Who has a 300 blackout?

Hunter24

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a super nice setup. You are going to have a hard time shooting better than the gun is capable of with quality ammo.

Now you need to find a decent mildot scope to toss on top.

What did you pick up? AR, bolt gun or Thompson Center or H&R Handi rifle? If an AR what is the barrel length and what is the gas system length.

They make so many patforms in 300 Blackout that it is possible to have 5-6 totally different guns chambered in 300 Blackout. I have 3, an AR, a bolt action pistol and a T/C Contender. The AR and bolt gun have 8 twist barrels and the Contender has a 10 twist. I will be building a 10 twist bolt action rifle in the caliber as well.

Accuracy depends on the platform, optics and the ammo. I only shoot ammo I have handloaded. Shooting my cast bullet loads I am getting ~2 MOA and shooting handloads using jacketed bullets I am getting sub MOA groups. I have never shot a single factory loaded round because it is too expensive and it is hard to find. And besides I do not believe a factory round will ever be as accurate as ammo I have optimized for my guns.

If you plan on shooting a lot you need to either be rich or a reloader.

I reload because of ammo availability more than anything else anymore. It is just a bonus that I can do it for so cheap. And by cheap I mean CHEAP because I cast every bullet I shoot. It costs me just 4.4 cents per loaded round for my subsonic and 7.3 cents each for my supersonic. It is almost like this caliber was designed with bullet casters in mind because it is a very forgiving caliber as long as the gun is working properly. When I first started last year I realized there were no really good cast bullets for the caliber. So after trying almost every one out there I have designed several cast bullets to work with it. And to make my cast bulelts even better I have started powder coating my cast bullets for use in my 300 Blackout. I am waiting on my Form 1's to come back. After that I will have a SBR and a suppressor I am building myself. And as soon as I get my new lathe I will be chopping and threading the Contender barrel for the suppressor.

For years I bad mouthed the 300 Blackout. I was saying that there is nothing it can do that the 223 can't. Then a little over a year ago I decided to see what all the hype was about and built a Savage in 300 Blackout. I immediately fell head over heals in love with the caliber. If I wanted to I could hunt squirrels with it or I could deer hunt with it. I do not hunt at all but it is a great feeling knowing I have that flexibility.

The caliber does two things really well. It shoots lightweight bullets really fast and really heavy bullets really slow. And if you are shooting subsonics exclusively you can actually use a 22lr BDC scope because 220-240 subsonics match 22lr out to 150 yards.

Thanks for the knowledge.

I have no pictures of mine with me but it looks like a garden variety AR with a heavy barrel on it. I've got a CMMG 16" 7 twist barrel and all I have had a chance to load and shoot so far have been 150gr bullets. I've now loaded and shot some fmj (M80 pulls from David which are actually 147gr) and some soft points. Timthetoolman and I research, load and shoot together for the most part and also built identical Blackout rifles so that all of our load development crosses over. The scope I put on mine has a small circle around the crosshairs so super precision is really tough but I shot a 10rd group in which 9rds worth measured 3/4" with one off by itself stretching the group to 1 1/4". If you handload, you can't go wrong with David's M80 pulls for an economical round. I have some Sierra SMK's that I want to get loaded at some point and I expect the group size to shrink even more when I do. I bought a 155gr bullet mold last week and it arrived Friday just before leaving for Florida but i'll report back on that as soon as we get some brass loaded and emptied.

I HOPE you enjoy the new rifle but I KNOW you will love the cartridge.