Non scientific test

Why couldn't you have just worn a shirt un-tucked?

He could have...he also could have chose to go out unarmed.

I don't think it really matters to the post how he came about OCing that day.

I think he was just trying to tell us about his experience and that in this case at least, OC wasn't the big deal that many think it is.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rugerman

I think he was just trying to tell us about his experience and that in this case at least, OC wasn't the big deal that many think it is.

+1

Why couldn't you have just worn a shirt un-tucked?
It was HOT, My Don Hume IWB doesn't have a side shield so I kept my T-shirt tucked in. I am a large guy so my gun depresses into my gut and that helps keep it out of view, but the draw back is without a shirt under it, the the safety tends to scratch the hell out of me.

BULLSEYE

People are making this topic WAY more complicated than it really is. :)

This is a forum for discussions.....and that is what we are having :P

Hope you are right. But if people start coming in with a gun and cursing the employees, I'm betting that a legal no guns sign goes up.

Exactly!!!

I have opened carry before and it was a conscious decicion on my part.

I am a fat guy, and I carry a Glock M30 in a Fobus Paddle holster on my strong side at 3 o'clock....and that is with one or two shirts on. Even in the summer when I wear a t-shirt, I still wear an undershirt (it helps to contain my volume), and when I carry the Bersa "Mexican Style" the dove tail does dig in me, but I just roll with the punches.

I am not busting balls or anything, just curious on why you "had" to Open Carry, and was wanting to learn the reasons just in case I want to and someone gives me sh*t about it.

:D

I am not busting balls or anything, just curious on why you "had" to Open Carry, and was wanting to learn the reasons just in case I want to and someone gives me sh*t about it.

:)

Where did you read he had to open carry?

He simply said his favorite cover shirt was dirty so he chose to OC.

Again I say how he came about OCing that day has nothing to do with what he was trying to get across in the post.

As for as reasons to OC see here.

Edited by Fallguy
I had a boatload of running around to do today, my favorite cover shirt was in need of a washing machine. So I said the hell with it and open carried which is something I am usually against but just wasn't in the mood to give a crap today. Guess what happened... Absolutely nothing.

I mean absolutely no Dis-Respect by this comment:koolaid:, but I enjoy it when I hear someone talking about their 1st OC experience. I really find it humorous to hear others take a huge breath as if to say, "Wow, I can't believe you did that! Your Crazy!!!!":p

I have been OC since day one and have never had any problems, ever....So if anyone who doesn't, wants to try, trust me, the world won't end, HCP laws won't be abolished and at the very least you do have the right to do it.

Where did you read he had to open carry? I didn't.

He simply said his favorite cover shirt was dirty so he chose to OC. Which is not a valid reason to open carry, just an excuse to see what would happen. Which is fine cause I open carry sometimes and Love It! (it makes me feel like Arnold)

Again I say how he came about OCing that day has nothing to do with what he was trying to get across in the post. Doesn't matter. His point was well noted, but in the process of the story I had a question come to mind, so i asked.....is that ok with everyone?

Where did you read he had to open carry? I didn't. But you asked why he "had" to open carry

He simply said his favorite cover shirt was dirty so he chose to OC. Which is not a valid reason to open carry, just an excuse to see what would happen. Which is fine cause I open carry sometimes and Love It! (it makes me feel like Arnold) Like you said it's fine...you don't need a reason to OC other than because it is legal and you want to.

Again I say how he came about OCing that day has nothing to do with what he was trying to get across in the post. Doesn't matter. His point was well noted, but in the process of the story I had a question come to mind, so i asked.....is that ok with everyone? Sure ask all the questions you like. I was just pointing out you asked why he "had" to when he never said he "had" to and that he already gave his reason whether valid or not to others

Folks, you are going to keep rationalizing reasons to OC until the state changes the law back to concealed carry only.

The reason for the change from CC only to OC allowed was to prevent permit carriers from getting into trouble with LE that didn't like citizen carry. The idea was to keep us out of legal trouble if we inadvertently flashed our handgun.

Laws can change, and I'm betting that the way some people are acting, that first, legal no carry signs will go up and then the law will change back to CC only.

Incidents around here with legal carriers are why just about all banks now have either legally binding no carry signs or the non-binding Ghostbusters one. We are going backward on carry issues and the reason is permit holders who just don't use any common sense.

Mars I simply and respectfully disagree.

However I do agree no post is going to change anyone's mind on the issue, sort of like politics and religion.

I think the OP was simply trying to tell his story of what happened...or rather didn't happen, without starting the whole OC vs CC debate again. But seems that you can not mention OC at all without starting the debate all over again. :D

Mars I simply and respectfully disagree.

I think the OP was simply trying to tell his story of what happened...or rather didn't happen

I agree, but think it had a point - that nothing happened.

I'm suggesting that the jury is still out on that one. When someone comes into an establishment with a gun on their side and curses the employees, there probably is a great deal that is happening behind the scenes. It may not be obvious yet, but it is almost certainly happening. I've served on boards, public and private. Boards always have a good conduit to lawmakers and lawmakers do listen.

A number of guys here think it is OK to push the limits because they are "legal". How about being "smart" instead? Legal can change in an eye blink. I'm for smart carry.

Enough of this sort of nonsense and legal will change. You can count on it.

We've gone through the wisdom, or lack of it, for OC before, I have nothing to add. But being angry and cursing private employees while OCing is not good for any of us. I'll leave it at that except to say that if OCers continue to piss into the wind, all of us will eventually get wet and only get to legally CC. As I said, you can count on it.

Edited by Marswolf
We've gone through the wisdom, or lack of it, for OC before, I have nothing to add. But being angry and cursing private employees while OCing is not good for any of us. I'll leave it at that except to say that if OCers continue to piss into the wind, all of us will eventually get wet and only get to legally CC. As I said, you can count on it.

I do agree with that. I admit I was speaking more to OC in general. I will also agree that if a business has a trouble with an armed individual (regardless if the trouble has to do with being armed) it is very possible that business could ban carry on it's premises.

Guest unreconstructed1
Folks, you are going to keep rationalizing reasons to OC until the state changes the law back to concealed carry only.

The reason for the change from CC only to OC allowed was to prevent permit carriers from getting into trouble with LE that didn't like citizen carry. The idea was to keep us out of legal trouble if we inadvertently flashed our handgun.

Laws can change, and I'm betting that the way some people are acting, that first, legal no carry signs will go up and then the law will change back to CC only.

Incidents around here with legal carriers are why just about all banks now have either legally binding no carry signs or the non-binding Ghostbusters one. We are going backward on carry issues and the reason is permit holders who just don't use any common sense.

so you are suggesting that we don't excersice our rights in fear of someone taking them away?

when my permit comes, I'll be OCing :drunk:

I'll be OCing a Hi point :D

I'll be OCing a hi point with one in the chamber:eek:

and I'll probably from time to time carry a phoenix in an ankle holster to boot:tinfoil:

does that mean that I'm going to singlehandedly make the Tennessee legislature decide to go to CC only? nope, the inaction of tennessee gun owners to fight for their rights, and to excersice those rights will be to blame.

using your logic, maybe we shouldn't even carry a gun, because if too many people begin to do so, they may go back to a no permit state.

just remember, If you ignore your rights, they'll go away.

when my permit comes, I'll be OCing :drunk:

I'll be OCing a Hi point :D

and I'll probably from time to time carry a phoenix in an ankle holster to boot:tinfoil:

They probably won't worry about you since there is so little chance of either of those firearms actually discharging.

:up:

so you are suggesting that we don't excersice our rights in fear of someone taking them away?

when my permit comes, I'll be OCing :)

I'll be OCing a Hi point :rofl:

............When someone comes into an establishment with a gun on their side and curses the employees, there probably is a great deal that is happening behind the scenes. It may not be obvious yet, but it is almost certainly happening. I've served on boards, public and private. Boards always have a good conduit to lawmakers and lawmakers do listen.

A number of guys here think it is OK to push the limits because they are "legal". How about being "smart" instead? Legal can change in an eye blink. I'm for smart carry.

Enough of this sort of nonsense and legal will change. You can count on it.

I do agree with that. I admit I was speaking more to OC in general. I will also agree that if a business has a trouble with an armed individual (regardless if the trouble has to do with being armed) it is very possible that business could ban carry on it's premises.

The way I see it, no one is saying "Do not OC, period."

However, if you do choose to OC, do it responsibly and be smart. Going into any establishment while OC'ing and getting into an argument and cursing the employees is NOT smart, and it certainly shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. Marswolf is right on the money with this one.

Guest GUTTERbOY
They probably won't worry about you since there is so little chance of either of those firearms actually discharging.

I just barely managed to not laugh out loud here in the office. Barely.

:rofl:

Remember Ellie Nessler? She's the woman who snuck a Raven .25 in a California courtroom and pumped 5 rounds in the head of the perp who killed her son many years ago. What amazed me was the fact she was able to fire off the whole mag without it jamming. :rofl:

I like the open carry law here. I don't open carry but it's good to know that if the wind blows my long shirt and exposes my handgun I wont be arrested for it but it's simply my opinion that there are a few thugs out there that are just brazen enough, if they see that nice Kimber or Glock on your side they may want it bad enough to ambush you with a hammer, pipe etc. to get it. To them it's just as good as waving a stack of $100 bills around. Unless you are always 100% aware of your surroundings and who's behind you, a thug with an Eastwing 2' behind you has the advantage over a .45 in your holster.