I love free brass............................

Guest BCR#1

Why buy it when you can pick it up for free. I average around a K a month after the pistol and subgun matches and the plinking range usually has a couple hundred laying around on the W/E. My scrap brass bucket is getting full too.

Bill

Yup. Same here. Most gun folks are really great people... nearly every time I go to the range I meet the people around me and we all try out each other's guns. Many folks notice my ammo boxes look different and ask me why. I explain to them that I reload, and point out that I bring my own brass bucket for spent casings. Almost without fail, they will light up, say "That's cool!", then offer to give me their brass. It really is nice.

Of course, it's also nice to get a little compensation after they get all excited shooting my .44 and they go through 18-24 rounds of my ammo... even reloading, that stuff ain't cheap! :-D

used to get a bunch whe ni was volunteering as a range safety for the county range. anymore, they are questioning people picking up their own brass let alone others. they don't have rules against it but some of their safetys can be sticklers trying to get brass for themselves I guess. I also noticed the range started selling bagged range brass...

I found about 20 pieces a couple weeks back. Stupid me threw them out but if I find more will save them. 20 obviously isnt much but its something.

Never, ever throw away any brass. I have a 5 gallon bucket I throw scrap brass in, even berdan primed brass. Recycle it for around $2.00 a lb. at present. I don't load .380 but I have around 250 pcs. that are worth $.05 ea. to the right person so I will continue to pick it up. The same goes for .308 Win., 75 pcs. right now at $ .10 ea.

Bill

I pick it up when I can. I've just gotten back into reloading this year, but I do remember the importance of giving range brass a very good look. I have a very large magnifier for that job. I also measure the OAL compared to measurements I've made of new brass to see how it looks. I know some people will trim brass that runs over the recommended AOL, but I don't use it. If its stretched past the measurement, I throw it out to be safe. That's just me though because my wife shoots my reloads too and I'm not taking chances.

When I go to the range, I keep my brass( mostly .40/9mm and 5.56/.223)

I haven't gotteninto reloading quite yet but saving brass for when I do ammounts to heavy duty freezer bags full of brass in a sunflower seed bucket.

Shot sunday at Waldens and a friend was with me. He shot his K-98 mauser and M1-Garand. Saved all the brass we shot.

Guest Phantom6

As an instructor I'm in the cat bitrd's seat. I take a couple of "Homer" buckets to the range and have my students police their brass and place it in the big ol' orange bucket. Since I reload .32acp, .380, 9 Mak., 9mm, .38 spcl., .45acp and .45 Colt, .410, 20 ga. and 12 ga., .556, 7.2 x 39, 7.2 x 54R and .303 Brit I literally "Clean up" every time I give a class. I hate it when they bring .22 pistols to the HCP class. ;-)

I picked up a few hundred mixed pistol brass today, haven't sorted it out yet.
Still haven't caught anyone at the rifle range this year to get their brass...maybe in the next couple of weeks otherwise I'm going to have to look at buying factory ammo or some new brass for my 30-06.

so you are the guy that is beating me to the club and getting all the brass.  i use to pickup brass, but when the ammo shortage came along the brass count went down and/or you got there first.  i only took what i could reload and left the others for someone else.   

• Like 1

so you are the guy that is beating me to the club and getting all the brass.  i use to pickup brass, but when the ammo shortage came along the brass count went down and/or you got there first.  i only took what i could reload and left the others for someone else.   

I hate it for ya Frank. Only 60-70 pcs. this morning but some nice 30.06 in the mix.

Bill