Stop & Frisk struck down.

• Moderators
Great news out of New York. Judge rules that the NYPD's "Stop & Frisk" policy is unconstitutional. Nice to see this blatant violation of the 4th Amendment brought to an end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/nyregion/stop-and-frisk-practice-violated-rights-judge-rules.html Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4
  • Moderators

You'll notice it's for "minorities," because it violates their rights, not everyone's.

Then I guess we should say thank you to the minorities for getting everyone this win. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4

According to the article,

The Supreme Court had long ago ruled that stop-and-frisks were constitutionally permissible under certain conditions, and Judge Scheindlin stressed that she was “not ordering an end to the practice.” But she said that changes were needed to ensure that the street stops were carried out in a manner that “protects the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, while still providing much needed police protection.”

While the practice is not ending, it is a positive step in the right direction.  I am curious as to what kind of reforms will be put in place.

• Moderators

While the practice is not ending, it is a positive step in the right direction. I am curious as to what kind of reforms will be put in place.

While the practice may not be officially or completely ended, any sort of actual oversight or review process will have substantially the same end result. Much like the PD in California that saw an over 80% reduction in use of force when officers had to wear cameras on body, people tend to be better mannered when being watched. The carte blanche given to the officers to stop & frisk as they saw fit is what led to the abuses.

While the practice is not ending, it is a positive step in the right direction.  I am curious as to what kind of reforms will be put in place.

Probably the 'reforms' will take a page from the TSA playbook and will simply mean frequently stopping and frisking non-minority 95 year old great grandmothers on walkers and non-minority three year olds in strollers so that when they stop the people most likely committing the crimes (probable gang-bangers and the like) they will be able to point to the granny stops as evidence that they aren't engaging in 'profiling'.  The practice, however blatantly it violates the Constitution, will continue unabated.  After all, as the anti-privacy rights mantra often says, "If you aren't doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide then why would you object?"  (Yes, I think that idea is total BS.)

Sorry, I am not naive optimistic enough to believe that this will stop the practice.  They will simply broaden the scope of the type of citizen they harass in order to counter claims of discrimination.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I don't understand how folks don't consider what's going on in the Northeast, especially NYC, anything other than totalitarian government manifesting itself. Sad thing is that up there, NYC leads and others follow suit lock-in-step. Glad the Federal judge nipped this in the bud for the time being. Hopefully there will be some kind of damage award against the city.  

Guest nra37922

Problem is that the folks in NYC are not allowed to defend themselves and the criminals are now going to be able to move about a little more freely. 

Guest ThePunisher
Problem in NYC is that the sheeple keep voting for the Libtard gun grabbers. Voting has consequences. Edited by ThePunisher

Sorry, I am not naive optimistic enough to believe that this will stop the practice.  They will simply broaden the scope of the type of citizen they harass in order to counter claims of discrimination.

If I had money to bet I would would bet on that.

Guest nra37922

You advocate the police being able to stop and frisk YOU at their whim?

No, i am in favor of the law abiding citizen being able to take out the trash if threatened.  

Edited by nra37922