most of a Webley

I guess this is where my post belongs?  I have what I believe is most of a Webley pistol, from my grandfather.  Figured you guys might like to see some pic's.   The scrolling and decorative finish is interesting to me.  I kind of wonder what it would take to get the gun put back into operational condition.  If even just for a safe queen.  

It looks to me like that's what was happening as the screws I found with the gun aren't long enough to hold the trigger guard on, but they do fit the holes tapped in the gun.  I think the thin metal piece I have shown also goes with the gun, but those are all the pieces I've been able to find.

6zfw.jpgb3tn.jpgsh0a.jpgqvmu.jpg5fcq.jpgqk6c.jpgcz3x.jpg

Edited by thesquirrel

Welcome to TGO.  Would like to see some pictures of your Webley.  If you are not familiar with how to post pictures you need to use a hosting site such as Photobucket.com use the "direct link" after uploading to photobucket.  Paste that link into your post under the "image" button, which is just below the happy face icon in the reply box, hope that isn't too complicated.  

Looks neat for sure! It is an old Pinfire revolver. Designs similar to this are, iirc, referred to as Lefaucheaux revolvers - attributed to the designer and his son. The design was used by many different manufacturers of the time.

That long thin piece of metal appears to be the mainspring. It would fit in the open area of the frame/grip.

Your revolver also appears to be missing the its loading gate and ejector.

I'd find someone much more familiar with these than myself and have them look at it.

Original pinfire ammunition is collectible, if you come across some, don't try to shoot it - the primer compounds are most certainly degraded. There are methods for reloading new cases - be aware it's tedious and not the safest ammunition. Loose ammo could potentially detonate as the pin is what strikes the primer and can be conveniently found sticking out the side of the cartridge waiting on just the right bump.

Parts may be hard to come by, and you'll almost certainly need them hand fit and then tuned to work properly. Once you've got it where you want it - build a display box and enjoy as a neat heirloom piece.

Welcome to TGO.  Would like to see some pictures of your Webley.  If you are not familiar with how to post pictures you need to use a hosting site such as Photobucket.com use the "direct link" after uploading to photobucket.  Paste that link into your post under the "image" button, which is just below the happy face icon in the reply box, hope that isn't too complicated.  

Thank you!  I'll take all the help I can get.

Looks neat for sure! It is an old Pinfire revolver. Designs similar to this are, iirc, referred to as Lefaucheaux revolvers - attributed to the designer and his son. The design was used by many different manufacturers of the time.

That long thin piece of metal appears to be the mainspring. It would fit in the open area of the frame/grip.

Your revolver also appears to be missing the its loading gate and ejector.

I'd find someone much more familiar with these than myself and have them look at it.

Original pinfire ammunition is collectible, if you come across some, don't try to shoot it - the primer compounds are most certainly degraded. There are methods for reloading new cases - be aware it's tedious and not the safest ammunition. Loose ammo could potentially detonate as the pin is what strikes the primer and can be conveniently found sticking out the side of the cartridge waiting on just the right bump.

Parts may be hard to come by, and you'll almost certainly need them hand fit and then tuned to work properly. Once you've got it where you want it - build a display box and enjoy as a neat heirloom piece.

so I'm needing a loading gate and ejector.   ok. I'll keep a look out for some ammo.  Need some for display at the least.  

so I'm needing a loading gate and ejector. ok. I'll keep a look out for some ammo. Need some for display at the least.

I've seen them. They usually run $20 per round....and up. Pin fire cannot be reloaded by the normal human being, if at all. You should try to find the main visual pcs that are missing, build a nice velvet lined shadow box and hang that sucker on the wall of your man cave.

Ever hearing it go bang is pretty much a pipe dream......and a heart breaker. That pistol was made by people who cared not for the money but the craft. Something that is all but dead these days. Edited by Caster

Pinfire reloading ... heh... as Caster said... not for a normal human being! I also agree with this: find the other visual pieces and build a nice display box. With an ejector installed, you could turn the gun loading gate down in the box and the missing pc would be hidden from view.

As far as finding parts, you're going to have a difficult time, and just as hard a time finding someone to work on it.

My first inclination is to give the fellas at Dixie Gun Works a call - they might have an idea. They even have a few up for sale on their website.

Guest TankerHC

Have seen a lot of Webleys. Back in the 70's even bought one at the Greenbelt Armory Gun Show in MD for $5. Aint never seen one like that! All but one of the Webleys like that I have seen are .455. There was a guy last year owns a shop going towards Biloxi that had one in .45 ACP. Was asking to much for it.

I would be interested in knowing who did the engraving. 

Edited by TankerHC

That is NOT a Webley.

I would not try to restore it in any way. Collectors are wanting the original patina so when someone cleans up an antique it can destroy all its value.

To give you an idea of how bad it can affect value I will tell you this. I watched a guy walk into a show with a very old and very rare Colt Single Action. In its original finish it was worth $3,000-$5,000, maybe even more but because he took a wire wheel to it the day of the show it turned it into a $500 shooter. He said he was trying to get the brown rust coloring off. It didn't appear to have any pitting and the grips were in nice shape other than where the wire wheel hit them.

Using the incorrect screw driver can affect the value as well. A utility screw driver has a blade like a wedge that does not stay in the slot when force is applied. This will cause the screw slots to be stripped out. A correct screw driver is square so there is very little chance of it slipping out of the slot.

Did you drift the front sight out? If so you are lucky the blade did not break off. The two parts are soldered together and the solder become brittle over time.

Not trying to beat you up, just don't want you to ruin any value it might have.

• Like 1

They repaired and assembled an old pin fire revolver in an episode of Sons of Guns and I believe it was in the 2nd season. My suggestion is similar to others here, Search Through the 2nd Season of Sons of Guns and find the episode with the pin fire revolver, watch them work on it, track down cases, reload them and fire it and then look up in the case that your's is in and smile because you've seen one do it's thing. In my opinion, all the fun that could come from shooting it would be swallowed up by the unusually high chance of something between building the ammo and shooting it going horribly wrong. Very nice piece by the way and one that anyone should be proud to own. Welcome aboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys thanks all for the comments here.  I'm new to firearms in general and learning so this is all good info.  I'll try and respond to some comments here.

I was told it was a 7mm pin fire.  Haven't' measure the diameter of the cylinder yet.

I was also told it was a Webley, but apparently it's not.  What do you think it might me Dolomite?

I have not cleaned it at all, and understand it's bet not to do too much rubbing on the antique.  I would like to either get it in display condition, or move it along to someone that want it as a project.  I just don't like it sitting here in the current state.  Just that way about things.  I either want them looking proper, or not to look at them.   The front site was already out.  I'm not sure how it fits in there because it's not dove-tailed.  Solder I guess like you said Dolomite?  I'd definitely want to get some help putting that back in I think.  Unless it's just that simple.  I have solder.

TankerHC, I don't know who did the engraving, but I'm guessing by everyone's comments here that this was not factory.  It does look like good work to me.  The symmetry kept on both sides is art for sure.

I am going to chat with the Dixie Gun works guys and see what they have to say about it.  I'll keep you guys up to date.  Trying to take Caster's advice here and get the thing "rebuilt" if it doesn't look like it will turn into an expensive project.