Murfreesboro DUI Checkpoint Video Making its Way Across the Web

Guest Bonedaddy

Some may think that the kid was bein' an asshat but without people like him with the balls to do what he did, as a small part in our "failing" attempts to maintain our liberties and rights, we would all be standin' in the bangstick line way sooner than we are. Actions like his are becoming increasingly more "necessary" but there's a many a shriveled nad out there, if ya get my drift.

Can someone please tell me what right an LEO has to turn off your camera inside your vehicle?

I've wanted a couple GoPro cams in my car in case of a traffic accident, any criminal trying something, traffic stops, etc., to keep things honest and accurate should anything happen. It would suck if they can just reach in and legally shut it off against your wishes.  

Some may think that the kid was bein' an asshat but without people like him with the balls to do what he did, as a small part in our "failing" attempts to maintain our liberties and rights, we would all be standin' in the bangstick line way sooner than we are. Actions like his are becoming increasingly more "necessary" but there's a many a shriveled nad out there, if ya get my drift.

Take a look at the dashcam video, all the way to the end, and keep a close eye on his balls.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22820604/thp-releases-full-video-of-controversial-rutherford-co-checkpoint

Dash cam video. It shows the whole thing, instead if the edited version. The deputy was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Of course the deputy was cleared of any wrongdoing. There have been multiple cases of police SWAT teams kicking in the wrong door and killing unarmed innocent people inside and they are cleared of any wrongdoing. The officer was a jerk and had no justification for it.
  • Like 2

Of course the deputy was cleared of any wrongdoing. There have been multiple cases of police SWAT teams kicking in the wrong door and killing unarmed innocent people inside and they are cleared of any wrongdoing. The officer was a jerk and had no justification for it.

Did you watch the video?

• Like 1

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22820604/thp-releases-full-video-of-controversial-rutherford-co-checkpoint

Dash cam video. It shows the whole thing, instead if the edited version. The deputy was cleared of any wrongdoing. 

The guy/girl that did it... I would've written him a ticket too and took him to the dang barber shop immediately.

ScreenShot2013-07-12at93408AM_zpsdc92356

<edit> he said in the dash cam video that he was going to school for some kind of media stuff, so my assumptions were correct initially... Just trying to stir up some crap to get some recognition, I hope it backfires on him

Edited by Sam1

Majoring in digital media. He has the editing down pat. Spins a story like a pro. The dash cam video reveals a couple of things...

• As soon as our civil rights activist friend participated in the conversation, things got civil
  • The dope dog really did hit on the door handle
  • They found a couple of pot seeds in the car
  • Crusty as he was, the deputy explained in detail why he pulled the twerp over to the side. It was right at the end of the video.
  • Like 1

Did you watch the video?

I have had time to watch about 10 minutes of it and will be watching the remainder as soon as I have time to do so. I'll be writing a follow-up to the above blog post after I watch it, but so far I see no justification for talking to the kid like he did. I was a cop for 10 years and I know what type of behavior is appropriate in situations like that. This cop didn't meet that standard. I also don't buy for a second that they found marijuana seeds in the car. They are trying to rhetorically justify a search from a non-existent K9 hit. Unless the remaining 20 minutes of the video reveal something unexpected - and I am very open to that possibility - I will stand by my original analysis.

I plan to have my response posted tomorrow (I'm stuck in Georgia visiting my in-laws today). Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1

I have had time to watch about 10 minutes of it and will be watching the remainder as soon as I have time to do so. I'll be writing a follow-up to the above blog post after I watch it, but so far I see no justification for talking to the kid like he did. I was a cop for 10 years and I know what type of behavior is appropriate in situations like that. This cop didn't meet that standard. I also don't buy for a second that they found marijuana seeds in the car. They are trying to rhetorically justify a search from a non-existent K9 hit. Unless the remaining 20 minutes of the video reveal something unexpected - and I am very open to that possibility - I will stand by my original analysis.

I plan to have my response posted tomorrow (I'm stuck in Georgia visiting my in-laws today).

I agree that the cop was dickish. Doesn't change the fact that the guy was looking for a response, and got it. The cop quit being a dick once the interaction got squared away.

Guest Lester Weevils

The guy/girl that did it... I would've written him a ticket too and took him to the dang barber shop immediately.

Speaking of dang hippies who need a haircut....

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

I agree that the cop was dickish. Doesn't change the fact that the guy was looking for a response, and got it. The cop quit being a dick once the interaction got squared away.

But no citizen should be subjected to unprofessional behavior, especially since the kid wasn't being disrespectful. As I said in my blog post, this kid was guilty of nothing except contempt of cop. I get the impression that you think everyone should just shut up, allow ourselves to be subjected to random police intrusion, and smile while our rights are violated. Civil disobedience has been an effective tool for centuries and I applaud this kid for stepping up and trying to do the right thing. You are blaming the kid because the cop was a jerk, when that's the real problem here. There is a deputy driving the roads of Rutherford County who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to treat people like crap when he feels like his authority is in question, and a sheriff who seems to find that behavior acceptable as well. Never mind the fact that they also think it's acceptable to randomly stop American citizens, demand their papers, and subject them to a search without any suspicion of wrongdoing. I was a cop. I investigated countless DUI cases. This sort of activity is not necessary and has little, if anything, to do with getting drunk drivers off the road. It's PR and a chance to snoop for other crimes, especially illegal drugs.
  • Like 2

Once a person puts on the uniform of a public servant, be it police, soldier, or what have you, that person must represent society. I was often reminded of that overseas when I wanted to act a certain way but instead held back to represent the flag on my shoulder with honor. 

It is even more important with folks that can easily violate your person and ruin your life through what to them is a simple arrest. Not only that but the officer in the video jumped immediately to being hurt because a citizen (not a prisoner, not a suspect other than going through a DUI checkpoint) questioned his non-life threatening directions. Now that is not honorable behavior, nor is it acceptable from a public servant. Furthermore in the longer dashcam you can hear more of the conversation that seems to me at least to prove the point that he was trying to intimidate a citizen. 

I am sorry, I want to go back to the days of my early adult life when I was not concerned about approaching an officer and asking for directions. Now officers to often are being reported in the news as using things like that to get a arrest, or for having a bad attitude that results in the same - looking for an arrest. 

Folks who think the kid got what he deserved should think well what if you were in that situation. The kid did not raise his voice, curse the officer, or anything of the kind. He simply questioned what he had to do. Officers do not know the law, they know how to get through the law to articulate things like reasonable suspicion and probable cause so that they can do their jobs. Lawyers do not know all of the law - they know a small piece of what they work in criminal law. Otherwise we would not need lawyers that specialize in self defense or in tax code cases. 

This is why we are supposed to screen and monitor police to make sure we hire ethical folks who want to serve the public and not bullies. Law enforcement officers really do not have the luxury of having a bad day and taking that to work with them. Caesar's wife must be above reproach. Dignity and respect. 

Edited by Paladin132
  • Like 3
Guest Keal G Seo

I am sorry, I want to go back to the days of my early adult life when I was not concerned about approaching an officer and asking for directions.

IDK the majority of officers are good guys. Yeah their are bad ones and the good ones don't ever seem to cross that blue line to protect citizens, but most are still good guys when alone. I remember the last time I asked for directions was actually quite fun. I was in Alexandria Louisiana and was coming out of a dance club. We had met someone at the mall earlier that said we could come crash at their place if we went to church with them the next day. We had the address but no clue where it was. The officer even seemed to be sitting at the first red light out of the club waiting for DUIs. Anyway, I approached his car and knocked on the window, kinda made him jump not expecting it, but he was cool and said that yes he knew where the address was and to follow him. I smiled and said thanks. We probably hit 120+ mph with his lights on on the highway and averaged 60-80 on the road leading to the apartments. I think he heard my engine and wanted to see if he could lose me. :) There are still cool cops out there, but ones like this (in the video) need to be exposed and fired...or at least demoted to desk work.

That cop was pretty crusty. I figure they'll send him to charm school so citizens quit getting butt hurt by his actions. When it comes down to it, I don't think he violated any rights. He certainly didn't manhandle anybody. He's not one of the juiced up Rambo types that scare me. He's old school crusty. I've seen them my whole life. When it comes to wishing for the good old days, I want to go back to the days when men didn't wear panties :)

• Like 1

Umm, that dash cam video starts when the kid pulls over to the side, NOT during the original interaction, if I'm not mistaken.

So the SO left out the "good parts."

The car was outside the view of the camera during the original stop. The selective editing was all done by Youtube boy. He left out the long conversation about why he was pulled out of line.

• Like 1

The car was outside the view of the camera during the original stop. The selective editing was all done by Youtube boy. He left out the long conversation about why he was pulled out of line.

Yes, but the trooper was wearing his mic at that time, right? Why wasn't that included?

Ok. 

I see how the kid cut the video up, but the SO still left off the start of the "incident," where the Officer was behaving the worst.

Some of that happened out on the traffic line. I'll have to look at Dweezel's tape again to overlay the timelines.

• Like 1

Yes, but the trooper was wearing his mic at that time, right? Why wasn't that included?

Grumpy cop isn't a trooper. He's SO. I think the dash cam was a trooper car. So even if they're carrying wireless mics, he was probably somewhere else at first. Gotta watch the tape again.

• Like 1