just about everything in a box of 50 for about the price of those 20 ct boxes. The only one I haven't seen in a 50ct is the Corbon/Barnes stuff. I don't know of anyone in the immediate area that has the 50ct boxes. If there is a vendor here that has some of the stuff off of docs list please let us know. I usually get my ammo from either http://www.ammunitiontogo.com or http://mahsupplies.net/ If your using Dr Roberts list just remember to pay attention to the model #. For instance you'll find a few models of Ranger 124+p...but make sure you look for (RA9124TP)

If going by looks alone,its got my vote! :rolleyes:

AMM-463.jpg

The lawsuit that follows a shoot using this stuff will be entertaining, no doubt.

Lawyer: Sir, did you buy this ammunition just because of the hot babes on the box?

PoorBastard: No sir, I, um, bought them because they would not shoot through sheet rock!

Lawyer: So you planned to only shoot at sheetrock? Why did you shoot my client's son then?

PoorBastard: Because he was trying to rob me where there was no sheet rock I guess.

:screwy:

Guest Dean_JC78

I got some Federal Hydroshocks and they rock IMO. Though lucky for the potential preditors, I have not had to use them in defense yet, just a few test shots at the range.