New to this forum, not new to guns

Guest oldmanjoe

Guest oldmanjoe

Hello, all. My name is Joe. I moved to Jackson last year and I am enjoying life in Tennessee. I am retired, love to fish, but haven't done much due to health issues. While I believe the 1911 is one of the greatest handgun designs (except for single stack mag), and .45 is extrememly effective as a self defense caliber, I carry a 9mm. Arthritis (my hands hurt for days after a range trip with a .45 in a small concealable frame) and ammo costs led to my switch to 9mm.

My favorite gun to shoot all day is my Ruger MKIII. It is extrememly accurate and .22LR is extremely cheap (though it and 9mm are hard to find these days). The only issue I have with the MKIII is it is a b***h to tear down and clean. In fact, it is lying disassembled right now because I can not get the bolt stop pin back in place. Guess I need a bigger hammer.

I am not much of a hunter, so no rifles, just a couple shotguns.

I am a Vietnam vet. I was handed an M16 when I got to Okinawa, after doing all my training with the M14. I have to say that I do not understand the fascination with AR15s and all the uproar about "assault weapons". My experience was that the .223 was lousy as far as a "people killing" load. It just didn't have enough mass to be effective unless you put the bullet into a critical spot.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Joe, and welcome.  'Preciate your service.

I'm with you on the "black rifles," but to each his own, I suppose.  And I'm with you on the Ruger Mk III, too.  Love to shoot it.  HATE to break it down and clean it.

My dad (Korea era) loves my Ruger mini-14 -- and the .223 works well on varmints.  But when he inspected an AR with me at the LGS, he noted that it just "didn't seem right" to him.  Guess we're all getting older and set in our ways, 'cause my boy really likes 'em.

Guest oldmanjoe

Confidence, I have a Winchester 12 ga over/under that is a nice bird gun(except for the 2 shot limit) and a Sears "Ted Williams" 20 ga pump that is older than most of the folks on this forum. I am thinking about getting either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 with a short barrel for the house. Joe Biden was right when he said a shotgun was the best home defense weapon. If he had shut up then, instead of going on about double barrels and warning shots, I would have been forced to agree with him for the first time in history.

Guest oldmanjoe

Safeandsecure, my oldest son is right there with your son. He has at least 2 in his gun safe, and thinks they are more fun than sex(almost).

Welcome!

AR is popular because they are accurate with cheap ammo, have big mags, and are highly customizable.   Most folks with them have no need or desire to hit anything but paper with them.