Bars told to stop serving infused alcoholic drinks after 2006 law

This just another example of a poorly written law. I think the law was intended to keep bars from premixing their "house margarita" a gallon at a time, or soaking cherries in vodka. The problem is the way they article is worded(not sure about the law) this would include pretty much any mixed drink wich means we can only have straight shots....gonna be alot of crazy faces made in the bars when people can't have juice with their liquer.

So they are against "bacon-infused martini, vodka flavored with fruit ...."

The ABC is against Bacon.

However, he is the key I guess

"Infused bottles often don't have labels with ingredients or dates of creation and expiration. He also said federal law prohibits infusion without a distillery permit and that it can only be done at a distillery plant, not a bar."

Sounds like this places are mixing it up in bottles and pouring on demand? 

Mixed drinks made on the bar should not be affected in my opinion.   I don't drink mixed drinks, just saying there isn't anything wrong in having them for those that do.  :rolleyes:

What is next, Burger King, won't be able to sell a Bacon Sundae?

I bet Bloomberg has his hand in this some place.  :D

Edited by vontar
It looks like they have decided against enforcing the law.

Also, based on the explanation I read, this law has nothing to do with regular mixed drinks that are mixed on demand. This law only prevents bars and restaurants from making their own recipes that may sit on the shelf for days or weeks.

It looks like they have decided against enforcing the law.

Also, based on the explanation I read, this law has nothing to do with regular mixed drinks that are mixed on demand. This law only prevents bars and restaurants from making their own recipes that may sit on the shelf for days or weeks.

That is the way I interpreted the law. I know it happens but I wouldn't want mix that had been out for hours, days, or made last month.

Got buds that work for them. Check out and see how many "audits" they ran back in early 2000's, just before they were sunsetted. Ever seen a bar in TN?

I have "buds" there also. I can't speak for the early 2000's but I know they have conducted a lot of arrest, some may have been criminal summons. I have seen the booking reports for Hamilton County with ABC as arresting agency. Like I said I have also seen agents testifying in criminal court.

Well maybe I'm reading what the article said all wrong, or maybe the article was more than half wrong as is often the case. But stuff like schnapps or triple sec or most all liquers are definitely infusions. Drambui is infused with honey and other "secret ingredients".

Awhile ago was shooting the breeze with the young fella at the liquor store, discussing all the bottled non-alcohol mixers-- That according to the labels I didn't see any mixes at the store which didn't contain high fructose syrup, and I've had to swear off that stuff because it messes up my digestion so bad. If I drink a coke then my digestion is fouled up the next day, and the only soda in the walmart soda aisle with ordinary sugar is Mountain Dew Throwback, as far as I could see. One person suggested checking the ingredients on Mexican sodas in the mexican food aisle, because supposedly mexicans won't put up with high fructose corn syrup.

So the conversation with the young fella at the liquor store drifted to the standard liquers-- Do they contain corn syrup as well nowadays, even the old brands? And how could one tell, because the ingredients are published on the non-alcoholic mix bottles, but most liquers don't publish the ingredients so how could one tell?

That article said that the intention of the law was to prevent "mystery ingredients" in alcoholic drinks, so it sounds "kinds sorta" the same issue?

Truth, not to :hijack: BUT if you buy the Mexican cokes which come in a taller glass bottle it has cane sugar and tastes how coke is supposed to! Also look at Jarritos, those are a brand a friend stocks up on and they are quite good. Here is a image of what the two look like.
jarritos-soda-by-perezeeb-flickr.jpg

mexican-coke.jpg

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1

Truth, not to :hijack: BUT if you buy the Mexican cokes which come in a taller glass bottle it has cane sugar and tastes how coke is supposed to!

Actually, if you look at the list of ingredients on the label of 'Mexican' Coca-Cola, don't be surprised to see both sugar and high fructose corn syrup listed.  They used to be just sugar but a couple of years back - about the time I had to switch to 'diet' soft drinks, anyhow - I noticed that the label changed.  Maybe not all of them but some, anyhow.

Awhile ago was shooting the breeze with the young fella at the liquor store, discussing all the bottled non-alcohol mixers-- That according to the labels I didn't see any mixes at the store which didn't contain high fructose syrup, and I've had to swear off that stuff because it messes up my digestion so bad. If I drink a coke then my digestion is fouled up the next day, and the only soda in the walmart soda aisle with ordinary sugar is Mountain Dew Throwback, as far as I could see. One person suggested checking the ingredients on Mexican sodas in the mexican food aisle, because supposedly mexicans won't put up with high fructose corn syrup.

Check also Sierra Mist Natural. The Mexican Cokes indeed have sugar, not HFCS. It's not because the Mexicans won't put up with it, it's because corn isn't subsidised to hell and back down there meaning they don't have to find a way to dump the stuff. As far as I know, the US is the only place in the world that goes in for HFCS in a big way. You can buy the Mexican stuff by the crate at Sam's. Also, during passover, there is a yellow-lidded sugar-only coke available. I don't think TN has a huge Jewish population though.

If you want a little more variety, you may also want to check into Soda Stream. Their stuff is either sugar or sugar/sucralose mix.

Edited by tnguy
Guest Lester Weevils

Check also Sierra Mist Natural. The Mexican Cokes indeed have sugar, not HFCS. It's not because the Mexicans won't put up with it, it's because corn isn't subsidised to hell and back down there meaning they don't have to find a way to dump the stuff. As far as I know, the US is the only place in the world that goes in for HFCS in a big way. You can buy the Mexican stuff by the crate at Sam's. Also, during passover, there is a yellow-lidded sugar-only coke available. I don't think TN has a huge Jewish population though.

If you want a little more variety, you may also want to check into Soda Stream. Their stuff is either sugar or sugar/sucralose mix.

Thanks for the good info, tnguy. I only drink one soda every few days, but even then, a steady diet of mountain dew throwback can get boring. :)