Looking for residential treatment center for troubled children (Middle Tennessee)

Guest Keal G Seo

I can't tell you a good one but I can tell you one to avoid. Anything administered by Charter is s***. Not even sure they are still in business. But on the off hand they are...avoid at all costs.

http://treatment.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?state=TN&spec=241

The first one that came to mind is near Ashland City on hyw 12 I think and I'm sorry I don't know it's name and don;t see it listed here.

A school counselor could be of service.

http://treatment.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?state=TN&spec=241

The first one that came to mind is near Ashland City on hyw 12 I think and I'm sorry I don't know it's name and don;t see it listed here.

A school counselor could be of service.

The one in Ashland City is called Cumberland Heights and it does have a very good track record for dealing with problematic children.

• Like 1
Careful with this.

If it is for sure a mental health issue, then have the kid checked for that as it can't be avoided.

If it is just a behavioral problem, do not let it go to mental health.

Seen too many people medicated that really didn't have MH issues. People without MH issues take MH drugs, do get crazy. And when the drugs don't work properly, the Dr's switch their meds around trying to find something that works and that makes the problem even worse.

I've even seen folks take MH drugs recreationally that had zero MH issues ever in their life and they became severely depressed and even suicidal after using.

It doesn't help my opinion on this since my best friends sister used MH drugs recreationally, got addicted to MH drugs like Xanax, etc., and went from a beautiful girl to a nut who was slashing her arms and body, even had stove top burner scares on her arms where she turned the stove-top burners on and burned herself. She ended up passing away in her sleep at 35 years old (I was never told the cause of death, but I can assume a cocktail of drugs and or suicide).

And.... My sister works in Mental Health, so I get all the inside stories.

So make sure it isn't just behavioral problems because MH drugs do not fix those issues, they make them worse IMHO.
  • Like 3

The one in Ashland City is called Cumberland Heights and it does have a very good track record for dealing with problematic children.

Thanks, that's the one. "Cumberland" keep picking my mind but I couldn't pry out the Heights.

Good luck TDR.

Edited by kieefer

Thank you for the information, guys. I've been doing a bunch of research over the weekend, and I have a few phone calls to make tomorrow. I've found myself in a very difficult and complicated situation, with an equally difficult and complicated decision to make.  Not sure I've been in a tougher spot.

Guest tommy62

I have worked in the SA and MH field for many years. I will be glad to offer some suggestions if you want to pm some more details. I understand your dilema, however I feel hearing horror stories will not benefit you in your search for help for the child. There are many factors to consider when choosing a facility for a child or adult. The age of the patient, substance use history, history of interventions, history of treatment episodes,history of harm to self or others, history of MH in the family of origin are all pertinent factors. Cumberland Heights is a good facility. You can go to SAMHSA.gov and search for facilities. Everyone has heard horror stories regarding MH treatment. As with any form of treatment there is always a chance of negative outcomes. Yes, MH meds will have to be adjusted or changed in some cases, but most patients that are compliant with mediactions will experience positive treatment outcomes. There are many evidence based practices that do not involve medications. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. I will keep you and your family members in my prayers.

You could check Youth Villages. Contact local juvenile courts and they could drop some names of their commonly used ones.

I know someone close to me who works there. They do good work. May be worth a call, is all I will suggest. Its a very personal matter.

I live in East TN and there is a facility like that right down the road from me here in Louisville, TN. Peninsula Village, http://www.villagebh.com/. We live out i the country and my road dead ends at the lake and that is where this place is located, it has been around for many years, at least 35 years that I know of.

I have not heard anything bad about them. I had a former employee who had went through treatment there for some problems he was going through. He had positive results afterward.

As the others have said school counselors or local juvenile departments might have referrals. Also a pastor or church youth leader may be able to refer you.

I know you are looking at Middle TN but this might be an option for you if you don't find anything closer to you. Thoughts and prayers go out for you and the child during this tough time you are going through.

Edited by McGarrett

Well, whatever you do, BEWARE of medications esp early on in the diagnose & evaluate phase of your efforts.   Pill pushing doctors LOVE to get their hands on a kid and at least 85% of the time, the meds are unnecessary and cause long term problems.   Meds are a last resort, IMHO  but many who work with kids will sedate them (or worse) and call it "good".  Hey look, now that he is stoned, he stopped being rowdy...  problem solved!

• Like 1