M1917, M1903 or Garand

Guest RonB

Guest RonB

Hi folks,

I need some direction, more specifically my father-in-law does.  The above three rifles are the models he is interested in.  In that order as well.  The needs are fairly basic, fireable, all original hardware, hardware doesn't have to be orginal to the gun.  My father-in-law wants to see it before he purchases.  So...where to find something like this?  Will a regular Gun and Knife show generally have something like this?  Is my best bet looking on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica and hoping someone is local?

Thank you folks,

Ron

Start going to gun shows and watch what people are walking around with.  You will usually see one if not all three.  There is always something on some dealer table but most often it is overpriced and worn out, at least at Knoxville shows.

The CMP forum has a for sale section with all three usually available.  They are very good about posting pics and describing things over there.  Good resource.

You can always put up a want ad here.

Edited by Garufa

You will typically find several of each at any gun show in the larger TN cities.  This would at least give him the chance to look some over and get an idea of pricing.  I occasionally see some reasonably priced.

yup I gave it a good go but I found better deals elsewhere.

You truly got lucky, I cant say I have ever seen a Garand as nice as the one I got for less than I paid CMP. And the few I have seen cheaper were either shot out or junk.
  • Like 1

I have a few m1's that would give ya some wood. These carbines that would sell for 1100 - 1200 on CMP I got for 800.  A "New" Garand, H&R for 1200 and a 1903 as well as a 1917 for under 600. they are out there you just have to look.

Depending on condition, $699 for a Remington Model 1903 would be a fair asking price.  

For WWII, Remington made 348,085 Model 1903 rifles on Rock Island Arsenal tooling that had been in storage since post-WWI.  The Remington 03s were in production from Oct 41 until Mar 43.  In Feb 43 Remington switched over to making the Model 1903A3.

I gotta agree with NRA about the CMP. IMHO it's not what it's cracked up to be. Yes, the folks that haunt the forums are helpful but the CMP is just another money grabbing Ho in Govt clothing. Go ahead ask me why?

Anyone old enough to remember the DCM? It was actually set up to teach civilians who could legally own firearms how to shoot and allowed them to purchase military surplus firearms. Kinda like keeping our folks knowledgeable about shooting skills. Militia? Let's not go there right now because the real issue is all they do now is take in surplus rifles, run a safety check on them and then pretty much sell them to the highest bidder. Somehow and IMHO that was never the reason for the DCM.

I remember you could go to a DCM shoot, qualify with a Garand and walk away with one new in the box for $200. Now it's, "if you want a Carbine then go to the auction and bid on one".

So, is it a civilian marksmanship program or just another way to make a bunch of money, that goes where, to do what? If the rifles were meant for U.S. folks then they should ALL be put up for sale on a first come, first served basis with a set price and no auctions along with 1 per customer. When now more sales are forth coming then open rifles back up to allow one more per customer.

So yes, I agree with NRA.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1

I gotta agree with NRA about the CMP. IMHO it's not what it's cracked up to be. Yes, the folks that haunt the forums are helpful but the CMP is just another money grabbing Ho in Govt clothing. Go ahead ask me why?

Anyone old enough to remember the DCM? It was actually set up to teach civilians who could legally own firearms how to shoot and allowed them to purchase military surplus firearms. Kinda like keeping our folks knowledgeable about shooting skills. Militia? Let's not go there right now because the real issue is all they do now is take in surplus rifles, run a safety check on them and then pretty much sell them to the highest bidder. Somehow and IMHO that was never the reason for the DCM.

I remember you could go to a DCM shoot, qualify with a Garand and walk away with one new in the box for $200. Now it's, "if you want a Carbine then go to the auction and bid on one".

So, is it a civilian marksmanship program or just another way to make a bunch of money, that goes where, to do what? If the rifles were meant for U.S. folks then they should ALL be put up for sale on a first come, first served basis with a set price and no auctions along with 1 per customer. When now more sales are forth coming then open rifles back up to allow one more per customer.

So yes, I agree with NRA.

Lp

There are so may incorrect statements in your post that I must reply.

- Anyone old enough to remember the DCM?  Me

- It was actually set up to teach civilians who could legally own firearms how to shoot and allowed them to purchase military surplus firearms.  Still is. Read the mission statement on the CMP home page.  http://www.odcmp.com/ 

- Kinda like keeping our folks knowledgeable about shooting skills.   That is why I am a CMP Master Instructor.  We instruct at No Charge to the shooter.

- Let's not go there right now because the real issue is all they do now is take in surplus rifles, run a safety check on them and then pretty much sell them to the highest bidder.  Only on the auction site for rare examples.   http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/

- I remember you could go to a DCM shoot, qualify with a Garand and walk away with one new in the box for $200.  Yup, back in the 1980s.  Mail orders took up to a year to two years.

- If the rifles were meant for U.S. folks then they should ALL be put up for sale on a first come, first served basis with a set price and no auctions along with 1 per customer. Still selling direct, go to the rifle sales section and send in your order.    http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

• Like 2
Guest fastreb

+2 to why Dmark posted

I'm definitely old enough to remember the DCM and when Congress changed it over, like everything else, from a subsidized entity to a have to fund themselves (or even expected to turn a profit) entity. Since 1980, Congress has done this in all areas. From 1979 - 1985, I was in the Navy. A friend of mine did get his DCM M1 Garand after shooting his match (even his being Navy didn't exempt him from this back then), filling out many more pages of paperwork than you do now and waiting about 10 months. That was in 1984. Last year, I jumped online, filled out about four pages, printed them out, got one notized, sent copies of my bonafides and money, then recieved my what looked like new M1 Garand in less than a month, and for less than what many beaters were going for on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica. Sorry, but if you want to rant, take Congress to task. When I first joined the military, you couldn't find one item in the PX or Commisary that wasn't at least 50% cheaper than on the economy. Now, many times, many of the items are even more expensive than buying on the economy.