need help on tricking out my AR

i have a S&W M&P15A. it has the standard handguards, A3 flattop upper, and fixed front sight post.

here is a pic

S5000714.jpg

what i need to know is can i convert my upper to look like a S&W M&P15T or similar

here is a pic of the M&P15T

811001_large.jpg

the most important thing that im unsure of is the quad rail forend and the folding front sight.

i need a flattop as i want to put a scope on it right now but will be swapping to an eotech later but i dont want to put on high rise scope rings to get it above the A2 fixed front sight post but i still want to maintain the BUIS for when i put the eotech on in case the batteries go out or something, i still have some sort of sights.

i need the quad rail as i want to add a VFG and tac. light to it later.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

To answer your question, yes you can easily make your AR look like the S&W MP15T. All you will need are:

• Low profile gas block
  • 11" quad rail forearm
  • Flip front iron sight

You can pretty much take your pick on the gas block. For the quad rail I would look at the Daniel Defense 11.0 "Omega Rail" as it's a super secure two-piece, free floating rail that requires no additional modification to the rifle and is extremely easy to install. I think S&W uses MI front sights but I may be mistaken. Again you can take your pick there. MI, Troy, ARMS, Yankee Hill, etc. Just whatever fits your budget and style. :cheers:

if im not mistaken S&W uses troy "battle sights" for the flip-up sights

i know a little about ARs but not enough to go building or modding one.

anybody know what quad rail S&W uses, i would really like to use the identical one that is used on the M&P15T as it has "Military & Police" marked on it

• Administrator
are the LaRue tactical quad rails any good?

They are some of the best. Installing them requires either the use of a DPMS Panther Claw delrin action block or modifications to the generic clamshell style upper receiver blocks used to clamp the upper in your vise. I have both, but the DPMS block is a better option.

Most specialty shops will install the rail for free onto your upper as long as you buy the rail from them and ship your upper to them.

The main thing to concern yourself with rail installation is it a free float or replacement handguard.

Replacements are easy. Free float on the other hand involve minor surgery, so to speak, and the cost to do it through a gunsmith/armorer has to be factored in.

I deal with Magpul, YHM, Daniel Defence, GG&G, Sabre Defence, and others. No LaRue though. They aren't taking new dealer accounts.

I have some UBR's on order just as a side note, but they are trying to catch up on production so they are a bit hard to get at the moment. Most distributors are out of stock.

Hero-Gear, can you guys get and install the LaRue rails? I've decided to get the LaRue tactical 13.2" quad rail.

I would be happy to help you install it, but you will get product faster by calling Mark yourself and ordering it direct.

• 3 weeks later...