Need some help

I have a VERY sick family (mom and 2/3 kids) right now and with a 2 week old I need to kill as many germs as possible. I have so far prevented her from getting sick but now that my wife has caught it, it is getting harder to fight it. I have found online products that are basically Lysol Bombs. They are disinfectant foggers. I am not looking to replace the normal disinfecting that I am doing I just want to add this to the cleaning. I would like to "bomb" the room that the sick kids are in when they go to bed and then "Bomb" their rooms when they go back to quarantine. I have gone through 15+ cans of Lysol and would just like to make life a little easier by going over high contact areas with bleach or lysol and "bomb" the rest of the room.

Does anyone know where I can get these locally? If I order online it will take to long to get them as they cannot be overnighted.

I do not know.  But bleach kills almost everything, if that helps.  Its also not good on some things, but where you can use it, its the #1 bug killer.

You might try a local hospital, they might have a few of *something* you could buy / beg for, if the stores are a no-go. 

You might find it online with overnight shipping for a premium fee, worth it?

food for thought:

http://www.lysol.com/lysol-community/conversation/foggerbomb-3492

A comment by a lysol person!

... sorry a fogger/bomb type product would not be an effective surface disinfectant due to its limited and possibly uneven coverage of surfaces. Lysol® Disinfectant Spray, in its current form, offers a much more effective solution as it can be used accurately on a specific surface target, especially areas that are prone to carry germs such as handles, knobs, counters and other commonly touched surfaces.

Edited by Jonnin
I'd just get Lysol spray. My wife caught a violent stomach bug during our trip out to Vegas. Being cooped up in the hotel room with her, I sprayed the ever living daylights out of that room. I never caught it. :-)

Sounds like you might quarantine the baby instead of everyone else.  Perhaps use an air purifier in the baby's room.   I fully understand the paranoia of being sick when you've got an infant.  It sounds like you're doing all you can. 

I'd just get Lysol spray. My wife caught a violent stomach bug during our trip out to Vegas. Being cooped up in the hotel room with her, I sprayed the ever living daylights out of that room. I never caught it. :-)

So far it has worked, the kids started vomiting on Monday night and I have been the one taking care of them and I have not caught it yet. I just figured setting off 3-4 bombs at a time throuout the house would save me a little time and allow me to use that extra time to sleep. I have not gotten much because I am spending almost all day spraying Lysol on everything. The bombs would atleast get the floors and the tops of everything.

food for thought:

http://www.lysol.com/lysol-community/conversation/foggerbomb-3492

A comment by a lysol person!

... sorry a fogger/bomb type product would not be an effective surface disinfectant due to its limited and possibly uneven coverage of surfaces. Lysol® Disinfectant Spray, in its current form, offers a much more effective solution as it can be used accurately on a specific surface target, especially areas that are prone to carry germs such as handles, knobs, counters and other commonly touched surfaces.

I figure that is legal mumbo jumbo, they are just covering themselves just in case someone gets sick

Sounds like you might quarantine the baby instead of everyone else.  Perhaps use an air purifier in the baby's room.   I fully understand the paranoia of being sick when you've got an infant.  It sounds like you're doing all you can. 

The baby is in a room by herself with the doors shut and sheets thumb tacked on each side. I am the only one in or out. I change clothes and use sanitizer before I go in. We have the AC off and windows open. I cant think of anything else to do.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you kill all the bad germs do you not also kill of all the beneficial ones?  http://www.netplaces.com/healthy-home-guide/killing-germs/not-all-germs-are-bad.htm

True, but you don't want an infant to get a nasty stomach bug.  It can get ugly very fast.

Now that my youngest is 2, I've mostly resigned myself to the fact that we're gonna share everything. Thankfully the little one seems to have gotten my wife's immune system, which is clearly stronger than mine.  She gets the sniffles for a few days, I spend 2 days in bed and have a sinus infection for 2 weeks.  Don't get me wrong, I make an effort to keep things clean and fuss at the kids about washing their hands and such, but so far it seems inevitable.

The baby is in a room by herself with the doors shut and sheets thumb tacked on each side. I am the only one in or out. I change clothes and use sanitizer before I go in. We have the AC off and windows open. I cant think of anything else to do.

That's a lot more than I've ever done.

If you use a quality pleated HVAC system filter, there's no reason not to run the AC.  Switching the system fan (air handler) to "on" rather than "auto" will actually help clean the air, especially since we're in the midst of pollen season.

• Admin Team

If it's the strain of Norovirus that's been prevalent this year, bleach is your ultimate friend.  From a friend of mine at the CDC:

• Bleach trumps all when disinfecting surfaces, toys etc...  Doesn't need to be full strength.  Normal cleaning dilution is fine.
  • Hand sanitizer is ineffective against it.  But soap and water works fine.
  • It can live on surfaces for days, and some people continue to shed the virus for 3 days after symptoms have stopped
  • No preparing food for others for three days after symptoms have stopped
  • For little ones who can't reliably keep their hands clean, quarantine is key
  • For little ones who get sick, dehydration is the biggest factor - hydrate as much as possible
  • Like 1
Check out this website www.naturessunshine.com and look for Silver Shield. The liquid is great for fighting off everything (take a couple teaspoons a day by mouth) and the gel would be great for the baby (cleaning hands, etc).
Killing all the germs in the house is a good and bad thing. You need to cure from within while disinfecting the the house at the same time.
My sister has a natural health degree and recommends it for daily use. Helps build your immune system up to keep from getting sick and getting over what ales you.
Do your research on the natural healing powers of silver, pretty incredible.
Hope your household is feeling better soon.

Here's my official disclaimer: I'm not a Dr and you should contact one to cure your sickness. I know what has worked for me and many many other people and can only recommend those for you to do your own research on and see if they fit your specific needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that baby breast fed? We had all that crap (literally) a few months back and my little girl was about 2 weeks old. She was the only one that didn't get sick. Our doc is old school and big on breasts, says breast milk is full of antibodies and that's likely why she wasn't violently ill like us. Plus they carry immunities from the mother for a while I was lead to believe.

Sucks though cause if she does get sick there ain't much you can do. Bout all you can do is keep doing what you are as far as cleaning and stuff though. I'm sure you and her have been exposed to it hopefully ya'll can fight it off.

(I had it on election day and decided I'd risk sh!ttin' my pants in front of many people i know in my community to vote against the one they call president.) Edited by JWC
  • Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

Yeah I would stick to basic cleaning/disinfection with bleach. The more germs you keep off kids the weaker their immune system will be in general as they get older. That is why they advised for so long not to use hand sanitizer on kids. I get it is a bad bug and you def don't want an infant to catch anything serious but short of handing them off to a family member (in a different home) they will get exposed...repeatedly.

If you're concerned about something in the air there is a thing called "Lamp Berger" it was developed for hospitals to kill the germs in the air. It has an alcohol base and you light it, then blow it out. From there is pulls air through this heated stone and purifies it that way as well as whatever the liquid is.

I doubt its CYA, on the same page she says the spray variety does a better job.  If it were CYA, she would have put down the spray as ineffective as well.   She clearly states the spray is better than the bombs and that the bombs are not recommended.    Could be, of course, you KNOW that a lysol rep is trying to make their products out to be the best etc, but it sounds like an honest answer given the comments about both products.

And unsaid of course is .... the bomb's cant hurt, and may help.  I would certainly use them if I could find some..!!

Edited by Jonnin

Is that baby breast fed? We had all that crap (literally) a few months back and my little girl was about 2 weeks old. She was the only one that didn't get sick. Our doc is old school and big on breasts, says breast milk is full of antibodies and that's likely why she wasn't violently ill like us. Plus they carry immunities from the mother for a while I was lead to believe.

Sucks though cause if she does get sick there ain't much you can do. Bout all you can do is keep doing what you are as far as cleaning and stuff though. I'm sure you and her have been exposed to it hopefully ya'll can fight it off.

(I had it on election day and decided I'd risk sh!ttin' my pants in front of many people i know in my community to vote against the one they call president.)

Yep.  Both my boys were born in the dead of winter and never even got the sniffles until my wife stopped breast feeding them. 

If it's the strain of Norovirus that's been prevalent this year, bleach is your ultimate friend.  From a friend of mine at the CDC:

• Bleach trumps all when disinfecting surfaces, toys etc...  Doesn't need to be full strength.  Normal cleaning dilution is fine.
  • Hand sanitizer is ineffective against it.  But soap and water works fine.
  • It can live on surfaces for days, and some people continue to shed the virus for 3 days after symptoms have stopped
  • No preparing food for others for three days after symptoms have stopped
  • For little ones who can't reliably keep their hands clean, quarantine is key
  • For little ones who get sick, dehydration is the biggest factor - hydrate as much as possible

man aint that the truth...i agree bleach w water trumps all,use in a small misting sprayer and allow to dry then wipe off any residue.Mold remediation guys dont want anyone to know this but the CDC does promote the simple  use of bleach strategically applied to kill mold fungus and GERMS.

(I had it on election day and decided I'd risk sh!ttin' my pants in front of many people i know in my community to vote against the one they call president.)

she is breastfed, and we look like we are in the clear. The newborn and I are doing great. The wife and the 1 and 2yo are a lot better.