Another safe question(s).

Bigiron

I use the Remington 365 Mini. Does the trick. Wanted to go with the Golden Rod, just unsure how the plug wire would hold up to a 400+ pound safe sitting on it over time. Only interior access for the wiring is through the bottom. And I keep everything wiped down for a little extra protection.

My Liberty Fat Boy came with and electrical outlet and I plugged my Golden Rod into it. In addition to keeping my weapons well maintained and oiled and in a conditioned environment, I use a couple of those desiccant bags you dehydrate in the oven and reuse. Also got one you plug into an electrical outlet for eight hours to recharge.

I sleep better at night knowing my investments are as well protected as I can make them :pleased:

my safe came with the electric plug build in, so all i have to do was add the golden rod.  for me it is the best way to go.  if you are looking for a new safe i would call parker's safe.  he is down the road from you.  you can get his phone number off the site here.  he will spend the time talking with you to help fit your safe needs.  good guy to deal with. 

I have the golden rod or equivalent, and a hygrometer to measure the humidity as well.  My safe came with an wire accessory hole in the back for both my installed extra lights, and golden rod.  My safe is on a hardwood floor, and we did use felt on the floor as a way to keep the safe from marking the floor when we scooted it into final position.  Then we simply trimmed the access felt away, and the safe footprint is still on the felt.  And most important, I have my safe bolted through the floor using 3/4 diameter case hardened bolts, the carriage head type, so someone from underneath the floor could not easily grip the bolts, plus one extra step, instead of using washers underneath the floor, I used a large steel plate, and then I tacked welded the bolts to the plate.  

• Like 1

my safe came with the electric plug build in, so all i have to do was add the golden rod. for me it is the best way to go. if you are looking for a new safe i would call parker's safe. he is down the road from you. you can get his phone number off the site here. he will spend the time talking with you to help fit your safe needs. good guy to deal with.

I second that. I got mine from Parkers, he gave me a great price on the safe and cut me a deal on delivery (to Chattanooga) / setup since I helped get it in the front door and in place so he wouldn't have to bring another guy to help.
  • Like 1

I've never used any type of moisture control in my safe. I don't even keep anything lubed any more than I would normally. I've never had an issue. I suspect the location of a safe would determine whether or not moisture control is necessary.

Absolutely. I have a high moisture/humidity situation. I've used a Goldenrod and Remington rechargeable desiccators in both safes for years. As I redo my room where guns, ammo, and tools are stored; I plan on bringing in a dehumidifier.

May be overkill, but after a flood you tend to get a little cautious.