OK, time to talk about the Kenya mall shooting a bit

sorry if this has been posted but I didn't see it.  If so, feel free to merge the threat.  I did a search for Kenya.

Every time i turned on the news they kept talking about the kenya mall shooting.  At least they are calling it terrorist. 

However now they are talking about how "soft" targets are becoming more likely due to high security at airports"hard targets."

It is almost like they are now using this event over there in the homeland of O, to start the public thinking about increasing security at malls at the home front.

Seriously, they are going to get and keep the sheep so scared they will be willing to say in their pens, and protected by the sheep dog.

I think that the intention is well meant, but I agree that it is ineffective. I spent 1963-1966 at SE Asia MACV “summer camp” and carried a Winchester 70 in 30-06 with a Unertyl scope. I can state from experience that if somebody wants you dead, a trained aggressor will get past all of your security and will drop you.

After 9-11 several other vets of similar experience and I sat down and worked out at State Guard drill what we felt would be the most devastating scenarios for terrorists in this country. We distilled it down to two that would be the most effective. Scenario A was a public school, preferably an elementary school. (Killing children tends to be more shocking than killing adults). Scenario B was a crowded shopping mall, preferably just before Christmas. In both scenarios we found a way to enter by passing right through security (hidden in plain sight) . I won’t go into detail but in both cases I absolutely guarantee security would admit us. In both cases we were entering with a large load of explosives, enough to kill hundreds if not thousands of innocent people.

If terrorists were to do it in this country I don’t really believe they would do it with troops, they would use explosives. I also strongly feel that there is always a way to get explosives in, even through tight security.

The biggest problem with terrorism is that the tactics are highly effective, requiring small, minimal sized teams and can escape detection.

We are spending billions of dollars, through multiple agencies (DHS, FBI, etc.)

But we are preparing for an invasion (large groups of enemies) and not for insertion (small groups of enemies) and I am not all that certain you actually can stop a well planned insertion. I believe good local LEA action is more effective than Federal action.

I just don’t believe that there is any kind of Big Government inclusive program that will be effective against terrorists. Having played the game, I am confident I could beat the “Security Experts” and if a big boom was wanted, a big boom would happen.

• Like 2

there is and has been small sleeper cells all over this country for many years just waiting for orders. The Boston Marathon is just an example of it. They moved all through that crowd totally undetected and it was only after the explosions that they identified the bombers and yea they got them but only after they had completed their mission.  This is how our lives are going to play out for ever and it actually began long before 9/11/2001. Unless the American public becomes very vigilant in paying attention to what is going on around them there will be more Boston type attacks and many of the far worse than that one was. I am always aware of my surroundings. I have not been in a mall in over 20 years and don't have any plans on going to one any time soon. I stick with smaller more mom and pop like stores when at all possible. Maybe Kroger store once a month or a Sams Store once a month but those are the only large stores I get near. I avoid large crowds when at all possible. Large crowds are easy targets especially when they are always there. Football games, basket ball games, Nascar races have all taken extra security measures but like mentioned above. If that is going to be a target it will happen. A vending truck that has been coming to any one of these locations for years can be part of a cell and Explosive devices can be put in place long before the event and unless some big dignitaries are planning on attending the event the bomb sniffing dogs are not used. Wait till the stands are packed and then dial a cell phone and do business. That is how easy it can be done...........jmho

When the news broke about the mall in Kenya, I thought to myself that was a rehearsal of what will happen in in the future here.  With Black Friday just about 8 weeks away, just think of the carnage of a fully packed mall in the USA with 4-5 guys with AKs or something similar.

I went to a mall up in Illinois several years back with a friend(not my idea) and the thing was so large if it were to come under attack it would take the Illinois national Guard to go in and locate the bad guys and it may take them several days to find them all. Don't know if it is still open but I think the name of the mall was York Plaza. I know you could put a mall like Rivergate in it at least 5 times of more.

Edited by bersaguy

All kinds of bad things happen all over.  I am not going to quit living my life and avoid every gun free zone because someone could do something bad.  I am not a big fan of huge crowds, but that is mostly because I think people are rude and have no consideration for others, not because I have some concern that one of them may be out to get us.  My opinion only, but if you won't go somewhere just because someone could see it as a soft target, you have already lost.  If it is my time, it is my time.  I can get broadsided by a truck tomorrow.  It seems that a lot of people don't have enough to worry about to me.  

Don't get me wrong, I don't see this as a reason for the government to do whatever they want and "save us from ourselves".  Bad shit will happen and there isn't anything any of us can do about it.  Go live life and enjoy it!

Not much to say about the mall fiasco. In a land where 8 year old boys have more combat experience than a marine e 5, this is nothing huge. Most of what happens in Kenya, or other countries in africa Never hits the news until a journalist gets in the middle of it...our us malls are dying a slow death... No mall mgmt co will ramp up security.As usual,some copycat will have a stupid attack in a mall gun owners will get blamed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
The problem is we respond to terrorists by changing our way of life, which is what they want. We lose every time we limit our activities or rights out of fear for the enemy. We respond by wanting total security and peace of mind. Our response should simply be vigilance and avoiding complacency as opposed to putting a tac'ed out storm trooper on every corner and requiring a cavity search to do normal everyday stuff. Americans need to learn the whole WW2 British stiff upper lip thing. Besides, folks are thousands of times more likely to die of cancer than terrorism, yet there aren't MRI machines on every street corner.

Not much to say about the mall fiasco. In a land where 8 year old boys have more combat experience than a marine e 5, this is nothing huge. Most of what happens in Kenya, or other countries in africa

Kenya is actually very squared away compared to the rest of Africa. The child soldier thing is not very common. It's their neighbors that really have that problem.

The problem is we respond to terrorists by changing our way of life, which is what they want. We lose every time we limit our activities or rights out of fear for the enemy. We respond by wanting total security and peace of mind. Our response should simply be vigilance and avoiding complacency as opposed to putting a tac'ed out storm trooper on every corner and requiring a cavity search to do normal everyday stuff. Americans need to learn the whole WW2 British stiff upper lip thing. Besides, folks are thousands of times more likely to die of cancer than terrorism, yet there aren't MRI machines on every street corner.

You answered what the problem is. Now, how about the malaise that allows it? Our Founders addressed it, and the modern day

public expects security over liberty because they are so lazy and expecting of government. And the progressives keep on

pushing towards utopia where everyone has the cushy false feeling of that security. If we get the right message out there, maybe

some day we will get our liberty back.

We are on a path to Hell, paved by all those so-called good intentions. We still have a choice, but the message has to be pounded

into many.