Bars told to stop serving infused alcoholic drinks after 2006 law

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22649504/bars-told-to-stop-serving-infused-alcoholic-drinks-after-2006-law

Response from businesses has been huge, and at least one restaurant owner says until something changes, he plans to ignore it.

"Craft drinks have become much more omnipresent throughout Tennessee," said Randy Rayburn, owner of Sunset Grill, Midtown Cafe and Cabana.

This guy plans to break the law. I seem to recall his name concerning something else.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22649504/bars-told-to-stop-serving-infused-alcoholic-drinks-after-2006-law

This guy plans to break the law. I seem to recall his name concerning something else.

It might be his lawsuit when carry in bars was legalized. I've been avoiding his restaurants since.

"Randy Rayburn, owner of three top-rated restaurants in Nashville, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday challenging the state law’s constitutionality, arguing it creates a public nuisance by threatening the safety of the public…"

Sourcehttp://www.reuters.com/article/2009/07/02/us-guns-bars-odd-idUSTRE5613JQ20090702

Guest Lester Weevils

Well, if I'm understanding the article and the article is correct, then this would ban peppermint schnapps, cherry vodka, triple sec, kahlua and at least half the bottles in a liquor store?

Is this just for bars, or do liquor stores also remove all that infused inventory?

Heck, aren't some cheap wines simply made by mixing juice and PGA?

And cheap blended whiskey, which often uses neutral spirits.

edit: looks like it only affects booze "infused or blended" with non-booze.

"The ABC's memo says infusing or blending alcoholic beverages with non-alcoholic products is prohibited by a law that dates back to 2006."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, if I'm understanding the article and the article is correct, then this would ban peppermint schnapps, cherry vodka, triple sec, kahlua and at least half the bottles in a liquor store?

Is this just for bars, or do liquor stores also remove all that infused inventory?

All ya need is bourbon anyway.

• Like 1

All ya need is bourbon anyway.

What about heathens that might like to mix it with cherry Coke ? (I am not among that crowd)

What kind of stupid-ass law is this anyway?  In other words who profits from it?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
I used to work in restaurants and we always had a container behind the bar with vodka marinating with cherries or other such fruit. I think this may be what they are referring to. I'd never order that crap at a bar now but back then it was novel. Also once you've taken the liquor from its original container it was impossible to prove what it was or where it came from. So it's also impossible to prove whether the proper taxes had been paid on it.
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Well maybe I'm reading what the article said all wrong, or maybe the article was more than half wrong as is often the case. But stuff like schnapps or triple sec or most all liquers are definitely infusions. Drambui is infused with honey and other "secret ingredients".

Awhile ago was shooting the breeze with the young fella at the liquor store, discussing all the bottled non-alcohol mixers-- That according to the labels I didn't see any mixes at the store which didn't contain high fructose syrup, and I've had to swear off that stuff because it messes up my digestion so bad. If I drink a coke then my digestion is fouled up the next day, and the only soda in the walmart soda aisle with ordinary sugar is Mountain Dew Throwback, as far as I could see. One person suggested checking the ingredients on Mexican sodas in the mexican food aisle, because supposedly mexicans won't put up with high fructose corn syrup.

So the conversation with the young fella at the liquor store drifted to the standard liquers-- Do they contain corn syrup as well nowadays, even the old brands? And how could one tell, because the ingredients are published on the non-alcoholic mix bottles, but most liquers don't publish the ingredients so how could one tell?

That article said that the intention of the law was to prevent "mystery ingredients" in alcoholic drinks, so it sounds "kinds sorta" the same issue?

Edited by Lester Weevils

this does not apply to spirits or wine for sale in your local package store.  What we sell is not the same thing as what is banned in the law.   

I used to work in restaurants and we always had a container behind the bar with vodka marinating with cherries or other such fruit. I think this may be what they are referring to.

this is exactly what the law refers to.  It does not apply to rum and cokes, or margarita's or sangria that comes from a bottle.

It is the same issue, I've seen all kinds of stuff used to make infusions. Bartenders would experiment at home and make their own bitters then bring it to the bar to use in cocktails. Usually it turned out well, but who knows what herbs and such were used.

Im on the fence with this one as it has become popular for bartenders to try this kind of stuff out. I just don't know if I trust every hipster that thinks he's the next "craft"cocktail local rock star. The other part of me thinks its mostly harmless so leave em alone.

No body has to worry, ABC has NEVER enforced a law, at least state wide.

The ABC has always focused more on educating on what is appropriate and legal. They very well could enforce with criminal charges and fines.
I know they have issued a lot of criminal summons and made some arrest because I have seen the arrest reports. I have also seen ABC agents in criminal court. Edited by Patton

Well maybe I'm reading what the article said all wrong, or maybe the article was more than half wrong as is often the case. But stuff like schnapps or triple sec or most all liquers are definitely infusions. Drambui is infused with honey and other "secret ingredients".

Awhile ago was shooting the breeze with the young fella at the liquor store, discussing all the bottled non-alcohol mixers-- That according to the labels I didn't see any mixes at the store which didn't contain high fructose syrup, and I've had to swear off that stuff because it messes up my digestion so bad. If I drink a coke then my digestion is fouled up the next day, and the only soda in the walmart soda aisle with ordinary sugar is Mountain Dew Throwback, as far as I could see. One person suggested checking the ingredients on Mexican sodas in the mexican food aisle, because supposedly mexicans won't put up with high fructose corn syrup.

So the conversation with the young fella at the liquor store drifted to the standard liquers-- Do they contain corn syrup as well nowadays, even the old brands? And how could one tell, because the ingredients are published on the non-alcoholic mix bottles, but most liquers don't publish the ingredients so how could one tell?

That article said that the intention of the law was to prevent "mystery ingredients" in alcoholic drinks, so it sounds "kinds sorta" the same issue?

there are no NON alcoholic mixers sold at liquor stores in TN.

The only liquor I would recommend avoiding altogether are those that proclaim on the label that their product is made with spirits and "Liquores".   There is no real definition of "liquore" and there is no way to know what it was distilled from.   Basically it means they are adding some nasty crap to your hootch. 

The mystery ingredients in the story are not anywhere in the league of what may be in your el-cheapo liquor bottle.    The law, I believe, refers to taking legally sold spirits and adding your own fruit, meat, or other flavors to that spirit to effect a change in flavor.   Adding coke to a glass of rum is not the same thing.  Making Sangria behind the bar is not the same as making a mixed drink or margarita.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks for the good info, Mike. Will have to look again at the mixers. Maybe they all contain some tiny token amount of alcohol, dunno.

So what "mystery ingredient" conconctions would you avoid? Dukuyper liquers? The various kinds of schnapps? Yagermeister?

Thanks for the good info, Mike. Will have to look again at the mixers. Maybe they all contain some tiny token amount of alcohol, dunno.

So what "mystery ingredient" conconctions would you avoid? Dukuyper liquers? The various kinds of schnapps? Yagermeister?

All product sold at liquor stores must contain a minimum of 1% alcohol.

No telling what is used to make alcohol for flavors such as the ones DK produces.  No worries there anyway.  What you find in the Liquore or Cordial aisle is not to be fretted over.  

Avoid Vodka and other spirits where on the label it claims it is made with Liquores.  A specific one off the top of my head is Kamchatka (sp?) Vodka.   Awful vile stuff, and it got worse when they added the word Liquores to the label.  There are others.

The ABC has always focused more on educating on what is appropriate and legal. They very well could enforce with criminal charges and fines.
I know they have issued a lot of criminal summons and made some arrest because I have seen the arrest reports. I have also seen ABC agents in criminal court.

Got buds that work for them. Check out and see how many "audits" they ran back in early 2000's, just before they were sunsetted.  Ever seen a bar in TN?