Xbox One

When Mcrosoft announced the restrictions on this console it lst a huge amount of appeal from a lot of folks. I have always preferred the Xbox to the play station and now on my fifth system. The DRM and fact that you need an Internet connection to play this console pissed off a lot of people but for me this did not matter, I have never bought a used game and my consoles are always online anyways

Having said this I was happy to learn that Microsoft removed their heads from their anus and removed these restrictions. I just ordered two Xbox One Day One editions for my home I am looking forward to these consoles as my family love the Kinect games and this next generation of consoles looks great for both Xbox and Playstation

I had an original XBOX and I had one of the first 360s in my area so I'm a huge XBOX fanboy. I know they're now backpeddling BUT the fact that MS pretty much initially told the public to get @#$%ed, well, I'll be going Sony this go around and several of my friends are doing the same just out of spite for MS's stupidity. I might go MS after some time but the first one I'll buy will be a Sony.

Guest whamonkey
Don't like the PS online component or the controller. Big fan of the 360 so I'm going with the One. The original idea offered more value over the long run with sharing games etc, but people are resistant to change and were voting with their preorders. I may get a PS4 down the road but I don't see how it compares, especially the Kinect 2 vs the PS Eye.

Very excited for next gen.....

I'll be holding off on either console until I see the reviews. I have an Xbox, PS3 and a wii. Wii is for the kids, PS3 is for Netflix/bluray and the Xbox red ringed after the first year.

Personally, I prefer gaming on my PC via steam...

• Like 2

yeah i've owned most systems since pong lol ... and honestly i have never liked microsoft's policies and even though i paid for a year of their online gaming services when i first got a 360 i didnt feel any need to renew the membership when most of what i played online i could play on either the PS3 of 360 and the PS3's free online service to me was just as good as microsoft's paid service.. and kinda like nobanstan i've turned to PC gaming for the most part recently, but IF i get a next gen console it will be a PS4 .. but that's just me,  and im usually wrong :)

yeah i've owned most systems since pong lol ... and honestly i have never liked microsoft's policies and even though i paid for a year of their online gaming services when i first got a 360 i didnt feel any need to renew the membership when most of what i played online i could play on either the PS3 of 360 and the PS3's free online service to me was just as good as microsoft's paid service.. and kinda like nobanstan i've turned to PC gaming for the most part recently, but IF i get a next gen console it will be a PS4 .. but that's just me,  and im usually wrong :)

Just so you know Sony will be charging for online play just like Microsoft on the PS4
Guest whamonkey
I guess the PS network is going to be paid as well so that part of the equation is out now. The exclusives to each system aren't that compelling so it boiled down to which one would be e best fit in my home entertainment package. I have been on XBOX live for years so I have a group of friends and contacts I play with, and I like the marketplace. Never really bonded with the PS3....not sure why because the PS2 was great.

I guess the PS network is going to be paid as well so that part of the equation is out now. The exclusives to each system aren't that compelling so it boiled down to which one would be e best fit in my home entertainment package. I have been on XBOX live for years so I have a group of friends and contacts I play with, and I like the marketplace. Never really bonded with the PS3....not sure why because the PS2 was great.

My PS3 was only used to play Blu Ray movies, in all honestly out f four years of owning one I think I maybe played maybe 3 hours of games on it, like you it never really grew on me unlike the PS2

Now that Microsoft is putting a Blu Ray in their console, it will be everything that I want for an entertainment package this is why I ordered two of the consoles, living room and bedroom

Microsoft really had a racket with the xbox 360. In the early days it was almost $600 for the console (if memory serves) then when it broke down you had to pay $100-150 to get it repaired until they extended the warranty to 3 years. Mine (according to Microsoft) didn't make the cutoff for the extended warranty, so I would have to pay to have it repaired. So my option was: 

1.) pay to fix the same console only to have it red ring again later

2.) buy the newer arcade model with 4gb of storage... which my 20gb hard drive wouldn't attach to and it took 6gb to install a game

3.) buy the slightly upgraded model which had 250gb of storage but cost an extra $100

They knew exactly what they were doing with this system. It's the same reason you have to pay for the yearly service, then they sell you odd amounts of MS points which don't match exactly to the prices of items on the shop.

Guest Keal G Seo

First off I had the XBO and XB360. But am going to be moving to the PS4 this generation. Here is why:

MS tried to screw everyone with the DRM/always online and that just says anti consumer to me. I try not to do business with companies that make that aspect blatantly clear as they did. As for family share and the things they have said had to be removed with the removal of DRM 24 hour check ins, again anti-consumer, why couldn't they leave this feature for those that are connected to the internet daily?
MS still isn't on par with PS as far as DRM is concerned. They say on the web site that announced the changes that you have to have the disc and that tells me that any downloaded games and DLC will be unavailable if you don't have an internet connection. Not to mention the way they are "fixing" the DRM is with a post release patch...that means they can unpatch it at any time they feel they have sold enough consoles.
What about the used game market? I know they back peddled on it but just another point. I never sold games to places like GameStop but I sure I buy the used ones to save a few bucks. Also buy or trade them regularly through facebook groups and Craigslist.
I also cannot use the Kinect sensor since I am in a wheelchair but they are still forcing me to purchase it by including it with the console, that makes me pay an extra 100 bucks as opposed to PS4.
I watched both XB1 and PS4 press conferences and have to say that with the divergence from a gaming platform that MS presented, the all in one entertainment system, I will be putting my bucks towards the gaming platform. I am a hardcore gamer, that is why I want a console. One investment in a system for every 8 years of gaming (as opposed to 2-3 for a gaming PC at the same price point). Netflix, HBOGo and the like can all take a back seat. I have a computer and an HDMI cord, I can get all of that on my PC and yes I still have a remote in a wireless keyboard with touchpad.
Lastly on the bad side for XB1 is that it isn't as powerful as the PS4 unless it is connected to the internet so that the "cloud" can do some of the processing. This will also mean that unless the clouds servers are also hosting the games online play is going to be laggy at best.

Bottom line, I am so getting the PS4. There aren't any Xbox exclusive games that would make me even consider purchasing one. My primary games are (online) COD and BF, (offline) Assassin's Creed. Not to mention we just got a 3D TV and my understanding is that PS has more supported 3D games, hope that trend continues.

On a side note, I would like to hear from Steam on where they are with the SteamBox. I have high hopes for that platform in that it will be a console with the prices associated with Steam. The only downside being no offline play, already common with Steam.

Just so you know Sony will be charging for online play just like Microsoft on the PS4

Sony may be requiring PS+ membership for online play, but it's $50 vice $60 per yer for the Xbox gold.  And this is going to be for multiplayer only, not for streaming services like Netflix.  The "we'll allow the developer to decide" part of whether or not the free to play multiplayer games are behind the paywall is a little worrysome, but I guess we'll see how that works out.  But the PS+ will allow you access to hundreds of free games via the instant game archive, and they've been giving away premium games left and right.  Most importantly, Yoshida put out that the $$$ from PS+ will go directly into improving the PS network, so if it improves the quality of my online experience I'm ok with it.  I've paid Microsoft for years to play online multiplayer and getting jack squat in return, Sony requiring it for the PS4 isn't going to sway my decision on abandoning ship.

I don't buy into the whole first day thing. I did for the Dreamcast and PS2, wound up losing my ass on the Dreamcast as a year later it didn't have any games or support.

So now, I wait a minimum of a year to see who is winning the platform wars, plus the games are cheaper when I do buy in.

I went with the XBOX360 last time, don't know who I will go with this time.

• Like 2
That's a good strategy, give it a year and both companies will come out with a slim or special edition that somebody will just have to have. Then you can pick up a slightly used one. I don't see Sony or Microsoft fading away from either of these consoles support wise though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It isn't the major support of the maker, it is the support of the games, the community and so forth.

IMO until last week there weren't any games for the PS3 that I 'had to have.' The last year of this generation and the PS3 finally releases a game that is a must play and isn't a cross platform game.

However, until The Last of Us, there wasn't anything that made me sit up and say "Damn! I need to buy a PS3!" 

The games, the community and the subscription service of the XBOX360 was satisfactory for me the entire time I have owned one.

However the largest benefit I can think of staying a year behind is the cost of games. Rather than paying $60 a game, I can pick up many titles once they become 'hits' for $20, not to mention that many games drop $10-$15 after the first month or two. Add in used games and I venture to guess that I am paying 60% or less than someone who buys brand new right now day of release games.

Timely thread, thanks.

I'm not a big gamer (I play COD on PC once in a while), but was thinking about getting back into the console world.

I've had a PS1 and a 1st Gen XBox...preferred the XBox then and was leaning towards it for this Christmas.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Edited by TN-popo

That's a good strategy, give it a year and both companies will come out with a slim or special edition that somebody will just have to have. Then you can pick up a slightly used one. I don't see Sony or Microsoft fading away from either of these consoles support wise though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

LOL, that took Sony 3 years and MS 6 years BUT I get what you're saying like with that one run of PS3's that were the ONLY backwards compatible models back to PS1, only time will tell I guess.

Guest whamonkey
Interesting that Steam was mentioned as they do exactly what MS was looking to do with DRM, etc. As far as the Kinect 2, the improved voice commands and speaker array will increase accessibility and require less use of a remote for commands (it can be used sitting down).....again, I don't see that as a negative thing but a plus. There will be 300k servers for Live...I'm not sure Sony will ever make up the ground lost to Microsoft on Live. Party Chat, messaging, Skype, and the marketplace in general are all excellent. FWIW, I have never paid $59.99 for Xbox Live Gold, in ten years. There is always someone somewhere (Best Buy, Amazon, and even MS themselves) selling codes for 12 months, and sometimes 13 for $34.99.....every year.

I respect someone's decision to go with Sony, it's personal preference of games and/or controllers. Processing power isn't always the end all factor in which system is "better", just refer back to the Dreamcast owner, or cast your gaze way back to the 3DO or the Atari Jaguar)

Both next generation consoles are being supported by their respective companies and will be very satisfying for consumers. It's a great time to be a gamer and/or a gadget freak. I suspect if you game on the PS3 now you will enjoy your PS4...as for me I have too much invested in the Xbox 360 to jump ship to the PS4....Xbox One here.
Guest whamonkey
I love Bungie studios and "Destiny" looks fantastic.(PS4 exclusive) HOWEVER Halo is a Microsoft property now and I will always own a console that has that title.

Both system have potential but the arguments about which is better and the reasons being talked about really don't equate to much in my view.
Guest Keal G Seo

Interesting that Steam was mentioned as they do exactly what MS was looking to do with DRM, etc. As far as the Kinect 2, the improved voice commands and speaker array will increase accessibility and require less use of a remote for commands (it can be used sitting down).....again, I don't see that as a negative thing but a plus. There will be 300k servers for Live...I'm not sure Sony will ever make up the ground lost to Microsoft on Live. Party Chat, messaging, Skype, and the marketplace in general are all excellent. FWIW, I have never paid $59.99 for Xbox Live Gold, in ten years. There is always someone somewhere (Best Buy, Amazon, and even MS themselves) selling codes for 12 months, and sometimes 13 for $34.99.....every year.

I respect someone's decision to go with Sony, it's personal preference of games and/or controllers. Processing power isn't always the end all factor in which system is "better", just refer back to the Dreamcast owner, or cast your gaze way back to the 3DO or the Atari Jaguar)

Both next generation consoles are being supported by their respective companies and will be very satisfying for consumers. It's a great time to be a gamer and/or a gadget freak. I suspect if you game on the PS3 now you will enjoy your PS4...as for me I have too much invested in the Xbox 360 to jump ship to the PS4....Xbox One here.

Yes, Steam does do the what XB was going to do and that sucks. But with them the plus is that it will always be backwards compatible as long as windows is around. The Kinect may offer some hand/voice guesters for menu controls, what is was designed for is controllerless gameplay...wheelchair users cant do that. As it is right now I can't even set up a profile to use Kinect at all because you have to be standing. Now I am not into the motion gameplay but have used both Wii and PSMove, both of which are usable from a wheelchair. As for the price of XBL vs PSN, yes they can both be found on sale at times. I like you had never paid full price, I bought mine at Costco because they had them year round for 35.

As you stated it is just personal choice but I do have to ask what you mean by having too much invested in 360? If you mean in games check this out: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-not-backwards-compatible

No backwards compatibility at all, disk or digital.

If you mean gamerscore, I am sitting at over 40k and since they are useless I haven't even considered them. Keal%20G%20Seo.jpg

Otherwise gotta let me know what I will be missing. :)

Guest whamonkey
When I say invested I mean I have a good bunch of friends on Live and we're all getting the One for the most part...plus I hate change. All my info will go right into the new console.

I hate the Sony controller. Hate it.

Sony has botched a few firmware updates, but all I have seen have been reissued and fixed.

Out of 3 360's I owned I encountered RROD 5x. Even though I didn't purchase until late in the release cycle(after the new chipset was supposed to have eliminated "the problem") 3 of 5 were as I sat down to game with guests over and really ruined the experience. Hard to have a sweet head to head forza match up on a pair of consoles when one RRODs pregame, also hard to have a 3 screen sim setup for Forza when one of the 3 consoles required was seemingly always out for repair. . . My PS3s(4) have ALL been nearly flawless, 3 of four are still in my possession and working fine.(one was stolen) 

That said, I currently doubt I'll buy either of the next gen consoles. I've yet to see anything on either that I just have to have over what I already have. It looks like I'll end up with an ouya, vintage GBA with back light, and a sim setup for the new rfactor platform.

Guest Keal G Seo

When I say invested I mean I have a good bunch of friends on Live and we're all getting the One for the most part...plus I hate change. All my info will go right into the new console.

I hate the Sony controller. Hate it.

Ah yeah that has to suck. Most of my family, purchasing age, has decided on Sony. Also a local gameshop here had a facebook poll on which system people would be going with, it was overwhelmingly in favor of Sony with 19-4 vote. As for the controller, you can get third party controllers...PS3 currently has one that is almost exactly the same as a 360 controller. But in the end if your friends are sticking with it I guess it is either follow the crowd or have to make a bunch of new friends. As I don't care for new people I understand :)

Seems that Sony has its own set of problems also , I think I'm sticking with the Xbox watch the vid on the link http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/27/sony-releases-fix-for-bricked-playstation-3-consoles

Firmware (patches) are easy fixes you can do at home, unlike RRoDs...lol. But as for the video, HE** YEAH! Ditching the camera for a cheaper console, I'll take that all day long. I don't care for motion control games in the first place and they are difficult from a wheelchair. So Sony isn't screwing me by making me purchase something I will never use, how is that a bad thing again?

Check out the MS statement on the matter from their own site, it states that "After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again." (my emphasis) That means that you have to have the disc. DLC and full game downloads will still be subject to DRM/24 hour check ins. Not seeing the upside here beyond they aren't screwing consumers as hard as they were going to.