255 members have voted

1. 1. Do you open, conceal carry, or both.

• Conceal
    • Open
    • Both

Was just wondering what people did the most of. And why do you prefer your carry choice. Let me know what you feel are the disadvantages and advantages to your chosen method. And likewise for your unchosen method. If you do both then explain why you do some places and others you don't. Just trying to get a grasp of what would be best for me when I start to carry. Thanks for the feedback.

Rarely. But if I do, I don't pay it any mind.

Just remember that to "carry as the situation dictates"  includes the concept of not OC'ing if you anticipate trouble or negative reactions by doing so. I prefer to CC when possible because I don't like to telegraph the fact that I am armed. In comfortable and "safe" situations (on my property, at a close friend's house, or where encouraged) I will sometimes OC. but CC is usually the norm for me for daily carry.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

Wow, Raoul, you must have that topic search saved for frequent use. :stunned:

Search feature is pretty good here. Also there's some pretty good arguments in those threads...lol

• Like 3

This is one of the can of worms topics.  See also Glock vs. 1911 for further reference.

Carry as the situation requires.  Don't be Kwik but no need to be the uber cc guy either.

:whistle:

Guest Darth Maul
While the topic may be a dead horse to some of us that have some time involved with handguns and even more of a nuisance to those that feel their knowledge is beyond reproach, I like to remember that everyone crawls before they walk. Every day there's someone new coming onto the gun scene and hopefully the HCP scene as well. I would hate to think that some of their first interactions with fellow permit holders and gun enthusiasts would be smartass remarks basically telling them their question is beneath our level and they shouldn't bother asking or go find the answer somewhere else.

Fortunately in this state, we have the explicit choice of both. It's not a CCW here - it's a HCP. Do what is best for you in your situtation.

I open carry at work and around town. I live in a small town, so it's no big deal. If I'm going into a larger area or occasionally out of state, I will generally conceal.

I OC probably 95% of the time. You will be surprised at how few people really pay attention to what's going on around them.

• Like 1
I open carry 90-95% of the time. I do my best to dress nicely and be clean looking. I do not walk around with a scowl or "go ahead and mess with me look" on my face. I make eye contact with just about everyone. I open doors for people and say "excuse me" and "good evening".

In over three years of OC I have only great experiences with the people I have contact with. I have been able to give information about how to obtain a permit. I always be informative and not opinionated. I do notice the scared eyes from some sheep at times but that is out of my control. I have never had an encounter with police.

I feel that I have helped more people, by being a good example and having correct information when asked, then have hurt.

I am willing to sacrifice some personal, tactical advantage for the chance to be a good example of how guns in the public can be a positive thing.

More often than not my comments from others are along this line...."I am glad to see a good guy with a gun, I wish more people would do it".
  • Like 2

Adding to what 101 said:

I make it a point to be unfailingly polite and courteous to people in town. Never EVER walk, talk, or act like a fool. Don't raise your voice or do something negative. Hold doors open. Smile at people. Act almost like you're running for office, minus the ridiculous politics.

I went to IL for business about a month ago and on the way back, OCed through Kentucky. We stopped to eat and I got a curious look from another person in the restroom. Turns out he was from IL and had no idea that people elsewhere could carry at all, much less OC. He was pro-gun. We ended up having a great conversation about weapons and target shooting. Now that he knows that he doesn't have to have a permit to OC in KY, guess what he'll be doing next time he passes through? :)

Edited by Glock30
  • Like 2

This is one of the can of worms topics.  See also Glock vs. 1911 for further reference.

Carry as the situation requires.  Don't be Kwik but no need to be the uber cc guy either.

I carry my Glock concealed while carrying my 1911 open.  The 1911 is sooo pretty I want people to be distracted by it while stealthily deploying my uber-reliable Glock (in the event I'm not carrying a 1851 Navy in the open hand).

Seriously, though....I CC.  I'm shy that way.

• Like 1

We stopped to eat and I got a curious look from another person in the restroom. Turns out he was from IL and had no idea that people elsewhere could carry at all, much less OC. He was pro-gun.

You mean to tell me that he wasn't stopped or detained ("your papers, please..") at the Illinois border by the IL gestapo for even thinking about a firearm? I'm shocked. He must have felt like an East Berliner after a successful climb over the Wall.

Edited by tartanphantom

99.9% of the time, I conceal & carry.  On my own property, I would be comfortable to open carry.  I did have the practice to Open carry at gas pumps late in the evening, but decided to change that practice.

As Glock30  mentioned, opening doors, etc, being polite is very useful.  How often would a thug be kind to open the door for a little ol' lady and then rob the place? 

Very few non-carry people even notice us carrying a gun, but it only takes that one $$hole and politeness will go south.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
I CC the most but I carry OWB and it prints alot.

I do OC from time to time but not to show off or antagonize people. I am very freindly and dont mind small talk with strangers. Sure it is no ones business I have a gun but I do so in hope to encourage others that we are not bad people. I do so in hope to encourage people to ask questions, I may not be prepaired to answer every one but I want to answer what I can. I OC as an ambassador to people of the gun because shutting out fence sitters and uniformed antis does not help our cause.

Im from a liberal anti gun family in Connecticut. I converted my mother simply by OC'ing in her house and bringing along my AR-15. I told her I would respect her wishes to never do so again only if she heard my two cents first. It was a gutsy move and I wouldnt do so on anyone elses property but now she wants her own guns. But thats the beauty of being in a state that allows OC, I can do so where legal and I have no problem answering questions.

Flame away...
I just don't like anyone to know that I'm carrying. I feel like I'm telling all the BG's "Here I am...shoot me first!!" That's just my opinion on the subject. I do often carry open in my garage or in my home. I'm too broke down to fight and can't run and open is much more comfortable around the house. Edited by Randall53