$40 HCP CLASS

Guest Grout

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sling
Good lord thats a cheap price....is it legal ;-D I have some friends wanting to get their HCP...anyone know anything about this place?

Is it actually good? Thats the other question...:popcorn:

Guest Revelator

Yeah, I would be distrustful of anything that is priced so far below the going rate. But it sounds like they're a new kid on the block and maybe this is just a short-term thing for them to develop some biz.

They are just starting out.

Just keep in mind... you get what you pay for. Back in the day there were lots of "trainers" sprouting up everywhere with "cheap" prices. Now they are all out of buisness. Where does that leave you if you get involved in a shooting and need them? Experience and stability does matter.

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in concerning TAC 2. The classes at TAC2 are well worth the money. My wife recently took the womens only handgun class and the HCP class. You have small classes(max 10 students) with alot of individual attention. The class I took at a local range, with alot less information and you shot the required # rounds. At his classes you get alot of trigger time. At least 200 rounds of practice. Check the Web site at www.tac2.com.

Edited by ghawk249
Guest GLOCKGUY
They are just starting out.

Just keep in mind... you get what you pay for. Back in the day there were lots of "trainers" sprouting up everywhere with "cheap" prices. Now they are all out of buisness. Where does that leave you if you get involved in a shooting and need them? Experience and stability does matter.

Why would you need them if you get in to a shooting? They are there to help you get your HCP. Not to hold your hand in court. And does it really matter if there good or not they have to follow state guide lines . Your not there for self defense training your there to get your HCP thats all. After that you can go get training form more qualified people.

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest Grout

The $40 class is a limited summer special,presumably because class sizes are smaller when it is so hot.Clifford Bryant is no new guy starting out.He has been teaching for years. He also has hosted the likes of Massad Ayoob,Bennie Cooley,Mike Voight and Ken Hackathorn teaching their classes up there as well.

Edited by Grout

Well, I don't know if the class is good or not, but a lot of folks over our way aren't interested in being taught to shoot. They just want the paperwork to get a carry permit and become legal. But if you want some real training, by all means take a real class.

Class prices are reasonable around here. I took my class at Unaka Rod & Gun for $50. I understand one LE department does them for free.

It would have been silly for me, and most of the people in my carry class, to be instructed in proper shooting techniques. There were a couple of people who could have used a more comprehensive course of instruction, but they were the exception. I tailor my recommendations for a carry permit class to the experience of the shooter. I suspect some cheap classes are just fine for the people taking them. They really don't need any instruction - just a pamphlet that explains Tennessee Code.

Tac 2 has been around for a while.Mid-late 90s IIRC.Check out Doc's credentials,a hell of a lot more than most people teaching a HCP class.

Wow, I must be getting old. I thought they were new, from what Double said. But yea Docs been around a while, but im not sure if he was around in the mid 90's... There were only a few of us that were teaching back then. Anyway, now it makes sense if its a $40 "summer special".

Guest pjblurton

You know what, I say pay the lowest possible price for a HCP class.

I learned absolutely nothing from mine and it was $85! In fact, I think I got a little dumber just for sitting through it! Just get a legal certificate and go about your business.

As far as "you get what you pay for".... If you want to take some advanced classes on personal defense, home security, blah blah blah... Hit up the reputable schools and pay top dollar.

But for HCP, the cheaper the better.

Guest GLOCKGUY

I learned absolutely nothing from mine and it was $85! In fact, I think I got a little dumber just for sitting through it! Just get a legal certificate and go about your business.

As far as "you get what you pay for".... If you want to take some advanced classes on personal defense, home security, blah blah blah... Hit up the reputable schools and pay top dollar.

I agree we shouldn't have to pay to carry our guns any ways :up:

Guest abailey362

my thoughts exactly. I learned nothing from my class, which cost $75, and would have gladly taken the cheapest one out there (which this was in chattanooga area).

and to reiterate the info above, if you want good instruction, pay the price...HCP classes should be free

I can't say anything specific about the class, but I know Doc personally (although, I haven't seen him in a while). If I had to guess, I'd guess the class is, at the very least, as good as you can get anywhere else, but probably better.

Was that nice and generic enough? :D

Guest diverTM

Hi, new member here. I have to second what ghawk249 said. I took the Personal Protection Handgun class a month or so ago; this one was all women. Doc was very thorough, and it was all range time - no sitting around listening to a lecture. It lasted from 8 am to about 7 pm, and I did lots of stuff I never would have done just standing at the nearest range to my house.

Definitely got my money's worth!

We are talking about the Handgun Carry Permit class, not the Personal Protection class. If he does the HCP class at the same time as the Personal Protection class, he would have to have the lecture stuff or the class wouldn't be legal for Handgun Carry.

• 3 weeks later...
...A HCP class not a training class...

Quoted for effect.

Considering that the majority of the information in the state's video is incorrect, misleading, or flat-out biased... and any instructor worth their salt has to spend most of the class time providing the correct information, which the video fails to provide, so the class is simply a 'certification'. Also, the range qualification is simply a rubber-stamp... I've heard of folks who were legally blind passing just fine.

In light of this, unless the HCP class is combined with an NRA Basic Pistol class, or the like, it's in your best interests to get the cheapest one out there and do your own free research on the pertinent laws.

Considering that the majority of the information in the state's video is incorrect, misleading, or flat-out biased... and any instructor worth their salt has to spend most of the class time providing the correct information, which the video fails to provide,

Eddie,

I am definitely in agreement that the TDOS video desperately needs to be updated, shortened, and the production values brought up somewhat.

I'm not sure I would say, though, that the "majority" of the video is out of whack. Besides my following list, what else do you take exception to ?

1. This is a GLOCK .357 Magnum and mediocre, at best, gun handling

2. Outdated info on carrying in establishments that sell for off premises consumption.

3. Outdated info on no posting required - verbal only will suffice

4. Gray area on home defense - statute says "forcible entry" but video shows the guy entering through an unlocked patio door

5. The entire ridiculous spectacle of the traffic stop at the end of the video.

6. The numerous times we're told carrying is a "privilege"

Eddie,

I am definitely in agreement that the TDOS video desperately needs to be updated, shortened, and the production values brought up somewhat.

I'm not sure I would say, though, that the "majority" of the video is out of whack. Besides my following list, what else do you take exception to ?

1. This is a GLOCK .357 Magnum and mediocre, at best, gun handling

2. Outdated info on carrying in establishments that sell for off premises consumption.

3. Outdated info on no posting required - verbal only will suffice

4. Gray area on home defense - statute says "forcible entry" but video shows the guy entering through an unlocked patio door

5. The entire ridiculous spectacle of the traffic stop at the end of the video.

6. The numerous times we're told carrying is a "privilege"

I would have to watch it again to lay out a full list, and give it due credit or criticism. But I do remember from last year (when my wife took the class), that there was little if any accurate, up-to-date, or relevant legal information provided. Most of it was feel-good advice which was either misleading and had no basis in actual law.

I haven't run across many knowledgable people who don't feel the video is at least inadequete, and at most a complete joke. Showing solely the video in a class would result in totally un-informed, confused students... if the state wants their permit-holders adequetely and uniformly certified, the information in the video should be complete and accurate, only requiring the instructor to emphasis and clarify the information, in their own presentation, instead of the current need to contradict and correct it.