Anyone seen a DW CBOB for sale?

Lumber_Jack

Why DW (CZ) stopped making them I'll never understand. One of the finest looking and shooting 1911's ever made, IMHO.

Yeah I can't figure it out. And in 2009 they were right around $1000. Wish I had the cash then.

They replaced it with the VBOB which IMO isn't even close, plus they raised the price to $1600

The cbob is still made in limited numbers for the California market (or at least was as of last year), but often they get sold outside Cali.  This causes a real premium since the Cali guys will pay almost anything for one if they find it.

While preferences obviously play into it, the Vbob is really a nicer gun IMO.  The vbob is slightly thinner.  Vbob has EGW Carry bevel bushing and plug vs the cbob standard setup.  The rear sight is straight 8 rather than the cbob 2 dot.  The flats are not polished, it has thin grips instead of regular size cocobolas.  The mainspring housing on the vbob is checkered. Solid vbob trigger vs k style on the cbob.  Standard checkered mag release vs extended serrated on cbob.  The vbobs are usually have more time spent finishing and on the details. Oh and the checkering runs higher up the grip on the vbob.

I've owned 6 cbobs and the only two that would compete (fit and finish wise) with a vbob was the 2 tone 10mm cbob which I sold to another member and the California only 2010.

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1

Yeah I can't figure it out. And in 2009 they were right around $1000. Wish I had the cash then.

They replaced it with the VBOB which IMO isn't even close, plus they raised the price to $1600

The 2009 models are nowhere near the level of the 2010 and newer Cali cbobs or the vbobs.  Starting with 2010 all frames are forged, the fire control parts are better and the fitting/finishing is better.

Interesting info. I didn't know.

I have no doubt thy the VBOB was superior and this commanded a higher price. I just love the looks if the cbob and is slightly more affordable depending on the seller :)

What most folks like about the cbob, myself included is the look of the polished flats and cocobolo grips.  My understanding is that since the vbob is more of a defensive fighting gun, they went with a finish that was easier to maintain (glass bead) and reflects less light.

During the off season the vbob prices always rise, but once they start flowing you can often find them for $1400-1500 and sometimes less.  Be patient if you find a cbob because the quality really varies on the pre 2010 models.  Especially so on the pre CZ models.

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1

I may regret this but I have been flirting with the idea of selling my DW Classic Bobtail .45 because I never shoot it.  Bought it from a TGO member a while back.  Loved the feel of it so much I bobbed one of my homebuilds and been shooting that one.  Hardly ever get the DW out except to fondle and drool all over it. 

The herd is about to be thinned again and the DW will be up for sale.  If you can make it over to middle TN, I will certainly wipe the slobber off for a clean inspection.  Once in your hand you will have to have it.  It's tight, feels right, shoot's straight and pretty too.  Like said, they don't make them like this anymore.

• Like 1

I have one in 10MM. I also had one in .45 which I sold. The 10MM is the hard one to find now. It was cheaper than the

.45 back in 2008. But the price on the 10MM has increased greatly do to the non availability of 10MM in a 1911 without

paying a premium and the rising interest in the round.

The fit and finish on mine is fantastic. It has the best trigger on any pistol I own.

I have one in 10MM. I also had one in .45 which I sold. The 10MM is the hard one to find now. It was cheaper than the

.45 back in 2008. But the price on the 10MM has increased greatly do to the non availability of 10MM in a 1911 without

paying a premium and the rising interest in the round.

The fit and finish on mine is fantastic. It has the best trigger on any pistol I own.

yeah there was one on GunBroker for $1500 starting bid last week, but it disapeared so I dont know if it sold or not.  I would love to have a 10mm version as Im such a fan of 10mm, but I think Im gonna go .45 first just for dollars sake. 

Have you ever shot a cbob?  If not, you may want to find one and shoot it before dropping the coin.  They conceal well and are sweet, but I was never able to shoot them as consistent as a non-bobbed 1911.  It was probably just my ineptness in adapting my draw, but no matter how much I liked them, I couldn't overcome it.  It seemed to me that the lack of "butt" caused them to roll a bit in my hand.  It took me awhile to figure out that it was the bob.

For anyone who has not shot a Bobtailed 1911,

My second 1911 that I ever owned was an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, before I shot that pistol I had never seen a Bob tailed 1911, for me anyway they are awesome. After the Kobra carry every commander length 1911 i owned was Bobtailed and If I ever buy another commander length 1911 it will be Bobtailed but I prefer 5 inch Government model 1911's and in them I prefer the standard grip and not the Bobtail
I have never shot a bobtail, but I have been enamored with them since I first saw one. I will get one and shoot it and like everything else, of I don't like it I will pass it on.

The only way this itch is gonna get scratched is to buy one and get to shootin :D

I have never shot a bobtail, but I have been enamored with them since I first saw one. I will get one and shoot it and like everything else, of I don't like it I will pass it on.

The only way this itch is gonna get scratched is to buy one and get to shootin :D

If you happen to be around the Morristown / Bean Station area sometime, I'd be happy to let you run a few rounds through my DW CBOB. 

Edited by Motasyco

If you happen to be around the Morristown / Bean Station area sometime, I'd be happy to let you run a few rounds through my DW CBOB.

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. it looks like I've got a bead on one. I should have it in hand within a couple weeks.