help with scum

Jonnin

Ugg.  I just got back from lunch with my mom and she tells me someone is trying to get a mortgage on her property, thankfully they called her for more info on it and she put a stop to that.   Now, we have our suspicions about who is doing it but no proof so I can't really track down the sucker (yet). 

My question is, what do I need to do to make sure no one has done ID theft or borrowed against her credit/property/etc somehow.   I sent her off to run a credit report ASAP, but I am not sure what the next step needs to be.   Maybe I will have to spring for one of those lifelock type services... ?  

I know a number of you have had to deal with crooked relatives and such and have some experience with this sort of thing.... 

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Guest TankerHC

I dont have a solution but have a question. Let me preface that I believe what your saying 10000%, no doubt someone has found a scam for everything. Seems like you cant buy a donut today without someone having found a way to scam you out of the flavor.

I have an idea on how, but can someone really get a mortgage on a property that someone else owns with all the hoops you need to jump through to buy property? Like surveyors, appraisers and the rest. That would be a huge scam and if your a victim Im sure there is more than you.

I dont have a solution but have a question. Let me preface that I believe what your saying 10000%, no doubt someone has found a scam for everything. Seems like you cant buy a donut today without someone having found a way to scam you out of the flavor.

I have an idea on how, but can someone really get a mortgage on a property that someone else owns with all the hoops you need to jump through to buy property? Like surveyors, appraisers and the rest. That would be a huge scam and if your a victim Im sure there is more than you.

It would be difficult to consummate a mortgage transaction of that sort.

However anyone can file a lien. it just doesn't mean it has any basis in reality.

I can't figure out how that would be to someone's advantage....?  Just a scam to get money then claim you don't own the property so the property owner has to pay it back?   Is that the scam?  Seems like it would be really difficult to pull that off given all the crap you've got to go through to get a mortgage these days...    :confused:

I can't figure out how that would be to someone's advantage....?  Just a scam to get money then claim you don't own the property so the property owner has to pay it back?   Is that the scam?  Seems like it would be really difficult to pull that off given all the crap you've got to go through to get a mortgage these days...    :confused:

Step 1, get money. Step 2, get drugs/ other worthless crap. Step 3, why cross your bridges?