Another holster thread...finish wear

So i'm looking for a new holster. Right now I'm got a kydex OWB for my Glock, but I need an IWB for when my permit gets here. I'll probably want new holsters for several guns. I'm wondering whether leather or kydex will cause more wear on the finish on my guns, assuming the same amount of drawing and holstering. If it has different effects on different finishes, does anyone know? I know the tennifer on my glock is fine, but what about the black finish over it? What about blued guns, stainless?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i'm looking for a new holster. Right now I'm got a kydex OWB for my Glock, but I need an IWB for when my permit gets here. I'll probably want new holsters for several guns. I'm wondering whether leather or kydex will cause more wear on the finish on my guns, assuming the same amount of drawing and holstering. If it has different effects on different finishes, does anyone know? I know the tennifer on my glock is fine, but what about the black finish over it? What about blued guns, stainless?

In my persoanl experiences, I've always noticed Kydex to be a little more wearing on the finishes. This doesn't mean I haven't noticed wear from using a leather holster, but Kydex has been noticeably worse.

With that being said, more often that not, I prefer the comfort of many Kydex holsters over leather. This is especially true in the warmer months.

Generally with kydex, you get less holster wear due to less surface contact than leather. Leather tends to "touch" the gun more and hold moisture. With leather it also depends on the lining, as to how much wear and how quickly. IMO it is really indifferent as every gun that is carried much will show holster wear sooner or later.

hmm, two good answers from respectable posters going opposite ways...crap. I know all carry guns will show wear, I just want to avoid it as long as possible since I change, buy, sell, and trade guns fairly often. Is there a difference when considering the finish of the gun?

Guest gsbell

My carry gun and IDPA gun are both Glocks in Kydex holsters both have the black finish wearing off at the muzzle. To be fair the carry Glock was also shot in IDPA for several seasons.

hmm, two good answers from respectable posters going opposite ways...crap. I know all carry guns will show wear, I just want to avoid it as long as possible since I change, buy, sell, and trade guns fairly often. Is there a difference when considering the finish of the gun?

Honestly, I wouldn't be that concerned about the wear factor. I'd be more concerned about the comfort factor. You're going to get wear either way, so you might as well be comfortable while doing it.

Interesting comments. I'll agree that I wouldn't be too concerned about holster wear. Carry guns are tools, not display pieces.

But I find leather to be a lot more comfortable than Kydex. That's why all of my holsters are now leather except for jungle use.

We will all agree that Glock pistols have the toughest finish of any production gun available, right?

The only Glock I have ever seen with major finish wear was carried in a kydex holster.

Draw your own conclusions.

• Administrator

Glocks look better with some nicks, scrapes, dings and wear on them. Stop worrying and carry whatever feels best.

PS: I know a guy from another forum that bought a Dodge Ram pickup several years ago and to this date has never hauled anything in the bed of it. The paint in the bed is as shiny as the paint anywhere else on the truck. He gets so much crap from everyone else about it that I think it has become a matter of spite to ensure that the bed never sees cargo now. Now you tell me... WHAT. THE. HELL. Why would you buy a truck, a tool for all practical sakes and purposes, and then be afraid to haul something in it for fear of scratching the bed?

The same reason you'd buy a Glock and then worry that your holster might scuff the finish. :rock:

We will all agree that Glock pistols have the toughest finish of any production gun available, right?

The only Glock I have ever seen with major finish wear was carried in a kydex holster.

Draw your own conclusions.

It's the same finish as M&P, Walther's, XD's,...... and I'm sure others. Yes it is the best production finish out there.

The M&P and XD finish may be similar but it's not as durable as the Glock finish. I'm not sure why, but it's just the way it is. I've owned all three. Have two of them right now. The Glock finish wins hands down.

You have definitely been in the :rock:! :P

Glocks look better with some nicks, scrapes, dings and wear on them. Stop worrying and carry whatever feels best.

PS: I know a guy from another forum that bought a Dodge Ram pickup several years ago and to this date has never hauled anything in the bed of it. The paint in the bed is as shiny as the paint anywhere else on the truck. He gets so much crap from everyone else about it that I think it has become a matter of spite to ensure that the bed never sees cargo now. Now you tell me... WHAT. THE. HELL. Why would you buy a truck, a tool for all practical sakes and purposes, and then be afraid to haul something in it for fear of scratching the bed?

The same reason you'd buy a Glock and then worry that your holster might scuff the finish. :)

Well that puts it in perspective. :)

And I'm not so worried about the Glock. I'm keeping that one; I like it a LOT. And I just carry around the house for now, likely for the next few months from what I hear about the state and carry permit delays. I guess I'm more iffy about carrying guns that I'm not sure I want to keep, damaging them and losing a lot on resale if I don't keep them. I'm not likely to see that significant damage with such little exposure to a holster, if I'm understanding this.

I guess I'm more iffy about carrying guns that I'm not sure I want to keep, damaging them and losing a lot on resale if I don't keep them.

Want to know a secret?

An honest dealer will give you the same money for your Glock no matter if it's "like new in case" or has been worn every day since new.

At the end of the day it's still a Glock. Worth no more or no less, just like a hammer or can opener. Same with most other defensive or tactical firearms.

Want to know a secret?

An honest dealer will give you the same money for your Glock no matter if it's "like new in case" or has been worn every day since new.

At the end of the day it's still a Glock. Worth no more or no less, just like a hammer or can opener. Same with most other defensive or tactical firearms.

Good to know for future reference. I'm keeping this one for sure, but I may do some trading around with others. Now I can tell a dealer who wants to knock off a few bucks for the finish over the Tennifer to shove it.:)

Good to know for future reference. I'm keeping this one for sure, but I may do some trading around with others. Now I can tell a dealer who wants to knock off a few bucks for the finish over the Tennifer to shove it.:)

It's just standard bluing anyway. The real process puts the melonite into the pores of the metal which keeps the dreaded corrosion away.

Kydex holsters generally wear in distinct patterns or locations on the firearm, whereas Leather will rub off the finish more-or-less uniformly... I prefer kydex holsters for polymer-framed pistols (that way the main retention points are plastic-on-plastic), and I'm a big fan of stainless all-metal guns in leather holsters... don't have to worry as much about rubbing or moisture held against the surface by the leather.

It's just standard bluing anyway. The real process puts the melonite into the pores of the metal which keeps the dreaded corrosion away.

Yeah, I know. I'm not at all stressed about the Tennifer, or even the bluing over it on the Glock, since I don't plan on selling it anyway. And I've seen some killer torture tests on the Glocks and nothing corroded the slide or barrel. I'm more concerned about my other guns like I said.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

I did pick up a temporary fake suede/something synthetic Unkle Mike's IWB for like twelve bucks while I was looking at 1911s today. It's cheap and not longterm, but I know it'll work until I figure out what I should go for.

What about the leather holsters with kydex for the gun? Like CompTac makes with leather against the body and kydex for the gun to stay in?

I ain't skeered. You should see the truck bed in my ram. Rhinoliner owes me some warranty work.:D

• Administrator

What about the leather holsters with kydex for the gun? Like CompTac makes with leather against the body and kydex for the gun to stay in?

I have carried my Glock 19 in my Comp-Tac MTAC holster daily for about 4 months now with zero holster wear. YMMV.

Generally with kydex, you get less holster wear due to less surface contact than leather. Leather tends to "touch" the gun more and hold moisture. With leather it also depends on the lining, as to how much wear and how quickly. IMO it is really indifferent as every gun that is carried much will show holster wear sooner or later.

Put some WS clp on the inside of the leather holster, it keeps the moisture off the gun.:D

The same reason you'd buy a Glock and then worry that your holster might scuff the finish. :D

I know people like that, seems I can go buy a new means of transportation and someone will scratch, ding or screw it up some way real quick.:D I don't worry about it, now my truck does have one of those spray in bed liners (came with it) and I'm here to tell you those things are spiffy. If I was to buy a new truck tomorrow, I'd have one of those put in the very day I picked it up.:P

I ain't skeered. You should see the truck bed in my ram. Rhinoliner owes me some warranty work.:D
Your'e not supposed to actually try and haul rhinos, they are rough on anything.:D

damage to a truck bed that occurs in normal use of the truck does not devalue the vehicle.

my truck look near as good as the day I drove it off the lot brand new, but the bed look like it has hauled gravel, firewood, a four wheeler, a golf cart, cinder blocks, more gravel, lots of mulch and more firewood, etc.... Beat to crap, dented faded and scratched. Doubt it effects the value any.

Your carry gun is a tool. The purpose is to defend yourself with. Buy one that a few dings dents and scratches is not going to bother. You can always buy a BBQ gun to look pretty with later on.

As for the dude with the fancy truck bed, When he is not looking toss a pallet or two in it. That ought to fix things a little.