For those loading 300 Blackout

I have a Daniel defense 16" upper. The way understand it is blackout chambered rifles can shoot whisper but whisper chambered rifles cannot shoot blackout. Like 223/556. I've shot about 60 Hornady vmax whispers through my Daniel defense blackout. I can't tell a different from my 147 gr fmj.

you are correct. there is a very small difference between whisper and blackout, and blackout can accept whisper, but not the likewise. I have a 300/221 which is a whisper with 8.5" barrel. So, I can load all my own stuff and make all my own brass and anyone can shoot it, but i cant shoot blackout ammo in gun.

I have a Daniel defense 16" upper. The way understand it is blackout chambered rifles can shoot whisper but whisper chambered rifles cannot shoot blackout. Like 223/556. I've shot about 60 Hornady vmax whispers through my Daniel defense blackout. I can't tell a different from my 147 gr fmj.

Question for someone, I know in the case of .223/5.56 the extra thickness of the 5.56 brass changes the case volume thus causing higher pressure for any given amount of powder and the saami max pressure rating for .223 is lower than that of 5.56 which is why they say not to run 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber. So it's not an actual physical problem with the case fitting the chamber but rather a max pressure issue. Is this the same reason for being able to run Whisper ammo in a Blackout chamber but not Blackout ammo in a Whisper chamber, or is there an actual outside dimensional issue that causes the Blackout round not to chamber in a Whisper chamber?
I don't have a Whisper chambered rifle but just curious.
Isn't true whisper is actually a diff caliber than 300 bo??? 221 comes to mind but I may be wrong.
On a side note I stick w what the manuals suggest. 300 BO can be scarce but there's enough open source load data available. Dolomite posted a link to a mfg site that had some good data hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

300 whisper, 300-221 and 300 Blackout ammunition is for all purposes is the same. The differences is in the chamber, like the 223/5.56. A Whisper chamber is a few thousandths tighter here and there compared to the Blackout. I have both and actually prefer the Whisper chamber.

The shoulder on 300 Whisper ammo is ever so slightly longer at the shoulder but that is well within the tolerances of the chamber and loaded ammunition.

They are so close the Hornady has publically said they are the same. Any of their ammunition or dies says it is for Whisper/Blackout guns.

Here are the chamber drawings:
300wb_diagram.jpg

You will notice that the 300 Whisper is a little tighter all the way around. I am guessing this is for the same reason it is done to 5.56 and that is to help with reliability.

I know there are cheaper barrels out there and who knows they might work as well as mine but I am tickled pink with my McGowen barrel. It was $225 at the time for a SS 16" barrel made on a blank and that included the price of the blank. Now I think he charges $240 shipped for a barrel. He will also do it to your specs.

Sucks that I am getting ready to chop 7" off the barrel for my SBR.

It is either $230 or $240, i can't remember.  I am having an 8.5" stainless threaded barrel made for my Blackout build.  Should actually be here any day as I ordered back in October.  

Oh, in case you are wondering a bullet doesn't need a full rotation in the barrel to be stable. If that was the case then most pistols would be unstable because they are almost all 1:15 or slower.

Yep, I've got a full frame M&P and I don't think it even makes a quarter turn between the chamber and exiting the muzzle. I guess it has more to do with the "whip" effect when it leaves the barrel? 

[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1076634" timestamp="1386694918"]Why do you want a 1:5? There is not a 30 caliber bullet in existence that will not stabilize in a 7 twist.[/quote] For what I am doing I need a 1:5. There is a reason AAC went with it on a gun of theirs.

Basically it was to cause the bullet to stabilize faster out of such a short barrel to reduce the risk of baffle strikes in their Honey Badger PDW.

didnt the honey badger have some type of two stage suppressor to help cycle the 6" barrel though?  That may be a rumor, not sure

You know? You're right. Sorry about that. Their .300AAC were out of stock. I guess I was so excited to see them

have anything in stock.

Edited by 6.8 AR