Turkey shoots?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbia one is coming up soon, i saw the sign but don't remember which Sunday in October. I will try to find out this weekend. It is through thr VFW though, they do a couple a year.

Me and my dad go to almost the shoots in Columbia and Santa Fe. We actually had one in Mt. Pleasant last Saturday. Had a good turnout, shot 20 rounds with 12 people in each round. We felt good about it since it was a rainy day. I'll find out when the next one is in Columbia and I'll update this
[quote name="seez52" post="1040385" timestamp="1380340020"] What are the general rules these days and how are they scored?[/quote]In most I've been to, and at the one we hosted, closest pellet to center wins. We had traditional rounds (75ft, our shell and no stands or props) and open (80ft, your shell, and rests were allowed). Tie either goes to a shoot off or next closest pellet. Don't care too much for the open rounds since you end up with several that have the center completely blown out. Edited by KKing

In most I've been to, and at the one we hosted, closest pellet to center wins. We had traditional rounds (75ft, our shell and no stands or props) and open (80ft, your shell, and rests were allowed). Tie either goes to a shoot off or next closest pellet. Don't care too much for the open rounds since you end up with several that have the center completely blown out.

Are you doing these as fundraisers for a local group? We're trying to come up with a fundraiser for our group and thought we might check into what's involved and what the potential payback would be.

[quote name="seez52" post="1040412" timestamp="1380344356"] Are you doing these as fundraisers for a local group? We're trying to come up with a fundraiser for our group and thought we might check into what's involved and what the potential payback would be.[/quote] Yes sir, we actually organized it through our church, so all workers were volunteers. We charged $5 per round for the ham rounds and $3 per for the turkey rounds, first sign up sheet to fill up is the round we would shoot first. I'm not sure ours would be a good gauge as far as profitability goes because we served hot dogs and hamburgers that hardly no one bought, so we ate a lot of that money. I can say with confidence though that it would be worth your time and effort as a fundraiser. I forgot to mention we also had a long shot at 100ft that we judged by counting the number of pellets inside the center ring. Sold those shots for $3 per and we kept a running tally of it, declaring the winner at the end of the day. Not to brag, but as far as operationally running well ours went the smoothest of any I've ever been to so I'd be more than happy to share any info I can to help out Edited by KKing

KKing,

good info, I may call on you. We're still exploring. Next step is to scout out a location. Do you have a backstop on yours, or just a field behind? What the max rang for shotguns anyway?

The grounds we used was our local lions club. We shot towards a tree line with a field on the other side about 200 yards in length. I'm not sure what the absolute safe distance would be, but I'd think that as long as you were clear 100 yards in the shooting direction you'd be good
Guest TankerHC
I was going to post exact title good its already started. When I was growing up went to same two shoots every year. Churches where we hunted held shoots during deer season every year. The money they raised was put away and used to serve free breakfast on the day before opening day and free thanksgiving dinner. Last winter driving about five miles from the mils house saw a sign that said Turkey Shoot every Saturday 10 AM. BIL, the former Democrat who I took shooting last week who hasn't shot a gun in nearly 40 years now wants to go shoot Turkey shoots. Something he did as a kid. Only reason I bought an 870 express last week. Now he's all excited. Researching had no idea there were big money State and National Turkey Shoots. See there is another one in Athens.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2