Ruger MKlll Hunter Stainless vs Polymer Frame

Sidewinder

I'm in "hot pursuit" of a Ruger MKlll Hunter and noticed they come in stainless frames, and in polymer frames. I own some polymer frame guns (ie. Glock 26) and have no problem with them. But, I'm thinking it's probably worth the difference in cost to go for the stainless frame in the MKlll Hunter. I'd be obliged, if I could get opinions from owners of both examples, including the pros and cons. Also, in the used market, is there that much of a price difference between the two models? Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Ruger 22/45 with a 4.5" TB and target sights  (Model 10150).  It makes a great suppressor platform.  If you want a light weight suppressor host, go for a Browning Buck Mark and replace the barrel with a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite 4" TB.  Balances real well with a can.  Both are very accurate. The Ruger, with the 4.5" barrel, makes a great field gun.

Thanks for the information. Now it makes sense that the polymer is actually a 22/45. The one I'm wanting is the MKlll Hunter with stainless fluted barrel, fiber optic front sight and stainless frame. Someone on here mentioned that Bud's had them for $509. I checked, and they're out of stock right now. But I saw where one with Crimpson Trace Lazer grips sold for $598, and used ones for $348. I'm not interested in one with lazer grips, but hope to find a nice used one in all stainless for $350 to $400. What do you guys think? Is that a realistic price in Middle Tennessee? Thanks.

I posted the following reply in another thread about the MKlll but then I saw this thread and thought it would also be appropriate here.

I just recently became the proud owner of a new MKIII Hunter, in stainless with the long fluted barrel, fiber optic front sight and the Ruger target grips. It is absolutely gorgeous and shoots as good as it looks. With a red dot on top, it's as accurate as my AR22 out to 50 yards. I haven't tried it past 50 yds.....yet.

I ordered the bushing that you put in to be able to remove the magazine disconnect. I also ordered the piece to replace the loaded chamber indicator. I plan to get the Volquartsen stainless match trigger and sear very soon. That's the neat thing about the Ruger's.....there's plenty stuff available to customize them and make them even better.

This gun is a keeper for sure. This is one that will become a treasured heirloom to my son, and his son, and so on. IMHO, every serious gun lover needs one of these in his/her collection.

I posted the following reply in another thread about the MKlll but then I saw this thread and thought it would also be appropriate here.

I just recently became the proud owner of a new MKIII Hunter, in stainless with the long fluted barrel, fiber optic front sight and the Ruger target grips. It is absolutely gorgeous and shoots as good as it looks. With a red dot on top, it's as accurate as my AR22 out to 50 yards. I haven't tried it past 50 yds.....yet.

I ordered the bushing that you put in to be able to remove the magazine disconnect. I also ordered the piece to replace the loaded chamber indicator. I plan to get the Volquartsen stainless match trigger and sear very soon. That's the neat thing about the Ruger's.....there's plenty stuff available to customize them and make them even better.

This gun is a keeper for sure. This is one that will become a treasured heirloom to my son, and his son, and so on. IMHO, every serious gun lover needs one of these in his/her collection.

Thanks PackinMama, That's a good report on the SS Hunter and makes me feel that my effort in the pursuit of one will pay off some day. I'm looking for the exact gun you have, but need to move cautiously, so as not to pay too much for it. I looked at a NITB Ruger MKlll stainless, Target, Slab Side in a local gun shop this afternoon for $559 out the door. It had the fancy Ruger walnut "Target" grips, with the thumb rest. This gun should be pretty comparable to the Hunter, in price. Therefore, I think I should be able to pick up a used one, at a reasonable price, if I take my time.

I can do that, as I have acquired a Ruger MKll Target, with blued 5 1/2" barrel. It's a 1991 model, and in excellent condition. Checking the "asking" prices on Gunbroker, these brought about as much money as the MKlll Hunters! Apparently, they are pretty much sought after too. I'll enjoy...and keep, my MKll Target, while I look for that "bargain" in the MKlll Hunter... all stainless, with fluted barrel, and fiber optic sights. This way, there's no hurry...and I can wait out the best deal.

Have you experimented with different ammo in yours? On the Ruger Forum, some say they will graze on anything you feed them... and others say theirs like this kind of ammo, or that kind of ammo. So far, my MKll Target doesn't seem to care what's in the magazine. I definitely think my MKll is a keeper. 

A friend of mine and I were considering a trade for my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, until he said his was a 22/45 Hunter. That meant "polymer frame", and a deal killer for me. Shame too, as his was brand new... with only one mag shot through it. He has the box, papers, and all the goodies. I thought it was the Hunter like yours.

Anyway, I'm glad you latched onto one, and are so pleased with it. Let us know how the "Red Dot" works out. I'm thinking it's going to be fantastic. Can't wait to get mine... patience...patience...take a deep breath... now relax! I'm OK now... think I'll go shoot my MKll Target again tomorrow. Thanks again for your review on your MKlll Hunter. It helps me know I'm on the right path.

Thanks for the information. Now it makes sense that the polymer is actually a 22/45. The one I'm wanting is the MKlll Hunter with stainless fluted barrel, fiber optic front sight and stainless frame. Someone on here mentioned that Bud's had them for $509. I checked, and they're out of stock right now. But I saw where one with Crimpson Trace Lazer grips sold for $598, and used ones for $348. I'm not interested in one with lazer grips, but hope to find a nice used one in all stainless for $350 to $400. What do you guys think? Is that a realistic price in Middle Tennessee? Thanks.

I think finding a Mark III Hunter for $350-$400 will be hard.  I think if you find one in excellent condition between $425 and $475, you will have done ok.  This model doesn't seem to lose its value much.

Edited by Hozzie
Finding a MKlll Hunter is no easy task, especially at a good price. My LGS has one in stock for $609. I bought mine on Gunbroker for $599 before I knew that my LGS actually had one sitting in their display case. Either way, the end price would have been almost the same.

I've ran several different kinds of ammo through mine (CCI, Aguila, SK, Remington, Federal), some cheap and some really good, and it shot it all with zero issues. It's definitely not ammo picky, which is a huge plus these days because with ammo being so scarce, you have to shoot whatever you can find.

I really like having a red dot on it, but the BSA that I used is one I had sitting around and it's just too big (although the gun handles it just fine). I'm planning on upgrading to a Burris Fastfire very soon. The fiber optic sights are pretty neat, and they would be good for what the gun was designed to do (hunt), but I don't think they're very suitable for target shooting, especially if you're looking for extreme accuracy. Some of the MKlll Hunters that I see online come with a little tube of different color fiber optic tubes and a special little tool so you can change them out. Mine didn't come with one, but a call to Ruger took care of that problem quickly. They sent me one free of charge.

Now all I need to do is find a shoulder holster rig that will accomodate my MKlll with the red dot on it so I can take it out hunting on my property. :)

In reading through the posts on this site, and others, it seems the MK lll has a few warts that the MKll didn't have. While we're checking out the dirty laundry on the MK lll, has anyone compared the barrel lengths to accuracy? I'm thinking the one I want is the 6.88" barrel length, but there seem to be more of the shorter barrel versions available. On the price, Bud's has sold some used ones, with the shorter barrels for $348 and new ones with the Crimson Trace lazer grips for $598. I may have to go straight cash, but I'm also looking for a trade situation on my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt that's in very good condition. I know the process to get a good deal is an uphill climb, but hopefully, patience and someone needing cash, or a real nice Blackhawk, will have a real nice one they are willing to part with...probably not from this site, as we all want to keep ours, right? My research continues.

MKIII steel grips vs the new 2245 is all about weight, balance, how Ruger configures various models and availability.  I have lost count how many I have had or have worked on for friends. I've had pre-MKIs, MKIIs, MKIIIs and 2245s and a Lite. Although the heft of the MKIIIs is comforting I prefer the grip angle, weight and balance of the 2245 in 5.5".  The steel frame of the MKIII/II/I is a clamshell deisgn that is welded along a seam and finished very well.  I have found that the polymer frames hold up to tremendous abuse.  If you get a poly frame 2245 that has removable grip slabs there is a variety of slabs you can install including modding 1911 slabs.  My 2245 does not have removable grips so I cut the back off a Hogue finger groove grip and cemented it on the 2245 frame.  Works like a charm, but doesn't look that great.  I did some dremel carving on my grip to shape some areas where my fingers touch the gun.   I haven't been in a gunshop for 8 or 9 months but the last time I looked the plain jane econo 2245 with 5.5 blue barrel and non removable grips was tagged at about $280-290.  With about 75.00 worth of Volquartsen parts you can really make that thing "sing."  

Lots of folks find dis and re-assembly of these guns daunting.  There are good videos and still shot-by-shot tutorials on the internet.

I've ripped the mag disconnects out of a dozens of MKIIIs and replaced them with standard MKII bushings or specialty bushings.  I took the LCI out of several also.  I used an aftermarket LCI filler to fill the gap where the LCI went in mine.  I just don't like all the gunk that accumulates around the LCI.  If you replace the sear and trigger with VQ parts you will drop your trigger pull to a clean 2.75lbs.

This part more accurately replaces the space of the mag disconnect in MKIIIs 

http://www.tandemkro...ushing_p_9.html

LCI replacement

http://www.tandemkro...nsert_p_16.html

http://www.tandemkro...Combo_p_34.html

These are nice replacement parts also:

Volquartsen triggers (adjusts for over and pretravel)

http://www.rimfiresp...tegory_Code=VC2

MKII bushing to be used in place of the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus: 

Volquartsen sear will do amazing things for your trigger pull

Edited by graycrait

FYI, Whittackers had one posted for like $550 'ish. Of course you would have to have it transferred in.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who who pitched in to help. Got a tip from a guy in the ammo line at Wal-Mart a couple of days ago about one that had just came in ro Academy Sports in Smyrna. I called and had the hold it for me. Picked it up this afternoon, and am very satisfied. It's the all stainless Ruger MK lll Hunter, with 6.78 fluted barrel and fiber optic sights. I'm "Happy - Happy - Happy"! Thanks again to all.

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll love it. That's a great find.

Do you mind telling us the Academy pricing?

Thanks... Academy had it priced at $549.00, NIB. After I got home, I couldn't find the scope rail base and screws. Academy could not determine that one was supposed to come with it... but I think it does. Anyone else that has bought a new stainless steel MK lll Hunter on here? If so, did your's have a scope rail and screws? It's such an inexpensive item that I think Ruger puts one in the Ruger MK lll Hunter boxes. It has to be stainless to match the rest of the gun.

Awesome. Let is know how you like the factory Ruger FO sights, I've been thinking about outing a pair on mine but haven't decided.

I will do. Haven't shot it yet... but plan to very soon. Some tell me that there's a rear sight with the FO sight tubes in it! Said you can use same colors as front sight, or different. I might have to check that out.

Thanks for the information. I was curious about the pricing. I have an older MKIII Hunter with the 5", and was kind of thinking about getting the new, longer barrel version and selling mine.

And yes, my MKIII came with the rail and mounting screws. If Acadamey can't help you with them, call Ruger about it.

I have a 22/45 in polymer.  My 2 cents... the grip angle aside, the grip is the wrong size and does not feel anything like a 1911.  Not even close -- I do not hold it the same way at all because its significantly different.   Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting the type that allows you to change the grips to use custom grips.  The polymer does not (or did not?  Not sure about current offering) allow you to do anything to change the grip.   As far as such things go, my pistol is nearly worn out (barrel is looking kinda smooth) and the grips are as good as the day they were made (probably in the late 80s).

They are supposed to come with a scope rail. Just give Ruger a call and tell them yours was missing and they will send you one.

Congrats on finding one! You'll love it!

PackinMama, thanks for the information. I hope a lot of the other Ruger MK lll "Hunter" owners will chime in to the affirmative on the scope rail coming with their guns. I spoke with Ferris at Academy, who said if I could show them something writing, they'd try to take care of it for me. He said he had gone to the Ruger website, and couldn't fine anything that said my gun came with a scope rail and screws. For the price, I thought a scope rail should be included in the box. If Academy won't help me, which they're not going to, unless I can produce something in writing, I'll have to count on Ruger to come through. Who did you talk to there...Customer Service? Thanks for your help. I'll give a field report on the gun after I shoot it.

My old eyes are tired... a friend told me they have the rear sight with the fiber optic light tubes... kinda like night sights on the Glocks. Might be a lot of help, coupled with the fiber optic front sight. Maybe you or someone else has one and can give us a report. Thanks again.