Packing Heat?

Guest tnelson

Guest tnelson

Hi Guys,

Ok I am confused about something. When you get your Permit to carry; I thought that was to carry "concealed"

I've seen guys in Walmart and restaurants with their sidearms holstered on their side in plan view like the police.

You can legally do that?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

You can open carry in Tennessee. That means carrying it in plain view. In this state it is called a Handgun Carry Permit, not a concealed carry or concealed weapons permit, thus it does not have to be concealed.

Although it's not an actual law, it's some kind of unspoken rule that you open carry in Wal Mart. :D

Hi Guys,

Ok I am confused about something. When you get your Permit to carry; I thought that was to carry "concealed"

I've seen guys in Walmart and restaurants with their sidearms holstered on their side in plan view like the police.

You can legally do that?

Where did you take your HCP course? They should have explained all this to you. That's the problem with alot of these economy HCP classes or prior military service pistol qual HCP class exempt situations. Nothing personally meant towards the original poster because I'm glad he's asking the questions to educate himself where his HCP instructor failed him. This just proves the point I was making in another thread. Good job on educating yourself TNelson. There are lots of knowlegeable folks on this forum. Welcome to the group and hope to see you at the September meet-n-shoot.

Guest tnelson
Where did you take your HCP course? They should have explained all this to you. That's the problem with alot of these economy HCP classes or prior military service pistol qual HCP class exempt situations. Nothing personally meant towards the original poster because I'm glad he's asking the questions to educate himself where his HCP instructor failed him. This just proves the point I was making in another thread. Good job on educating yourself TNelson. There are lots of knowlegeable folks on this forum. Welcome to the group and hope to see you at the September meet-n-shoot.

Thanks Bnagashima; I truly did not mean to start a bash session. I do not have my HCP by any means. I was considering on obtaining it as I just purchased my first handgun a few days ago.

Yes I agree with hillbilly justice; open carrying is just asking for trouble.

I can think of certain situations I'd rather open carry to warn off "thugs" than to carry concealed.

I think I'd rather carry open in the line at Burger King; so they have an incentive to get my order correct. LOL

Guest tnelson
Mars, look at the little license symbol under his avatar. That says he has his HCP does it not?

My mistake.. I checked that in Error; I do not have my HCP yet.

Carrying open doesnt "scare off thugs." This has been debated probably more times than strickj changing his avatar.

Perhaps if you dont have a permit you should clear it off your profile... It wasnt there a few days ago.

Open carrying anywhere IMO is asking for trouble.

Dont mean to sound like an arse...but its raining outside, i have a cold, and this question has been asked a million times.

Guest macmonkey

I took the course at PRI and this certainly did not get covered. Really when you've only got 8 hours to learn the mechanics, laws, ethics and logistics of owning, carrying and using a weapon it's not surprising that some things will fall through the cracks.

I actually appreciate the 3 month waiting period because it has allowed me to spend a lot of time researching on my own. I've read about 5 books on C&C and probably know enough to teach my own class at this point. I encourage new gunners to do the same in their "off time".

Guest macmonkey
Carrying open doesnt "scare off thugs." This has been debated probably more times than strickj changing his avatar.

Perhaps if you dont have a permit you should clear it off your profile... It wasnt there a few days ago.

Dont mean to sound like an arse...but its raining outside, i have a cold, and this question has been asked a million times.

The issue is very debatable and I've heard of a few instances where open carry has saved a potential victim from harm. I'm reading a great book right now that highlights a barber shop in New Orleans that is the ONLY shop within this part of town that hasn't been robbed (over the past 15 years) and is attributed to the owners open-carry.

The owner has had numerous occasions where shady character has entered the shop with a gun in their pocket to simply turn around and walk out after seeing the owners pistol.

Personally i think that open carry opens you up to a lot of problems both tactically and with the sheeple but if you are trying to advertise "Don't F#$% with me" then it's a pretty easy way to send that message.

Guest tnelson

LOL I understand Sling; Yah it is icky outside. I hope you didn't drive your bike today.

I rarely go anywhere where I feel the need to carry a firearm. I go to work; and I go home. That's about it. I've been carrying around the house for the heck of it; Still excited about the new firearm I'm sure it is.

I was just curious.

I took the course at PRI and this certainly did not get covered. Really when you've only got 8 hours to learn the mechanics, laws, ethics and logistics of owning, carrying and using a weapon it's not surprising that some things will fall through the cracks.

I can't believe that they forgot to mention that you were taking an HCP course instead of a CCW course and what the difference was and that TN is a open or concealed carry state. Remind me not to send my wife or anyone there. TNelson, as I said before, there are lots of very knowlegeable guys on the forum to talk with and raise questions to and like the saying goes, the only bad question is the one you don't ask. Come out , meet, and take advantage of the shooting opportunity if you can make it down there. It's a great time and chance to drool and plan your next purchases. It's also a great chance to meet alot of these good folks on the forum.

The issue is very debatable and I've heard of a few instances where open carry has saved a potential victim from harm. I'm reading a great book right now that highlights a barber shop in New Orleans that is the ONLY shop within this part of town that hasn't been robbed (over the past 15 years) and is attributed to the owners open-carry.

The owner has had numerous occasions where shady character has entered the shop with a gun in their pocket to simply turn around and walk out after seeing the owners pistol.

Personally i think that open carry opens you up to a lot of problems both tactically and with the sheeple but if you are trying to advertise "Don't F#$% with me" then it's a pretty easy way to send that message.

I'm not touching that topic with a 20 foot pole.

Sling, send some rain to the East Please. It's so hot and dry here, my beagle was chasing a rabbit and they were both walking. Just a little humor to lighten the momment.

:bowrofl:

there are a lot of stories about people getting harrassed by the cops for having their weapon where everyone can see it...i always keep mine hidden!!!!

IMHO that's taking the easy way out.

Look folks..I respect Law enforcement officials. they do a tough job. but I don't care if you wear a badge or not. if I'm complying with the law and I'm harrassed, I'm gonna let someone know about it. believe me..the cop that did it won't like me after that...but the bottom line is that THEY are there to do a job for US. not to harass us. not to be "over us" nor to Herd us in any particular direction.

if a police officer likes his job..he'd best comply with the law, just like me..otherwise the city council will have his butt on the carpet asking him just why the heck they have a lawsuit on their hands and wtf was he thinking when he was doing what he did.

there ARE a majority of times where concealed carry is the best course, but if you're doing it to keep from being "hassled by cops" then I suggest you just go ahead and give that right away completely.

Most law enforcement officers I know won't get bent out of shape if you're carrying openly. they WILL be interested though...and I have NO problems complying with their directions...but I won't be intimidated, nor will I be pushed around by some dillhole with a badge because he "feels like it".

thankfully, that isn't the norm with most of the patrolmen I know.

Guest Todd@CIS
IMHO that's taking the easy way out.

Look folks..I respect Law enforcement officials. they do a tough job. but I don't care if you wear a badge or not. if I'm complying with the law and I'm harrassed, I'm gonna let someone know about it. believe me..the cop that did it won't like me after that...but the bottom line is that THEY are there to do a job for US. not to harass us. not to be "over us" nor to Herd us in any particular direction.

if a police officer likes his job..he'd best comply with the law, just like me..otherwise the city council will have his butt on the carpet asking him just why the heck they have a lawsuit on their hands and wtf was he thinking when he was doing what he did.

there ARE a majority of times where concealed carry is the best course, but if you're doing it to keep from being "hassled by cops" then I suggest you just go ahead and give that right away completely.

Most law enforcement officers I know won't get bent out of shape if you're carrying openly. they WILL be interested though...and I have NO problems complying with their directions...but I won't be intimidated, nor will I be pushed around by some dillhole with a badge because he "feels like it".

thankfully, that isn't the norm with most of the patrolmen I know.

+1

Really when you've only got 8 hours to learn the mechanics, laws, ethics and logistics of owning, carrying and using a weapon it's not surprising that some things will fall through the cracks.

Hmmmmmm.......who do I know that's been saying this for years ?

Oh, yeah....ME !

Edited by BigPoppa