Opinions on carry ammo for an XD-S

Opinions on my next carry ammo.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which ammo would you recommend most for an XD-S?

• Hornady® Pistol .45ACP+P 230 Grain JHP / XTP 20 rounds $15.59
    • Federal® Premium® Hydra - Shok® .45 Auto 230 Grain HSJHP 20 rounds $22.79
    • COR - BON® Pistol Self - Defense .45 ACP +P 230 Grain JHP 20 rounds $22.89

I just got my XD-S back from the recall this week and took it out to the range today to make sure nothing they did harmed its reliability. It ate up over 200 rounds including all but 2 mags of my SD ammo like a champ. So, it's time to get more.

Here are my 3 finalists:

Hornady® Pistol
* .45ACP+P
* 230 Grain JHP / XTP
* 20 rounds
* $16.79

Federal® Premium® Hydra - Shok®
* .45 Auto
* 230 Grain HSJHP
* 20 rounds
* $22.79

COR - BON® Pistol Self - Defense
* .45 ACP +P
* 230 Grain JHP
* 20 rounds
* $22.89

While I'm sure there are plenty of other good choices, these are the 3 brands I prefer to use in my semi autos and I'd rather stick with what I know. Plus, they're all in stock at SportsmansGuide.com and they they have free shipping this weekend.

I also know that there are some experts out there that suggest lighter bullets in short barrels, but lucky for me this is my gun, not theirs. I'm sticking with the tried and true 230 grain behemoths.

Which would you choose? Why? Edited by BigK

Cor-Bon is really good stuff.

Why, because I've shot it and not had a problem yet? (but I haven't with the other 2 either?)

And all the test I've seen done with it the FPS was right at or over the manufactures claims.

I've also shot Federal and Hornady. 

I'm a huge fan of most hornady ammo. But all the SD ammo I shot seemed weak compared to other.

My order would be:

Cor-Bon

Ferderal

Hornady

They will get the job done in the end. So honestly it really wouldn't matter to me.

• Like 1

I really like Hornaday but none of the choices offered are bad; I've used all three at one time or another with no problems.

I know you didn't ask but one thing that is important for any carry ammo is to use factory ammo of good quality that can be tested. One of the things that will happen if you are ever in a SD shooting is that they will (or you may want them to) test your ammo. Off-brand with inconsistent formulations, etc. can be a detriment to that process and that process can go a long way in helping you should you be charged with anything.

• Like 1

I use Federal HST's due to data supporting their greater efficacy over its predecessor, the Hydra-Shok (I don't remember the primary literature, as it has been a while) but it is a tested, reliable defense round.

I also use CCI/Speer Gold-dots. I haven't read the data on those, but it is what my local LEO's carry, so I figured if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. And I have purchased both brands for good prices and they run flawlessly in all of my handguns. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I do not have firsthand experience in using them against live targets.

Honestly, all of the major brands, as long as they feed properly in your weapon, and you have proper shot placement, will put a hurting on somebody.

I really like Hornaday but none of the choices offered are bad; I've used all three at one time or another with no problems.

I know you didn't ask but one thing that is important for any carry ammo is to use factory ammo of good quality that can be tested. One of the things that will happen if you are ever in a SD shooting is that they will (or you may want them to) test your ammo. Off-brand with inconsistent formulations, etc. can be a detriment to that process and that process can go a long way in helping you should you be charged with anything.

Good point and the very reason I am reluctant to reload my own SD ammo, despite having a full box of Hornady XTPs in 9mm and 45 acp.

...I also use CCI/Speer Gold-dots. I haven't read the data on those, but it is what my local LEO's carry, so I figured if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me...

Not sure if you're familiar with Massad Ayoob, but he's pretty well respected in the gun community as one of the leading experts on self-defense law. One of the more interesting things he suggests is to find out what your local LEO's carry and just go with that for the same reason you stated.

Not sure if you're familiar with Massad Ayoob, but he's pretty well respected in the gun community as one of the leading experts on self-defense law. One of the more interesting things he suggests is to find out what your local LEO's carry and just go with that for the same reason you stated.

True for load, caliber, and handgun. I had a defense attorney tell me he stands a great defense if he can tell a jury his client protects his family with the exact same handgun and ammo the police use to protect them.
  • Like 2
Hornady is a very consistent lower powered ammo that is designed not to expand as much as other modern JHP ammo. It falls in between FMJ and JHP and if you like that use it. I don't know of any larger LE agency that uses it. Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Corbon, Speer Gold Dot are all street proven and used by LE . The heavier bullet in a short barrel is supposed to give more dwell time for the powder to burn according to a Winchester reps letter to a member on another forum.

True for load, caliber, and handgun. I had a defense attorney tell me he stands a great defense if he can tell a jury his client protects his family with the exact same handgun and ammo the police use to protect them.

So what weapon and ammo would that be?

Hornady is a very consistent lower powered ammo that is designed not to expand as much as other modern JHP ammo. It falls in between FMJ and JHP and if you like that use it. I don't know of any larger LE agency that uses it. Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Corbon, Speer Gold Dot are all street proven and used by LE . The heavier bullet in a short barrel is supposed to give more dwell time for the powder to burn according to a Winchester reps letter to a member on another forum.

Hornady is not under powered, their +P .45acp runs 950fps just like everybody else, some of their stuff is hotter than most others. The XTP is a JHP intended for hunting although it performs exceptionally well on humans as well.