Almost time to slang some arrows

I laughed too after it was over because I knew how crazy I must have looked. I ran through plenty of spider webs too which added to the whole experience with arms flailing. It's always annoyed me that spiders build their webs at face level in the woods. After the chigger incident, I'm surprised I didn't get stung by all of them. I will proceed with caution on Saturday, lol.

If you see a guy duel wielding Thermacells and a tank of Deet, that's me :)

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Holy crap, my stomach is hurting from laughing so hard. I too flip out when the web hits me in the face, hell the spider could be nowhere around and I'm karate chopping myself in the face to make SURE!

DANG! That's what I forgot, the Thermacell! Thanks for reminding me, I want to get one. Once I'm in the woods getting eaten up, it'll be too late to think about it then.

Thermacell is a must-have item for me. It works great to keep all the little gnats and 'skeeters from buzzing around me. I always use a face net too for an added layer of bug control and to camo my face. I can smell the smoke from it a little sometimes, but it doesn't affect the deer at all from what I've seen.
  • Like 1

Thermacell is a must-have item for me. It works great to keep all the little gnats and 'skeeters from buzzing around me. I always use a face net too for an added layer of bug control and to camo my face. I can smell the smoke from it a little sometimes, but it doesn't affect the deer at all from what I've seen.

I've never used a face net, but thought about it. I asked my buddy if he could smell the smoke and he said no and could barely see it. I figured if I smelled it at all, I'm in a 17 foot stand so maybe it would be okay. You don't run them all day anyway right, mostly morning and evening?

I've never used a face net, but thought about it. I asked my buddy if he could smell the smoke and he said no and could barely see it. I figured if I smelled it at all, I'm in a 17 foot stand so maybe it would be okay. You don't run them all day anyway right, mostly morning and evening?

Right, mostly morning and evening unless they're really active. Sometimes I'll run it the whole time if I need it. I keep spare butane and mats with me just in case. The mat will run out first (about 4 hours of continuous use). The cartridge will last all day with continuous use.
  • Like 1

Glad to hear that EH! I have a question for you. I bought a Tink's mock scrap kit tonight. Since I have plenty of movement (as of right now anyway), would it be okay to start one before this weekend, or should I leave well enough alone since they are coming in already?

Some people suggest that you make a scrape every time you hunt...
I did it out of frustration as I wasn't confident that I was planning to hunt the right area.

Some people suggest that you make a scrape every time you hunt...
I did it out of frustration as I wasn't confident that I was planning to hunt the right area.

Oh okay, never heard that but may give it a try. I think for this weekend at least, I will leave everything untouched and see how it goes. Staying out of the woods as much as I can.

3 days and counting gentlemen! Starting to daydream about sitting in my stand!

:rock:  :rock: :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  

• Like 1

I'm getting ansy, kinda like going on a first date, 'cept that likelihood of scoring is much higher :-)

LOL Yep, it's guaranteed (well, more likely) that you will be able to mount something too.

Oh hell, that's pretty much what you said dangit!

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

Oh okay, never heard that but may give it a try. I think for this weekend at least, I will leave everything untouched and see how it goes. Staying out of the woods as much as I can.

:rock:  :rock: :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  

Yeah...I'm trying to stay out of the woods until Saturday.  Not easy !

About the Scrape....the article I read said that even just scraping away the leaves without adding a scent can get their attention and cause them to stop and sniff that spot.

I'll see if I can find it and I'll post the link in a fresh thread.

• Like 1

Yeah...I'm trying to stay out of the woods until Saturday.  Not easy !

About the Scrape....the article I read said that even just scraping away the leaves without adding a scent can get their attention and cause them to stop and sniff that spot.

I'll see if I can find it and I'll post the link in a fresh thread.

No it's not, but I'm trying. I should be able to hang tough for the next, miserable, agonizing, 2 days lol.

I should be good then, because the places I had corn out are all pawed up. I had one pile 25 yards out from my stand that was probably 3 feet long and a foot wide. But I also moved around 10 yards or so away from the big pile and made about 5 small piles and they are all gone and pawed up too. They are corn forced scrapes  :up:

I'm literally day dreaming about already being up in that stand.

My wife is making fun of me because I repack my Daypack about every hour or two :)

LOL Mine would too. I'm not far from my vehicle when I hunt at this spot, so this year, I'm only bringing snacks, water, etc. I'm leaving the knives and extra crap that I always have in the pack for farther hunting spots in the truck. Only took me 7 years of hunting there to figure out "Hey dumba$$, you can be at your truck in 5 minutes, leave this stuff in the dang seat!" :rant:

• Like 1
Your not alone on the over packing part! I'm a 15 min walk from my house and I still pack like I'm going on a moose hunting expedition! This year not so much lol. I've gone to the basics.
Toilet paper, knife, spare face mask, scent kill, water, spark energy drink pouches, and pbj from the freezer section (like finding the golden egg when they thaw!), and 2 screw in steps, one for backpack and one for the bow.
  • Like 1

Does anyone else play hunting games on their phone while in the hunting lol? I learned my lesson last year and got smoked by 2 coyotes that walked right under me while I was busy hunting lions on my phone!

Lol. I haven't done that yet, but I might give it a try when I get bored this season.

Does anyone else play hunting games on their phone while in the hunting lol? I learned my lesson last year and got smoked by 2 coyotes that walked right under me while I was busy hunting lions on my phone!

I can't, I have to save the battery so I can call everyone I know and scream "HEY I KILLED A DEER!!! Now I'm going to give you the whole play by play, starting with when I woke up this morning!" :lol:

• Like 1
I don't play games but I HAVE ordered Gear while on stand.
Usually comfort oriented stuff!

Where I hunt, I am generally within 30 minutes of my car but it is often a fairly difficult climb through thick brush. I don't leave anything important behind.
But I'm getting better at deciding what's 'imortant'
  • Like 2

Anyone within 1 hour of Knox that has large enough property that they might want to invite a novice hunter? This will be my 2nd year. Didnt even see a deer last year. Drove to Manchester area WMA  twice with a friend and used Foothills WMA. Have a crossbow, and being an optimist, I have a new freezer.