serious consideration if you're involed in a self defense situation

Sam1

Thereafter Hall allegedly pointed his gun at the man who called 911 and then allegedly pointed at witnesses who were near Hale. 

The 911 caller said Hall actually tried to "fire at the witnesses but his gun apparently jammed."

Wow, sounds like the guy really freaked out after shooting someone.

Guest Bassman17SC

He did both right (by shooting the intruder) and wrong (by not holstering his handgun immediately after the threat was eliminated).  He compounded the problem by not following the lawful orders of the police.

He did both right (by shooting the intruder) and wrong (by not holstering his handgun immediately after the threat was eliminated).  He compounded the problem by not following the lawful orders of the police.

I think I would have waited to holster until LEO arrive, but then immediately comply with their requests.

Well, I have again ran scenarios of many different situations that could take place in and around my home. If I had to shoot an intruder in my home and had called the police that last thing I would want in my hand when they arrived would be my gun. My hands would be empty and in very plain site for the officers to see period. Now I have no clue if the guy panicked or what but it is clear he was not thinking clearly at all. That is what has always concerned me over the past years since more and more HCP's are being issued. I really wonder how many people could actually take a human life and still retain common since as to what comes next? I wonder how many armed citizens will hesitate when that time may come and end up getting killed. I know many HCP people are ex military and at one time or another have had to take a human life. I realize that is combat most folks think it's different. Folks, let me make on thing quite clear. When it comes time to act and take your first life it makes no difference if it is on a field of war or in your living room the feelings n your gut are no different. Either way you have just taken your first human life and you cannot prepare for those feelings. But with that said you have to remain focused immediately after it happens. Yea in most cases your first will possibly make you sick or send your mind racing about what comes next and what do I do now? Planning for it like I said is almost impossible but you will get through it if you remain focused. This man is dead because he went ballistic instead or focusing on what comes next. You need to constantly think about these scenarios over and over until you have trained your self to stay focused on that moment. It could be the difference between life and death for you just like the article written above.........jmho

Edited by bersaguy

As I have never shot anyone and do not want to.

If it is dark, someone breaks in and I have to take their life, well I hope it dont happen.

How would I know if that was the only one wanting to do me harm.

The police did not know he was a good guy, how would I know, lights in their eyes,

yelling and screaming, just a bad situation all the way around.

As I have never shot anyone and do not want to.

If it is dark, someone breaks in and I have to take their life, well I hope it dont happen.

How would I know if that was the only one wanting to do me harm.

The police did not know he was a good guy, how would I know, lights in their eyes,

yelling and screaming, just a bad situation all the way around.

You can be at least 95% positive if you shoot the first one and you are not confronted by a second one or more is just a few seconds threat is over and if you hear sirens it is time to go into stand down mode and be prepared for the police to make the next moves but make sure you are not a target standing there holding a gun. and make sure they can see your hands. They will announce they are coming in. also make sure your lighting is on so they have clear vision of everything and no surprises. I know it's a lot to think about but I try to think about it at least once a day what my plan would and should be..........

One of the things a person should always try to avoid is being the "man with the gun" when law enforcement are responding to a call; especially if they have been told that shots have already been fired.

Whether you (the good guy) called them yourself (which hopefully you did) or someone else called or you just assume they are on their way, you need to have your weapon holstered/down, etc. (once you know the threat is over of course) so that police don't arrive on the scene and see you holding a gun in a threatening manner. After all, the police almost certainly don't know at that point just who the good guys and the bad guys are!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here (hopefully, anyway) but sometimes these things need to be said and practiced so that they become automatic!  :)

• Like 1

I know a couple guys that have those pouches and they wear them sometimes not sometimes. Just depends on situation I guess. Have never discussed it with them. I have clear small credit card size holder that I can wear on a chain around my neck that holds my carry permit card perfectly and I wear it from time to time depending on if I am going to Nashville or staying close to home.