Which Ruger 10/22 do I need?

analog_kidd

I am thinking about getting a 10/22 for plinking around with, but I also want to customize it, new stock and magazine mostly. Can I just get the cheapest one I can find and replace the stock? I found one locally for around $200 with a plastic stock. It's basically the plain Jane model.

Didn't know if there were certain models that are better for customizing, or if the guts were basically the same on all models.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about getting a 10/22 for plinking around with, but I also want to customize it, new stock and magazine mostly. Can I just get the cheapest one I can find and replace the stock? I found one locally for around $200 with a plastic stock. It's basically the plain Jane model.

Didn't know if there were certain models that are better for customizing, or if the guts were basically the same on all models.

you can buy the actions online for quite a bit cheaper.

if you want to work on a rifle and change it a piece at a time, you can get the 10/22's for about 180 bucks. with the wood stocks..the carbines I think.

You may want to look at this book: "Customize the Ruger 10/22 by House & House, 2006, Krause Pubs."

rimfirecentral.com has a huge section on 10/22s and just about anything else relating to .22's.

Another good source: http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/index.html

Prices range from around 189.00 for a basic carbine to on up to about 360.00 for a 10/22T. Wal Mart carries them and can order them so their price is hard to beat. I have purchased a couple through my local gun dealer.

Finding a good used one at a bargain price is tough these days.

Incidentally, if you are just plinking and having fun I found through a competitive shooter that Remington "Golden" 36 grain HPs work very good in 10/22s and give decent accuracy. Great thing is that you can buy these in bulk at Wal Mart. I have quite a collection of .22 ammo, including various match ammo, but the Remington Goldens are the ones I reach for now when it is fun time. They also work well in my .22 Glock conversion.

I'm working on my 3rd 10/22 and I have a friend who has half a dozen or more in various guises. I have barely scratched the surface on mods.

Craig in Clarksville

Sooner or later, I want to build one like this.

gfgghghqf3.jpg

Of course this is on a very long list of desired guns, and I really need to get my daughter a .22 before I worry about another one for me.

If you're looking for the cheapest route, as others have said, you can find a used model for fairly cheap. Sounds like you intend on keeping everything except the stock, so that would probably be your best bet. Just make sure that you won't/don't have intentions of going with a full custom job in the picture above. If you do decide to go that route, you may be better off with starting from scratch.

Good luck.

Don't waste your money on books....go to rimfirecentral.com They are THE answer for any 10/22 questions.

I would get a used one if possible simply because they have moved to painted barrels and plastic trigger guards in the past 6 or so months to current production. They are the '69 Chevy of the gun world...so there is no problem doing whatever you want to make it "yours"

Guest Wilson1

+1 for rimfirecentral.com - a vast wealth of great knowledge. Buy the very BASIC gun, USED if you can. Started out my two that way. Simple to work on and choices are indeed endless...

Mike

I got both of mine at gander mountain in bowling green whan i lived up there. the 10/22 is a very fun gun to mofidy and very easy to do also.

Its been a year or 2 since i modified these and i had a list of what was done but misplaced it.

the camo one just has an auto bolt release, extended mag release, buffer, bolt spring, the rails and scope and some other misc. mods. the black one is completely modified and i dont think i have any factory parts in it. i wish i had my specs but i dont.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg