Ok so honest to God I really don't know jack about cans. With that said I really want one for my Glock, but really don't know the first place to read up or a good study guide. I would love for some gurus to teach this grasshopper a thing or two and maybe recommend some reading material. Also what is the most reasonably priced fully functional and good quality can for a Glock. What are the pros and cons just general info. Everything is much appreciated.
  • Like 1

I would suggest paying for a membership to silencer research. It is like $30 for a year. It will save you a lot of grief from buying a crappy can. The lists are excel and easily searched. I will say that he is not current but has every can tested up to about 2 years ago. And there are very few "new" cans on the market. Nearly every can in his lists are still available.

Another decent place is here:

http://www.silencerforum.com/

And finally DO NOT rely on manufacturer's numbers. They do not test the same. Each company tests to give their can the best possible numbers. Unless they are testing to the milspec standard do not believe the numbers.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I met a dude at the range that told me he was in a Tampa Gun show - there was a table of supressors and a govt mule there with a laptop. According to him, you pay the seller and the govt mule ran the checks right there and then. When he cleared the check in 15 minutes, he walked out with a shiny new suppressor....all legal like. He said they do it once a year like that - I am a bit baffled and confused by this - has anyone else heard of such a thing?

[quote name="itw69fxst" post="1028049" timestamp="1378495058"] I met a dude at the range that told me he was in a Tampa Gun show - there was a table of supressors and a govt mule there with a laptop. According to him, you pay the seller and the govt mule ran the checks right there and then. When he cleared the check in 15 minutes, he walked out with a shiny new suppressor....all legal like. He said they do it once a year like that - I am a bit baffled and confused by this - has anyone else heard of such a thing?[/quote] Were his eyes brown? Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 2

The Silencerco Osprey and AAC Ti-Rant are probably the two best boosted pistol cans out there right now.  That being said, I've got a couple of Thompson Machine cans (not the ISIS, though), and they are excellent, and super good folks to deal with, too.

Were I you, the main things I would look for are at least partial dissembly ability (you should at least be able to take the booster piston out... the whole baffle stack is even better), and adaptability to various weapons (availability of fixed-barrel spacers, changable thread pitches, etc). 

Be prepared for way too long of a wait.  :down:  And to want more suppressors, because they are addictive as crack.   :up:

DanO

I met a dude at the range that told me he was in a Tampa Gun show - there was a table of supressors and a govt mule there with a laptop. According to him, you pay the seller and the govt mule ran the checks right there and then. When he cleared the check in 15 minutes, he walked out with a shiny new suppressor....all legal like. He said they do it once a year like that - I am a bit baffled and confused by this - has anyone else heard of such a thing?

BS

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

Actually Form 3 transfers between dealers are being done electronically and taking less than a week. Also, trusts were being done the same way and taking the same amount of time, at least until Obama's recent EO. Now that fingerprints need to be submitted with trusts it is going to take as long as "normal". The electronic Form 3 transfers is a rather recent development and still has some bugs in it but it is still better than the 1+ month wait that normally happens.

As far as someone having a "instant" check to walk out with a silencer that is a pipe dream. It never happened, at least not legally. If you have the person's contact info PM me I would like to hear the specifics about it.

As much as I would like to see it happen it never will because of the requirement for fingerprints. If they could do away with the fingerprint requirement it could be done electronically.

Flat out BS.

Actually Form 3 transfers between dealers are being done electronically and taking less than a week.    Also, trusts were being done the same way and taking the same amount of time, at least until Obama's recent EO. Now that fingerprints need to be submitted with trusts it is going to take as long as "normal". The electronic Form 3 transfers is a rather recent development and still has some bugs in it but it is still better than the 1+ month wait that normally happens.

As far as someone having a "instant" check to walk out with a silencer that is a pipe dream. It never happened, at least not legally. If you have the person's contact info PM me I would like to hear the specifics about it.

As much as I would like to see it happen it never will because of the requirement for fingerprints. If they could do away with the fingerprint requirement it could be done electronically.

WRT to the two bold portions...

1) I don't think F3 transfers are down to a week are they?  My recent one took close to 1.5-2 months.  Even back in 2011, it took me a month.  I've been reading that F3 times suck and they're getting worse.

2) What do you mean by the trusts being done the same way and taking what amount of time?

WRT to the two bold portions...

1) I don't think F3 transfers are down to a week are they?  My recent one took close to 1.5-2 months.  Even back in 2011, it took me a month.  I've been reading that F3 times suck and they're getting worse.

2) What do you mean by the trusts being done the same way and taking what amount of time?

Quote from a reputable dealer selling on another forum:

All NFA rules apply.

If you have any questions about how to purchase a suppressor, just shoot me a PM.

Since the ATF has brought the electronic E-forms on-line, Form 3's are clearing in just days instead of months and months. Form 4s for NFA trusts can also be submitted on-line and are clearing nearly as fast. With all the talk of raising tax stamp costs and adding fingerprinting for members of trusts, now is the time to buy.

Shipping on all suppressors is just $10 to your FFL/SOT!

These were posted on 8/30/2013.

The electronic forms they just started are flying through. Only form 3s and 4s for trusts can be submitted on-line though. Form 4s for individuals have to be submitted by mail because of the CLEO signature and fingerprint cards. Mail is still months and months.

The new executive orders are going to require prints to be submitted by members of NFA trusts....

Were I quoted from:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211516-WTS-Huntertown-Arms-Suppressors!-308-5-56-9mm-amp-22

I believe the new regs cannot go in effect until 90 days after publication in the Federal Register.  Publication will be 9/19 (tomorrow).

Unless a law is enacted with Congress making and passing it, this should be fought with every tooth and nail because

it is bogus and unjust. Well, the whole bunch of laws fit that.

Talk to mike. User name "lawenforcementsales". Extremely nice guy and super helpful. He usually has suppressors in stock and has more than fair prices.

I'd look at the AAC 762 SDN6 for 308 and lower (ie: 556, 300 blk, 6.8, eft). Also sure fire makes some amazing cans with better, more solid mounting systems but cost a little more.

i like the specs on the liberty mystic can. its rated for full auto 7.62x39 or supersonic blackout. has fixed 5/8 threads, 1/2" fixed threads and a 1/2" booster for 9mm pistols. its fully take apart and ok'd for lead bullets and the like. can do subsonic .308 as well as .22lr. its ususally not very expensive, $700 iirc. 

Liberty customer service has been great. I don't have their can yet but have asked a half dozen questions. they always call me as they say email is too impersonal. usually ends up a 20-30 minute conversation about a lot of stuff. Great guys so far.

I am looking at their Freedom or Victory Magnum series for my 30-06 build in progress as well as the mystic.

If I wanted to get another suppressor put on my trust, do I need to resubmit my trust to the ATF?

ETA: After some research, I think I have to submit all the documents I did the first time: 2x copies of the trust, 2x copies of Form 4, 2x copies of the schedule, and 2x copies of the certification of compliance along with the $200 MO. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Symbolic

So I've been looking into it and it does look like the electronic form route is cutting down the times some.  I still don't think it will take days for a Form 4 to clear......but I'll put my money where my mouth is.  I should have an electronic F4 on my trust submitted within the next week or so.