Star Super A "Restoration"

Guest ppardue1

Guest ppardue1

A few weeks ago I picked up this Star Super A. It was built in 1947 and looked every day of its age. It had been pretty neglected and had a very generous coating of rust. I consider myself a purist and hate modifying historic guns. That said, the rust had taken care of most of the historic value on this gun so I set about cleaning it up.

526347_10151882986525152_36453930_n.jpg

You're actually looking at the "good" side in this picture. The other was even worse.

Given that I didn't pay much for it ($150) I was not going to reblue it (not to mention that once I got the rust off there was some serious pitting which would have taken quite an effort to prepare for bluing). I elected to give it a two-tone scheme with Gun-Kote. My next plan was to polish and engine-turn the barrel, trigger, and hammer. I discovered, however, that the hammer had pitting on its shank deep enough such that machining it away would leave the hammer far undersized. Short of making a new hammer, I decided to polish the bright parts up and leave them alone.

526347_10151882986530152_1551851655_n.jp

Parkerizing in preparation for Gun-Kote

I didn't get away without fabricating a few parts. The take-down lever is retained by a "half-turn" screw. I nearly had to drill it out however I finally retrieved it from the frame and made a new one.

1185878_10151879611705152_623845023_n.jp

I made this on my 16" lathe. It would have worked (and it took some time to figure out how to make such a delicate part on a huge lathe) but a friend of mine invited me to try making one on his jeweler's lathe. As one would imagine this was far easier and produced a much better screw.

The last order of business was to make a new set of grips. I picked up some curly maple and went to work. I knew I wanted to inlay these grips. When I laid out my pattern, though, I was a bit daunted by the complexity of what I had chosen. I decided to try, for the first time, a decal. It isn't quite as attractive as inlay but the effort was considerably less.

The finished product:

1234381_10151906454720152_2113284044_n.j

1234381_10151906454725152_852888244_n.jp

1234381_10151906454730152_764026710_n.jp

I hope I haven't upset any purists but I think it looks pretty good for what it is: an all-steel 9mm which is a near-copy of a 1911.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ppardue1

Great job!  How does it shoot?

Well, I haven't shot it in its current state. I did shoot it before cleaning it up and it is decent. I have one other 9mm, a P-38, and I prefer it in terms of how it handles and the sight picture. That said, I have been amazed at how well this gun handles 9mm Parabellum. My P-38 hates hollow points, however this gun shoots them just fine. It is currently chambered in 9mm Largo and I am working on the fix to get 9mm Parabellum to headspace correctly. Until then, I am surprised at how well it works.

Thanks for all the compliments.