Oathkeepers going operational?

I think it is just in preparation for what is happening in other countries and in case it bleeds over into our country. In all honesty I thought the would have done this before now but maybe needed to wait till they had enough of the right kind of members. Folks like myself are to old to do an type of physical training but would do what I could to help.

It may be time to load up the van and go pick up Murdock, maybe there is a plan coming together.

This type of group has some positives going for them but they tend to also attract a fringe element that brings along some baggage.

I have not heard of this group before but I am sure it could not hurt to have an organized group of prepared veterans such as this one. 

Edited by McGarrett
Guest 6.8 AR

Looked like prudence to me. You know, when you use words like fringe, you play into the media narrative.

I didn't see anything threatening, just being prepared. If something ever did happen, and there was an FBI

informant in each group, there may be some converts in the group. Just depends on how the groups act.

They may actually surprise many.

You can never go wrong with positive networking, planning, and community building.

It's something the majority of us do on one level or another. It's a significant part of being prepared imho. 

The model presented by Oath Keeper's (of which I am a member) is a very useful tool. And learning from those adept in their specific areas of expertise is obviously a huge benefit.

• Like 3

Looked like prudence to me. You know, when you use words like fringe, you play into the media narrative.

I didn't see anything threatening, just being prepared. If something ever did happen, and there was an FBI

informant in each group, there may be some converts in the group. Just depends on how the groups act.

Upon reading my original post a second time I agree that using the word "fringe" may not have been the best choice of words. I meant nothing negative toward this group at all. I am glad to hear about them, their structure, board, and plan look solid from what I read on their website. I think they have a good idea going.

I very much believe in being prepared. I think it is very hard to be totally self sufficient, and whether it be community based groups or organized groups like this, people will need to band together to help each other. The skills and training that these veterans have would be very valuable.

I agree with you that it depends on how the group acts.

My A-team reference was just a joke, but they may very well have a plan coming together. 

It's really a complex subject when you consider the scenario that would have to take place which would lend itself to such an organization, which likely have members spread out distances which would require automobiles to conduct link up, to step in and fill the "force multiplier" role; especially when they have families of their own to worry about, along with property and resources they likely want to keep protected. Let's face it, the type of person who would be in such an organization has probably prepared himself so that he has the resources on hand to survive longer than most of the population. They aren't gonna want to leave that unprotected, along with their wife and children so they can go show grease monkeys and accountants how to plan and execute ambushes.

Then there is the consideration of legitimacy of such an organization. Chances are, even in a breakdown of society, many elements of local government would remain intact, to include law enforcement. Yeah, there'd be a lot of cops who would be more concerned with taking care of their families, but there would be a concerted effort to regain control, even if that is the government co-opting policing to neighborhood groups. Without some previously established influence with the local government, I don't see a bunch of guys in camouflage stepping in and being greeted with open arms. In fact, they might well be interpreted as a threat and hostile to local efforts to regain legitimate control and peace. Such a group may find itself the target of the local government and might not be very popular with the people they intend to support.

With all that in mind, I also consider that the current federal and state governments would look at such a group organizing itself in such a manner as an organization they would want to keep the pulse on. Not to say that such attention from the government should discourage upstanding citizens from forming such an organization. By all means, f*** the government; this country was fought for by militias of friends and neighbors. I'm just saying that the type of people with the skills to make this legitimate are also the type of people who don't fancy being on the "radical" radar for personal and professional reasons.

As far as the "fringe" comment goes, it is what it is. Yes, there are a whole lot of sane and thoughtful people who would encourage the existence of such an organization. I am one of them. But we also have to admit there are those who romanticize the concept of armed rebellion and have militantly extremist views of the government. They tend to be as logical as liberals, they just happen to exist on our end of the spectrum. Normal people, folks with the skills desired here, don't want to work with nutjobs. The problem with nutjobs is they don't know they're nutjobs and they tend to bring along more nutjobs. That attracts the kind of attention I mentioned in my first post. If an organization like this was to exist it would have to be managed by very locked on people and the vetting process would have to go thoroughly beyond a VFW membership. Kinda like the Freemasons. In fact, don't they already have the market on this cornered?

• Like 1

It's really a complex subject when you consider the scenario that would have to take place which would lend itself to such an organization, which likely have members spread out distances which would require automobiles to conduct link up, to step in and fill the "force multiplier" role; especially when they have families of their own to worry about, along with property and resources they likely want to keep protected. Let's face it, the type of person who would be in such an organization has probably prepared himself so that he has the resources on hand to survive longer than most of the population. They aren't gonna want to leave that unprotected, along with their wife and children so they can go show grease monkeys and accountants how to plan and execute ambushes.

Then there is the consideration of legitimacy of such an organization. Chances are, even in a breakdown of society, many elements of local government would remain intact, to include law enforcement. Yeah, there'd be a lot of cops who would be more concerned with taking care of their families, but there would be a concerted effort to regain control, even if that is the government co-opting policing to neighborhood groups. Without some previously established influence with the local government, I don't see a bunch of guys in camouflage stepping in and being greeted with open arms. In fact, they might well be interpreted as a threat and hostile to local efforts to regain legitimate control and peace. Such a group may find itself the target of the local government and might not be very popular with the people they intend to support.

With all that in mind, I also consider that the current federal and state governments would look at such a group organizing itself in such a manner as an organization they would want to keep the pulse on. Not to say that such attention from the government should discourage upstanding citizens from forming such an organization. By all means, f*** the government; this country was fought for by militias of friends and neighbors. I'm just saying that the type of people with the skills to make this legitimate are also the type of people who don't fancy being on the "radical" radar for personal and professional reasons.

As far as the "fringe" comment goes, it is what it is. Yes, there are a whole lot of sane and thoughtful people who would encourage the existence of such an organization. I am one of them. But we also have to admit there are those who romanticize the concept of armed rebellion and have militantly extremist views of the government. They tend to be as logical as liberals, they just happen to exist on our end of the spectrum. Normal people, folks with the skills desired here, don't want to work with nutjobs. The problem with nutjobs is they don't know they're nutjobs and they tend to bring along more nutjobs. That attracts the kind of attention I mentioned in my first post. If an organization like this was to exist it would have to be managed by very locked on people and the vetting process would have to go thoroughly beyond a VFW membership. Kinda like the Freemasons. In fact, don't they already have the market on this cornered?

Oath Keepers is not something that just happened yesterday. They have been around for quite sometime and have just been under the radar for most of their existence. They have just really made the national scene in the past month of so but I guess they made the decision it was time. They consist of many different people in many different back grounds but for the most part they are retired or former law enforcement and even many active law enforcement. They are also former military and many are still active military. here are doctors, lawyers, construction workers and most other types of employments in Oath Keepers. They are not a Ruby Ridge or Waco bunch but a well oiled well organized operation and have grown in numbers at a much faster rate recently and yea they were around in the Bush years to. Like I said they are not new and not a group of extremists. They are an organization of Constitutional Oath Keepers...........jmho 

• Like 1

Oath Keepers is not something that just happened yesterday. They have been around for quite sometime and have just been under the radar for most of their existence. They have just really made the national scene in the past month of so but I guess they made the decision it was time. They consist of many different people in many different back grounds but for the most part they are retired or former law enforcement and even many active law enforcement. They are also former military and many are still active military. here are doctors, lawyers, construction workers and most other types of employments in Oath Keepers. They are not a Ruby Ridge or Waco bunch but a well oiled well organized operation and have grown in numbers at a much faster rate recently and yea they were around in the Bush years to. Like I said they are not new and not a group of extremists. They are an organization of Constitutional Oath Keepers...........jmho

I'm familiar with Oath Keepers. What I'm referring to is the new directive they're pushing, who it will attract and what it will mean for folks who organize themselves into the detachments and auxiliary.

I'm familiar with Oath Keepers. What I'm referring to is the new directive they're pushing, who it will attract and what it will mean for folks who organize themselves into the detachments and auxiliary.

I think this is why they were formed in the first place. They began to see our Constitution being trampled on and not respected and use in the nature for which it was written for by the Fore Fathers and may have saw these days we are living in now coming. Knew that it was going to take a force in which to deal with it and now they have enough members to create what is needed to protect and preserve the Constitution. Like is said earlier, I am now to old to be a trained active front line person but I still have my wits about me and my past military training to rely on. I joined the Tennessee  Division several years back. I think it will attract two different elements. One that will stand up and defend the Constitution with the oath they have taken in the past or they take when they join now. The other element will be the Federal Government which I'm sure will probably try and list them as terrorists of some sort because of their name and what they stand for.........That part is jmho

I don't know. If we distance ourselves from everything, or most things we should be agreeing with, we have let down our country,

also. Nothing wrong with being a Boy Scout.

The local law and order thing is most important if something did happen. But we are being pushed against by a tyrannical

government that has no legitimate reason to be, other than petty politics, and clamoring to power. So much has gone downhill

so fast, during this so-called shutdown, that someone had better be doing something to protect their own hides because all

of this stuff, recently, did not have to happen, and it will probably keep in the direction it's headed now. Anyone out here in

the hinterlands causing this? I don't think so.

I think some of the groups that may be doing stuff, like Oathkeepers, can't be stopped, and maybe it shouldn't be.

People have been saying all the folks who have been warning of the breakdown of society, or other problems, have been crying

wolf, but I think the government has been doing it for much longer, and is now starting to show its hand.

Good and evil.