Man Victim of Home Break-in in Spring Hill, 2 Gun Safes Stolen

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd drop it in-  saw it on the news last night.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22935435/high-powered-rifles-stolen-feared-in-wrong-hands

Seems as though a local guy had 2 safes stolen from his home, including a couple AR's as well as

some handguns, among other things.

Mostly just posting this so anyone who happens across a private sale or sees a similar firearm in a pawn shop, Gunbroker, etc suddenly pop up is aware.

My imagination suggests that someone knew this guy's schedule, what he might have, how long they'd have inside, and would have had to have brought along an appropriate vehicle and or tools to pull this off-  assuming these safes were on the heavy side, of course.

From the article at the link:

Handguns and high powered rifles are missing from a mid-state home, and investigators fear they're now in the wrong hands.

Well, uh, being that they are in the hands of someone other than the rightful owner or a person who has permission from the rightful owner to possess them then, yes, I'd say they are in the 'wrong hands'.

Almost makes one wonder if keeping many/all of their privately owned firearms in one safe/lockbox/etc. might just be a way of creating 'one stop shopping' for criminals.

• Like 1

Cache of weapons!

high powered rifles!

AR-15!

semi-automatics!

investigators fear they're now in the wrong hands!

Alarming!  they could be in the hands of a convicted felon or anywhere!

Good grief.  I hate that this happened to someone but this report just sickens me. 

• Like 2
Something sounds fishy I mean how many of you guys moved a safe? Well a real safe maybe he had some of those Walmart special type safes the ones made of sheet metal. If by chance he had real safes then it take at least 3 good size men and a dolly and a truck. Now with all that it had to attract attention. Sounds more like an insurance payout job over a real theft.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Hmm. Some fodder for thought?

Guess where I have my photo's and serial numbers stored for safe keeping and fire protection?

But mine is probably 1,200 lbs. loaded and door frames would have to come off to get it out. I'm guessing it's probably one of those smaller lite safes?

Something sounds fishy I mean how many of you guys moved a safe? Well a real safe maybe he had some of those Walmart special type safes the ones made of sheet metal. If by chance he had real safes then it take at least 3 good size men and a dolly and a truck. Now with all that it had to attract attention. Sounds more like an insurance payout job over a real theft.

The news said it was a cache of 13 guns, which makes me think smaller cheaper safes that I might refer to as lock boxes.

Hmm. Some fodder for thought?

Guess where I have my photo's and serial numbers stored for safe keeping and fire protection?

But mine is probably 1,200 lbs. loaded and door frames would have to come off to get it out. I'm guessing it's probably one of those smaller lite safes?

1280 lbs according to my papers, bolted down, And no idea how heavy loaded. Must be at least 50 lbs heavier.

I don't understand the comment about may be difficult to track down as owner may not have the serial numbers... I have serial numbers recorded and even receipts for all my more expensive stuff besides just firearm related. It seems like common sense to me just in case, but I guess not everyone keeps records.
Guest TankerHC

I dont know if my safe is considered real, it weighs 880 pounds empty. But one man can do it alone. Last month I loaded my guns in my safe, locked it in the truck and brought it up here, didnt want to try moving it alone because two of us had a hell of a time getting it on the truck. My cousin was coming down from Pa. and told me to wait "he would get it" off the truck, through the house. I had already hired two guys out of Rossville to come get it. Cousin gets down, the two guys, two young big guys who just went into the moving business, struggled to just bring it 15 feet down a ramp with an appliance dolly, cousin told them to leave it,. They left (I paid them) he grabbed the safe and gets it up the steps, across the house and in the place where I wanted it. With ZERO effort.

He has been in the appliance business since he was 10 years old working in his fathers businesses (Now owns his own businesses). Told me nothing to it, its all about the balance. Been doing it for years. He did it with the guns in the safe.

NOTE: Dont know if my safe is considered real, not being sarcastic, been reading some posts on here about 2000 pound safes. I stopped reading them, makes my safe feel inferior.

Edited by TankerHC