ZT0561 and ZT0300

Just got these. My favorites so far. Fit, finish, and function is perfect on both knives. One thing I'll say about the 300... If you enjoy seeing that expanding wet spot on the front of some liberal's Dockers, just whip that sucker out in the Starbucks and lop off the top of your sugar pack. :). Evil black knife.

IMG_0851a_zps97226ebf.jpgIMG_0853a_zpsd4d1ce7d.jpg

• Like 3

I love the 300. I like it a lot better than the 350. I haven't tried to carry it around yet. I think your review of the 561 was spot on too. I'm tickled with both purchases.

Oh, there is no comparison between the 300 and 350.  I have five different 350s, but none of them get carried.  I do carry the 300.

Congrats Mike, you are building a very impressive collection!

Thanks. Now, jacking my own thread for a second... sharpening recurve blades with the Edge pro is as simple as using 1/2" stones on the finish passes. They sell them, as well as 1/2" tape blanks. That sold me on the system. The 300 probably isn't my last Ken Onion design, so I might as well tool up.

Is the brown on the 561? I like it.

I honestly didn't care for the 350 that much. Great knife but unnecessarily heavy and big. Not my idea of a "pocket" knife but well suited for bigger tasks. Would make a good folder to take camping.

I honestly didn't care for the 350 that much. Great knife but unnecessarily heavy and big. Not my idea of a "pocket" knife but well suited for bigger tasks. Would make a good folder to take camping.

I am a big guy with big hands, so he 350 is no issue. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were bigger.

I am a big guy with big hands, so he 350 is no issue. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were bigger.

I'm betting you would love the 300. Like Mav said, it's a beast. Here's the 300 and the 350. The 300 is about twice the money. It's a titanium frame lock like the 561.

IMG_0856a_zps0daf89da.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

They call it FDE. The 561 is bigger than the 350. About the same girth folded, but maybe 3/4" longer. It's a little lighter than the 350.

Are you buying these as collectors, or do you plan on using them? I may pick up one of the blemished 300's from KershawGuy.

Not sure yet. I'm just playing right now. The 300 looks like it would stand any heavy use you wanna throw at it. Gonna be a lot easier on your hand too. And... don't forget that Starbuck's feature :)

BTW... Look at the CRKT Ripple. Another Ken Onion design. They sell it at Walmart for $30-$40. I'm gonna get one. Thin profile, ball bearing pivot with flipper, razor sharp. Real fast deployment. Real light too. Gets great reviews from the knive guys, including NutNPansy

I traded a 301 off on a gun last year and have missed it ever since. Fantastic knife.

You seem to be getting the bug pretty bad Mike. Time to get a Hinderer.

From what I've seen, you don't just get a Hinderer. You gotta hunt for one. A 3 1/2" XM-18 is on the list. I may need to give my bug a little rest :)

Mike,

I agree with Fred, Get a Rick Hinderer XM series knife when you can, and when you are ready for the fastest non spring assisted folder get yourself a RJ Martin Q36

Edge Pro now sells that for recurve blades,(they did not when I bought mine) trust me try it out on cheaper knives before using it on more expensive ones, and I guarantee you that you will absolutely love the Edge Pro sharpener, I have the Apex one

as far as Ken Onion knives, trust me one of these days you will want a custom from him directly (ask me how I know) but they cost (at least mine did) more than a semi custom 1911, sadly i sold my Onion custom off last year for a very good profit. I must say that  in my opinion Ken Onion,RJ Martin and Rick Hinderer build the best american made custom folding knives out there

I've watched most of the videos on the Edge Pro site. It's THE one to get. It's like a lot of things. If it's flexible enough to do the best job, it's flexible enough to do a lot of damage :).

I doubt that I get into custom knives. I never got into custom 1911's either. My next rifle is gonna eat plenty of money. I expect to wind up with an off-the-rack Sebenza and an XM-18 at least.

• Like 1

Looks to me like your knifes aint big enough bruthah!!  You are gettin as bad as i am.

Been carrying my ZT 200 blem myself.  It keeps draggin my dungarees down.  Have to wear suspenders and a gunbelt to keep my britches up.  HEHEHE....

Keep up the good work!!

leroy