*edit* Looking for some advice for wife's edc

hlb14

I love my shield but the pull is very hard, maybe to hard for most women.  I got my daughter a Ruger p-22 and it is one hellofa pistol.  I personally would not carry a 22lr but I also would not want to stop one.

I must have got a good one . A plain ole stock shield for my wife it's very easy , but maybe it's jest me but before I buy any gun I will have them pull out at least 3 and pick the one with the best trigger and fit and finish before I buy it . You may try the apex kit for it I hear that will make one real big diff in the trigger.

I must have got a good one . A plain ole stock shield for my wife it's very easy , but maybe it's jest me but before I buy any gun I will have them pull out at least 3 and pick the one with the best trigger and fit and finish before I buy it . You may try the apex kit for it I hear that will make one real big diff in the trigger.

It is the slide that is hard to pull/rack not the trigger.  After you field strip it, it has a hellofa pull to get it back together as well.

Edited by NRA

It is the slide that is hard to pull/rack not the trigger. After you field strip it, it has a hellofa pull to get it back together as well.

oh I understand now sorry misunderstood , my wife doesn't seem to have a prob with that part , I clean her guns for her . Far as racking the slide I tought her what I read on TGO on how to rack the slide that made a big diff for how she was doing it , and she has no prob racking the slide now, found this link off of TGO forums it worked well for her http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/ Edited by ted

O believe me, i'm not buying anything til she looks at me with a smile and says "this one!"

Most chics hate snubbies and magnums and for good reason they are explosive !

She has shot plenty of my guns and hated most of them :ugh:  but she settled on 

the 9MM as her gun of choice and now she owns a SR9c and a Nano and thats plenty to 

keep her occupied in the hobby and have solid protection ...

My wife's gun is a Model 36 LadySmith in 38spl. She does not carry so this is my nightstand gun by the bed. It is hard to beat the simple & reliable operation of a revolver especially for those who are not as experienced with guns. 

I have carried it a few times just to try it out, I traded for it about 6 years ago and it came with a nice Galco IWB holster. I think the main difference in this LadySmith model is the smaller grips. It is a nice looking revolver with blued finish and rosewood grips.

My daughter's gun is a Sig Mosquito 22. She is too young to carry but says she wants to get her HCP when old enough. We shopped around on her 14th birthday and she picked the Sig over all the other 22 pistols we looked at. I was leaning toward a Walther P22 but I let her make the decision. The Sig has been fun to shoot, it is a little finicky with ammo, seems to like cci mini mags with no problems.

I had an LCR in .38 a while back. Pretty good trigger out of the box, ok to shoot with .38spl, not so much fun with +p. If I went back to the platform, I would get one in .357 and have fun shooting .38

Not sure if the weight would be bothersome, but has she looked at an 2.25" SP101? It was my first EDC handgun.

I did some tuning on it to improve the trigger action, it's better than what it was...

Like the SP so much, I recently got a second one with 3" barrel which has been in the hands of Gemini Custom.

I had an LCR in .38 a while back. Pretty good trigger out of the box, ok to shoot with .38spl, not so much fun with +p. If I went back to the platform, I would get one in .357 and have fun shooting .38

Not sure if the weight would be bothersome, but has she looked at an 2.25" SP101? It was my first EDC handgun.

I did some tuning on it to improve the trigger action, it's better than what it was...

Like the SP so much, I recently got a second one with 3" barrel which has been in the hands of Gemini Custom.

My wife just went down this road.   She tried the sp and kind of likes it, but with magnums it was rough for her.  Then she tried the GP and the slightly larger grips tamed the magnums.  Its a little bigger, but not *that* much and you get an extra round.   We thought she would be shooting 38s in them but with the gp, she asked me to make her some mags to practice with as she liked the extra oomph.    She discovered that you can get a set of springs for both models to improve the DA trigger pull.  The gp, the DA pull was reasonable out of the box.  The Sp, it was too much, however that may just be pistol specific, out of the box new revolvers are all over the place on the action difficulty. 

Quasi related, the drop off of 38s in snubbies that were sighted in for mags is significant even at a few yards it can be over an inch off.  Just something to be aware of if you get a short barrel model. 

Just got back from meeting Ted at Charlie's range in spring hill and I can't thank him enough for his help and wisdom! You could tell he really likes helping people! My wife, son and I were able to try his Sig 238, a 9mm Shield and a M&Pc in both 9 and 40. My wife fell in love with the S&W Shield. Ted really helped her with her techniques and made it a real learning experience. I think its safe to say a wheelgun is not what she's looking for.

Just got back from meeting Ted at Charlie's range in spring hill and I can't thank him enough for his help and wisdom! You could tell he really likes helping people! My wife, son and I were able to try his Sig 238, a 9mm Shield and a M&Pc in both 9 and 40. My wife fell in love with the S&W Shield. Ted really helped her with her techniques and made it a real learning experience. I think its safe to say a wheelgun is not what she's looking for.

Props to Ted for lending his time, tools, and expertise. That's true community spirit. I highly recommend the S&W shield. My GF carried a LCP exclusively for several years. I picked up a Shield 9 for her a couple months back and she loves it. I believe it's the best CCW 9 for the money right now. No matter what your wife decides on, make sure she carries it. A .22 in the pocket is better than a .45 on the table.
Well, after spending the day holding and shooting several choices, we brought home a brand spankin new 9mm S&W Shield. Brought it home, cleaned and lubed it, and now she can't wait to go back to the range and run some rounds through it.

Well, after spending the day holding and shooting several choices, we brought home a brand spankin new 9mm S&W Shield. Brought it home, cleaned and lubed it, and now she can't wait to go back to the range and run some rounds through it.

some how I kinda figured your wife would go for that one , my wife loves hers now she wants the lazer for it . Congrats ,

some how I kinda figured your wife would go for that one , my wife loves hers now she wants the lazer for it . Congrats ,

thanks Ted, the process of helping her find her gun was alot of fun! Mrs hlb14 really learned alot about different guns, triggers and such. She hates the super long trigger pull of the Kahr CW9 we rented for example. And the best part... she finally understands the need for more than one gun :pleased:

managed to make it to Charlie's before he closed yesterday to run her first 50 rounds through her new gun. Mrs hlb14 was so excited! 50 rounds of Nato 124gn ran without a hitch. I did notice twice when she inserted a new mag the slide would not return all the way to battery (when the slide returns forward all the way??) other than that it put brass in a nice consistant circle :pleased:

• 3 weeks later...
Spent some more time at the range today with mrs hlb14. Ran 200 rounds of a combo of 115, 124 and 147 grain through the shield with only one fte from a 147gn round. Ran a few mags of s.d. rounds through it for the first time without a hiccup. You can tell the springs are really starting to loosen up. O, by the way she loves the gun!

still searching for a holster she likes... Edited by hlb14
You would have to come by the house I have 4 holsters your wife could try. this is one my wife likes for out of waistband http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-M-P-Shield-9mm-RH-or-LH-black-paddle-holster-/261325035237?pt=US_Holsters&hash=item3cd82f96e5 and this one for iWb http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-MP-Shield-iwb-RH-IWB-holster-/261325217945?pt=US_Holsters&hash=item3cd8326099 Edited by ted

My son in law wanted to start my daughter shooting and he thought a wheel gun would be best for her so went to the range and met me there. They rented a couple different  wheel guns in 38 and 32 and she didn't like either one so while son-in-law was gone up front to get something else I let her shoot 2 mags from my 380 Bersa Thunder. When son in law  came back into range my daughter looked at him and said I want one of these and she showed him my Bersa. They left the range that day with a  Bersa 380 Thunder in the duo tone model and a holster for it and box of ammo. She is attending a class now and I hope with in a month she will be able to qualify and get a carry permit. Wheel guns do have their place in the gun world for sure but they are not for everyone. I know guys right now that would never own a semi-auto and will only carry a wheel gun.......

My wife's EDC is a Thunder 380! I liked it so much, i went and bought the Combat model.