Gun control group: 'Skip Starbucks Saturday'

Well, keep in mind that not having a policy one way or the other doesn't make a company an activist or a supporter.  Starbucks doesn't have to pick a side on this.  They're strategy is to simply obey state law.  The liberals are claiming that by not coming up with their own policy they are somehow responsible.  Meanwhile, gun owners look at Starbucks as taking a stand against the hippies, when in fact they aren't doing that at all.  They could care less who carries or who doesn't.  They're just trying to sell coffee.

The only reason I'd OC into a Starbucks is to piss off the wannabe hippies.  Other than that, a cup of their coffee costs more than a pound of sirloin with my Kroger Plus Card.  That's why I don't go there.

• Like 2

I'm not a big Starbucks coffee fan, it's kinda burnt tasting, too many hippies hang there but I do appreciate that they aren't taking a anti-gun stand when more businesses would gladly do that.

It is sad that we have come to a point where it is an expectation for a business to immediately adopt a liberal policy when there is any pressure from the left, and when a business does not immediately cave we have appreciative.  I totally agree with you, as I too like that Starbucks isn't giving in to a largely left-leaning clientel.  It just says a lot about where we are right now as a country.

I'm not so certain that Starbucks would maintain their policy if there was a shooting at one of their stores followed by extreme pressure from the leftist media.  That's me being cynical, but I think it might be true.

wow this was in the article

"In May, a female customer at a Starbucks store in St. Petersburg, Fla., was accidentally shot in the leg when another woman dropped her purse — which carried a gun that discharged."

no source was cited gee i wonder why. 

"many moms are unaware that if they take their children to star bucks they could be standing next to a loaded gun"    

it makes me want to change to a retention holster to keep my gun from jumping out on its own and pistol whipping hippies. (i tried to take it to obedience training but it laughed at me). 

I will buy buy a cup of coffee Saturday to support starbucks. So if me and TerryW do that it should cover how many people abstain from starbucks because of guns.  

it makes me want to change to a retention holster to keep my gun from jumping out on its own and pistol whipping hippies.

Yeah, cause if anybody's gonna be whoopin' hippies I want it to be me!  Why should my gun get to have all the fun?  (Just kidding.  No, really - kidding.)

I think I have bought a beverage at Starbucks once in my entire life and that wasn't even in one of their actual stores - it was at a Target that had a Starbucks in it.  I have bought their bottled, 'iced' coffee on occasion - but still probably not more than five times, total.  Still, I might have to try and make it into a Starubucks this Saturday.  I realize that their policy is more a refusal to take a side than anything else but, honestly, in this case I think it is a matter of, "If they ain't agin us then that's about as good as bein' fer us."

Oh, and lately I have been thinking, "What is the difference between a real hippie and a wanna-be hippie?"  Well, I figure a real hippie kind of wanders around the country, maybe in an old van or similar conveyence, smoking weed and trying to do their 'thing' without becoming too much a part of the 'rat race'.  Meanwhile, wanna-be hippies also smoke a little weed but then put on their $200 wannabe-hippie sandals, their $100 'environmentally friendly' jeans and $50 'socially conscious' t-shirt then load their laptops and tablets, along with their similarly dressed kids, their laptops and their tablets into the new Volvo they just bought to take a trip to Starbucks so they can pay $8.00 apiece for something to drink while trying to make themselves feel better about all the excess and more 'righteous' than the rest of us by using their laptop and/or tablet to post to their blog and preach about how the rest of us need to be more environmentally and socially conscious and, of course, get rid of the guns, man.

I have little use for the former and absolutely none for the latter.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I'd like to add a poll to this thread to see how many of us think these wackjob(redundant) leftists can change Starbucks current policy.?.  I don't know how...... 

Starbucks (suprisingly) seems pretty determined to stay nuetral.  Which I understand TMF's point as thats not a "pro gun" stance.  But in todays liberal climate I'll take a nuetral stance over a far leftist stance any day.  Im sure if there was a true protest that hit Starbucks in their wallet hard enough maybe they would sway, but look ad Starbucks buisness structure.  They are on every street corner, in malls, airports, hotel lobbies, even in my local Kroger.  They are so spread and diverse I think its next to imposible for either side, us or them, to siginificantly impact Starbucks bottom line, regardless of their political stances.

The last time I visited a Starbucks was when gun groups and forums asked that we shop there and tell them we appreciated their common sense policy. My next visit will be this Saturday to do the same thing.

I don't think they want to "hear" from pro-gunners any more than from the antis. I'm sure a mass patronage by open carriers wouldn't please them any more than bunch of anti-gun demonstrators, either.

- OS

• Like 1

I'm going to make sure I buy a cup of coffee there tomorrow. Just so they see their business isn't affected at all (I highly doubt it would be anyway). I respect their stance completely. All they want to do is sell coffee. Which works perfect for me, I like to keep my life compartmentalized anyway, I want my musicians to keep turning out good music and not force your political views on me, same with actors, same with people that are good at making coffee. 

• Like 1