Shot my first idpa style stage today. wow.

I was up at MCSC, and the day was drawing to a close.  I decided to finish out the day in their tactical pistol range.  RSO asked me if I had ever shot there, I said "no.  He said, great, well, we have it set up in a basic 5,6,5 stage.  I laughed and let him know I had no idea what he was talking about.

Long story, short:  My first run through I dropped the mag in the second set with 3 rounds left in it (FTT - Failure To Think).  .. laughed about it, & reset - and had some great runs.  (3 "stations" with about 15 feet from one to the next)  

I did miss one on my fastest two runs, but I felt like I was going at a snail's pace.  I think 22 seconds w/ one miss was my best.  I would've gladly taken 35sec with no misses, but I couldn't slow down enough.

Anyway, the RSO scoring and timing me seemed to think that - since I hadn't shot in months, and since I was shooting a stock G23, and it seemed really easy for me, this might be something I could really enjoy.

I don't make enough money for this!  I am now hooked... we'll see where this ends up.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 1
Cool beans! It's a real hoot, huh? Totally different than just standing there shooting paper or bowling pins.

I shot an IDPA match last year, and was proud to be third from last place. ;-) I've been putting off doing it again because the closest place to me holding matches always has them on Sunday. I hate missing church. Anyways, shooting tgose stages really changed a lot about how I think about possible SD situations and how I think I would handle them. Great experience. I was happy to have had zero malfunctions with my reloads. I never had an issue before, but there were a couple others guys who had some real problems with theirs.... made me nervous!

Music City Tactical Shooters

Upcoming MATCH: IDPA Match 5 Stages - Saturday October 19th, 2013
Round count: 90 minimum rounds for pistol

Upcoming MATCH: IDPA Classifier - Saturday October 19th, 2013
Round count: 90 minimum rounds for pistol
*NOTE: This classifier is only for those needing classifier for the Music City Cup III

Peace.  What have you done?  What were you thinking?  I think I warned you.  There is no turning back now.  IDPA is like crack.  It's addictive.  Just wait till you try 3 gun.  It's even worse.  It's like meth but you get to keep your teeth.

Well, there's the bright side.  My wife will be thrilled that I get to keep my tooth.

:D

Yes, DB, you warned me....  though with the cost of ammo, I may have to start up an archery version using the recurve bow - maybe on horseback ('cause everyone knows horses are cheap).

I have already had to talk myself down from trying to qualify/enter the MCCiii.  - having never run any competition... ever.  I can methodically prepare for MCCiv.  Whenever I do get to jump in.  I'm looking forward to meeting you guys at the competition....    :cool:

• Like 1

I have already had to talk myself down from trying to qualify/enter the MCCiii.  - having never run any competition... ever.  I can methodically prepare for MCCiv.  Whenever I do get to jump in.  I'm looking forward to meeting you guys at the competition....    :cool:

No reason to talk yourself out of it.  Great day of shooting with lots of stages that day.  All you need is IDPA membership and the classifier on 10/19.  You will be set.  We will have a regular 5 stage match on the 10/19 also.  Don won the match in its first year but pulled a no show the next year.  Then he picked up 3 gun and never went back to defend his title in SSP.

• Like 1

Well, there's the bright side.  My wife will be thrilled that I get to keep my tooth.

:D

Yes, DB, you warned me....  though with the cost of ammo, I may have to start up an archery version using the recurve bow - maybe on horseback ('cause everyone knows horses are cheap).

buddy next time you decide to go let me know and I will join you I would like to try it out also

Yep! When that timer goes off the mouth goes dry and the heart starts pounding and you forget all the prior planning you had in your head :up:

IMO, IDPA is a good way to try and control your emotions and concentrate on the task at hand. It doesn't replace expensive tactical training and such but, I would think it wouldn't hurt if there ever comes a time when you need to clear leather in self defense.

BTW. They put on a great IDPA club match every 2nd Saturday of the month at 9:00 A.M. at the Henry County Gun Club in NW Tennessee if anyone's interested. It's a nice place, the matches are well run and you'll meet a lot of friendly gun nuts too.

Edited by Dennis1209

MCSC is outside of Clarksville.  It is laid back (everytime I've gone), RSOs are friendly, competent, and ...well, just right.  I've never been there when it was what I would call crowded, but it is a haul from Nashville.