255 members have voted

1. 1. Do you open, conceal carry, or both.

• Conceal
    • Open
    • Both

Guest MiniGunGal

Concealed is smart. But open carry makes the women want you.

Unless, of course, SHE is OC'ing a bigger better weapon....  (You know, it really IS all about size!!!   :bowrofl:  )

Unless, of course, SHE is OC'ing a bigger better weapon....  (You know, it really IS all about size!!!   :bowrofl:  )

I was at Dicks sporting goods before all this happened. A pretty young lady came back to the gun counter asking for ammo for her gun. Guy asked what caliber, she said she didn't know but had the gun with her. Said she had used what she had at the range that morning shooting it for the first time. She pulls of a .50 desert eagle from her purse. She was not joking, she was not playing. She was dead serious. Makes me scared of some of the women out there.

i had to laugh at one OC fool over the weekend.  He had a level 1 retention holster and was OC.  If I was a bad guy I very easily could have picked his weapon and at the same time shoved the center of his back and he never would have known what hit him.  :screwy:

i had to laugh at one OC fool over the weekend.  He had a level 1 retention holster and was OC.  If I was a bad guy I very easily could have picked his weapon and at the same time shoved the center of his back and he never would have known what hit him.  :screwy:

Now I have a level 1 holster that is harder to get out than 99% of level 2 and a lot of level 3's. When I stick my gun in it, it is like a die press has clamped down on either side. I would never carry with it for fear of not being able to get my gun out to use.

Now I have a level 1 holster that is harder to get out than 99% of level 2 and a lot of level 3's. When I stick my gun in it, it is like a die press has clamped down on either side. I would never carry with it for fear of not being able to get my gun out to use.

have you adjusted it too loosen it up?

Wow...three pages and no one has called anyone else an idiot yet...I'm impressed! :)

I suggest people carry in the way that is comfortable for them while taking their location(s) into consideration...creating an "incident", even unintentionally, does nothing positive for the gun-owning community at large.

• Like 1

I have taken to pocket carrying a lot.  It isn't my favorite method but it works, keeps the firearm accessible and is a pretty 'low key' way to carry as far as being 'made'.

I do prefer to carry in a belt holster and I will carry that way at times.  When I do so, it is in an OWB holster with a cover garment.  Depending on a person's build, I think it is possible to conceal just as well using that method as with an IWB holster (I simply cannot do IWB.)

Obviously, if I carry one of my larger handguns then I cannot pocket carry and will belt carry but I also sometimes choose to belt carry even when carrying my J-frame.  One thing I have noticed about myself that I have also seen mentioned by some, other people on this forum is that I have changed my carry habits after having the HCP for a few years.  There was a time when I would most often belt carry a 9mm OWB with a cover garment, a spare mag on the weak side and a small BUG in my weak side pocket.  On some, rare occasions I would even have a second BUG in an ankle holster.  Now, most often I carry my J-frame (either in a pocket or in an OWB holster) along with a single reload in a speed strip and feel adequately armed for the environs in which I normally find myself.  That, of course, makes concealment much easier.  Now, if I am going to an area where the threat level is higher than the areas I normally frequent there is a good chance I will still go with the higher capacity pistol and a spare mag with a cover garment but those times are relatively few.

So as far as OC or CC goes, I tend to CC in public.  Sometimes, though, for me CC means simply using a cover garment over an OWB holster.  On such occasions, I generally don't stress too much about 'incidental exposure' nor am I overly concerned about 'printing' when I pocket carry.  I believe that is a big part of the reason TN didn't go with 'CC only' when writing the carry laws - not so much to encourage open carry as to prevent folks who are CCing from catching grief over accidental/incidental exposure such as their cover garment blowing aside in the wind, etc. (although OC is perfectly legal and, of course, up to the individual.)

At home or at my neighbors' houses (my mom is my neighbor on one side and my sister, BIL and their kids are my neighbors on the other) I pretty much always OC.  Heck, for that matter we live in a rural area so a lot of the time around there I will be carrying a shotgun instead of or in addition to a handgun.

Edited by JAB

Wow...three pages and no one has called anyone else an idiot yet...I'm impressed! :)

I suggest people carry in the way that is comfortable for them while taking their location(s) into consideration...creating an "incident", even unintentionally, does nothing positive for the gun-owning community at large.

Yes, and thank you to everyone. I know this is old dirt for a lot of you. But there are those of us who this is unturned soil. So thank you for the patience and advice.

• Like 1

Yes, and thank you to everyone. I know this is old dirt for a lot of you. But there are those of us who this is unturned soil. So thank you for the patience and advice.

Open or concealed, choice of caliber, revolver or semiauto - all of these things are up for debate.  The only hard and fast rule is that, upon getting your HCP, you are required to do some version of the Wally walk.

Heck, when I first got mine, I didn't even know there was such a term as 'Wally walk' but I still did it.  Somehow, it just seemed natural.  I had to laugh, later, when I found out that doing so was such a prevalent thing that there was a term for it.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
Guest 270win

Carrying a handgun while 'going armed' is a crime in Tennessee.  A permit is a defense to prosecution here in addition to others like hunting or being at your business or home.  I see no reason to expose a handgun in public and give a LEO cause to ask questions.  Also with other nice gray areas like schools, some parks, and these other silly signs, why expose myself to criminal liability by carrying open and accidently go into a place I am not supposed to be?  What happens if I am open carrying in a city I am not familiar with and accidently walk on university property or some obscure place that has a school?  I'm not giving a LEO probable cause out and about by open carrying.  I look at concealing as sort of a 5th Amendment type deal.

I figure by concealing about the only time I may be asked if I have a permit is when I am in a traffic stop and a LEO asks for my DL and my permit shows up.  I know I am generally 99,9% legal with my gun in my car with a permit about anywhere.  If I don't conceal in public, the chance of getting asked to prove i'm legal increases to situations outside of the normal traffic stop.  Besides being involved in a traffic stop, about the only time my gun would be found would be a detailed search that happens because of probable cause of a crime or maybe I hit a place with metal detectors and do not take my gun back to the car.  I don't walk around drunk, am clean cut, so that would be pretty rare.  I've never been searched, so doubt that will happen in the future.

Edited by 270win

i had to laugh at one OC fool over the weekend. He had a level 1 retention holster and was OC. If I was a bad guy I very easily could have picked his weapon and at the same time shoved the center of his back and he never would have known what hit him. :screwy:

This is another reason I wouldn't feel comfortable OCing. Even with a great retention holster I would constantly be nervous about having people behind me, such as standing in line somewhere. I realize that a lot of stars would have to align in order for something like that to happen but it would make me nervous nonetheless.

Open or concealed, choice of caliber, revolver or semiauto - all of these things are up for debate.  The only hard and fast rule is that, upon getting your HCP, you are required to do some version of the Wally walk.

Heck, when I first got mine, I didn't even know there was such a term as 'Wally walk' but I still did it.  Somehow, it just seemed natural.  I had to laugh, later, when I found out that doing so was such a prevalent thing that there was a term for it.

The "Wally Walk" is out of fad and long gone. Just go about your daily business, except with a concealed weapon!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

I had to look up what "wally walk" meant...I've never done it as I don't shop at Wallyworld (it's against my religion).

:up:  :up: :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:   

• Like 1
Guest Grout

This is one of the can of worms topics.  See also Glock vs. 1911 for further reference.

Carry as the situation requires.  Don't be Kwik but no need to be the uber cc guy either.

your post should be a sticky alomg with 9mm vs .45 acp

Guest Scwrod

I mostly CC and occasionally OC.  I am not concerned with LEO asking questions or anyone for that matter. I have nothing to hide. I know if I ever really need it, open carry would be the quickest access. How do LEO's carry??  when I do OC I pay more attention to my surroundings.  To each his/her own. I practice both methods :) Anything but PC (pocket Carry)

Guest viajeromy

I prefer OC. I ride a motorcycle almost everyday that I can, and it makes it much easier and enjoyable to ride with my tank of a beretta 92fs on my belt within my kydex holster system. Besides that I like the fact that I am able to exercise my 1st and 2nd amendment right.

I only get positive feedback from people. I usually have people just ask about how difficult it is to obtain a permit, from a girl a mcdonalds to an old man at a car wash. Maybe I just come off as a decent moral young adult who has sense enough to carry a weapon. I know people in my town do not see many exposed weapons in their daily routine, but they don't seem to mind if they even noticed it to begin with.

There are times however, where a situation dictates that you would be better off CC. For that I have a comptac minotaur holster. But since I just got my newest kydex holster (soon to be reviewed), my comptac has pretty much been a nightstand holster.

EDC Beretta 92fs @ 3-4 O'clock

If I rode a motorcycle I would want to open carry, simply for the comfort level. If you have a permit and are following the law, I see you should have nothing to worry about. So there are sheeple everywhere, let them worry about themselves and leave us law abiding folk alone. When I ride my atv, I open carry mainly for the snakes, though since I have been open carrying out on the trails the drunk riders have'nt bothered me any.

• 1 month later...
Guest viajeromy

Well I am a sport bike rider. Not the classic HD hardass look or build. I dress conservativly, usually jeans and a t-shirt. I guess the only thing that may stand out are my exposed tattoos on my arm. I've been told that I look presentable and that uppon noticing I had a firearm it was just simply a feeling of unexpectedness. Anyways, I tried the C-Tac holster riding about 3 or 4 different times and still don't feel comfortable.

I think as long as you look presentable, Sheeple won't even notice. And when they do, they may as themselves why I'm carrying rather than "is this guy going to shoot his gun clip empty while holding his gat sideways?"