Road Rage - what would you have done?

Guest sargekw

No. The OP stated he saw the car coming at a high rate of speed before pulling into the left lane. Either wait until they pass or make a modest effort to expedite passing the slower car.

Define "modest effort". Subjectivity is our enemy here. I'm trying to ascertain as to whether or not passing someone at 75 when they're doing 70 and someone comes up behind me doing 80 is illegal or not.

Edited by daddyo

They obviously haven't had a 120 pound tire with 100+ PSI and spinning at 70 MPH blow out next to their window. God forbid it be a steer tire.

Of all the things I encounter as a truck driver, this is probably the most aggravating. Not only is it extremely unsafe for someone in a small vehicle to ride alongside a semi, it leaves the truck driver one less escape route, in the event we need to make a sudden lane change for any number of reasons.

Been there, crapped my pants when it happened. Sounded like a cannon shot right next to the car. I'm thankful it was the inside dual tire and it didn't immediately disintegrate.

Define "modest effort". Subjectivity is our enemy here. I'm trying to ascertain as to whether or not passing someone at 75 when they're doing 70 and someone comes up behind me doing 80 is illegal or not.

Everyone going faster than the speed limit is doing something illegal, that's not my point. If you see a faster car coming up and pull in front of them anyway, it seems common courtesy to speed up and not hinder their progress. If that means accelerating up to 78 or 80 for 10 seconds to complete the pass, fine.

Reverse the situation.... You're cruising along in the right lane at 70. The guy leading a line of traffic in the left lane passes you, moves to the right lane, and slows to 65. Now you're stuck behind him and have to slow down. Annoying, right? Same thing.

Everyone going faster than the speed limit is doing something illegal, that's not my point. If you see a faster car coming up and pull in front of them anyway, it seems common courtesy to speed up and not hinder their progress. If that means accelerating up to 78 or 80 for 10 seconds to complete the pass, fine.

Reverse the situation.... You're cruising along in the right lane at 70. The guy leading a line of traffic in the left lane passes you, moves to the right lane, and slows to 65. Now you're stuck behind him and have to slow down. Annoying, right? Same thing.

Why should I worry about hindering someone else's progress? That's what I stated earlier - I'm not on the road for someone else's convenience.

The same logic would dictate that I let someone cut in front of me when standing in a line, just because they think their time is more important than mine. But if they're courteous about it, and have a legitimate reason for needing to go ahead of me, then I have no problem letting them ahead of me. Likewise, someone who is traveling faster than I am, but maintains a safe distance behind me while I'm passing someone else and doesn't try to run over me is much more likely to get consideration and courtesy. I'll get around faster and get over more quickly if the person behind me is courteous and doesn't have the attitude that he owns the road and that I have no right to be there.

And no, someone passing me, then pulling in front of me and slowing down is not the same thing at all as someone passing at a safe speed with someone trying to drive up his tailpipe.

Edited by daddyo
If you've pulled into the left lane knowing a faster car is coming, make no effort to minimize your time in the left lane, and intentionally impede their progress (by tapping brake lights, etc.) then you're the one who started the obnoxious behavior and it's game on.

If you've pulled into the left lane knowing a faster car is coming, make no effort to minimize your time in the left lane, and intentionally impede their progress (by tapping brake lights, etc.) then you're the one who started the obnoxious behavior and it's game on.

I don't tap my brakes, nor anything else to intentionally aggravate the driver eating my bumper.

If he's that impatient, tough toenails. It's not my fault his parents didn't teach him courtesy or patience.

Why do they have to show courtesy . When you obviously seen them approaching at a higher rate of speed that yourself. Why not show them some courtesy and GTFO of their way. It goes both ways.

They don't. But if they don't, neither do I. It's a tough world.

While we're at it, all you guys educate everybody else that the on ramp to the interstate is called the "acceleration lane" whereby you accelerate to speed and merge in.  You do not putt down the ramp at 35 mph and stop at the end and look at everybody else as if they are the moron.

Yep....very few people merge (or know how to) properly.

I just did the holiday drive on 75/24 the day following thanksgiving. People are nuts. I wasn't in any particular hurry, especially since there were so many people on the road so no one was getting anywhere at a speed of their choosing, so I spent the majority of my time in the right lane unless I was getting around semis. In the right lane with a good mile of impassable traffic in front of me there were still an unlimited number of aholes who rode a foot off my bumper on the way back. There are no words to describe how angry that makes me when I have my kids in the car. All it takes if for me to have to react to a road hazard and brake, then get clipped by the idiot behind me and get sent hurling into traffic uncontrollably.

Tailgaters are the worst, most inconsiderate scum of the road and the primary reason road rage exists. I can attest that I'd be more than happy to smash their face in on the side of the road. God help them if any of my babies suffer injuries from their idiot driving.
  • Like 1

I'd say a 5mph difference is sufficient. I don't mind what speed anyone is doing in the passing lane as long as they're actually passing (and pull over when done). If it takes a mile for you to pass a vehicle, you're not passing. Even worse is the ones who almost get there and then slow down and start dropping back. What is going through these peoples minds?

Note that these slow passers are also the assholes who will box you in at 70 and run you right up to that semi in front of you doing 60. You can't drop back because there are people behind you and even if you could, there are probably people behind *them*. Your options become 60 or 80.

We all have a right to be on the road (min speed 40 on interstates though I'd say if you're going that slow, you're also doing something wrong) but we also have an obligation to allow the smooth flow of traffic. If there's twenty cars lined up behind you and a mile of open road in front of you, again, you're doing it wrong.

As for pulling out in front of me into the passing lane, It depends. If I can decelerate easily to their speed just by letting off on the gas, it's probably good. If I have to brake to match their speed, not so much.

Edited by tnguy

Maybe you can direct me to the appropriate section of the TCA. I've looked in Section 55 and cannot find anything about this being illegal.

The Uniform Vehicle Code applies in all states; that code holds that a vehicle MUST move over if it's traveling slower than normal traffic (and if you have a line of cars behind you waiting to get by you ARE driving slower than normal traffic...your particular speed under, over or at the posted speed limit is immaterial in determining "normal traffic").

Most states, such as Tennessee, has made a similar statue part of its revised code (see Tennessee CodeAnnotated section 55-8-154(a) (2004), impeding traffic statute). Further, there are other states that have gone further and passed specific "passing lane" laws such as our neighbor to the north, Kentucky.

You can be stopped and you can be ticketed in Tennessee (and every other state) for sitting in the passing lane and holding up other traffic by doing so.

Some people seem to think it's their personal responsibility to "slow down speeders"...some are simply oblivious to what is going on around them...some are just old and don't care while some, hopefully not many, are just assholes who like to screw with other people and get their jollies from doing so. Regardless of why they do it, when drivers sit in the passing lane or pass very slowly and impede other traffic, they are setting themselves up for what could become a violent confrontation.  Again, just my opinion, but as citizens who have chosen to carry a firearm, I believe we have a duty...an obligation to avoid such things.

Every situation is unique of course but in general, it is illegal (and in my opinion, stupid) to be in the passing lane on a mufti-lane highway and not passing traffic to your right quickly enough so as not to impede the traffic behind you.
Edited by RobertNashville

I'd say a 5mph difference is sufficient. I don't mind what speed anyone is doing in the passing lane as long as they're actually passing (and pull over when done). If it takes a mile for you to pass a vehicle, you're not passing. Even worse is the ones who almost get there and then slow down and start dropping back. What is going through these peoples minds?

We all have a right to be on the road (min speed 40 on interstates though I'd say if you're going that slow, you're also doing something wrong) but we also have an obligation to allow the smooth flow of traffic. If there's twenty cars lined up behind you and a mile of open road in front of you, again, you're doing it wrong.

As for pulling out in front of me into the passing lane, It depends. If I can decelerate easily to their speed just by letting off on the gas, it's probably good. If I have to brake to match their speed, not so much.

What you're describing is your personal preference. How did you arrive at 5 mph difference? Why not 4? Driving one mile at 70 or 75 takes about 50 seconds. Is your time so important that one minute or less is going to make such a huge difference?

If I'm passing someone at a reasonable speed, and I have three or four cars behind me playing Death Race 2000, they're the ones who are doing it wrong.

I really don't understand the attitude that if you don't get out of my way when I want you to, just because I want to drive as fast as I want, you're being a jerk.  :squint:

• Like 2

[size=4]The Uniform Vehicle Code applies in all states; that code holds that a vehicle MUST move over if it's traveling slower than normal traffic ...

So if I'm passing a semi that's doing 68 mph and I'm going 72 mph, and someone comes up on my bumper at 80 mph I must either immediately get into the right lane and collide with the semi, speed up to 80 mph (breaking the law and risking a fine) or slow down to 65 mph, thus restricting travel further for those in the left lane so that I can get out of the left lane and get behind the semi?

Are any of those options more sensible than the guy behind me justing effing waiting until I'm done passing the semi and then I get over?

What you're describing is your personal preference. How did you arrive at 5 mph difference?

From your post. 75-70=5. Other speeds may also be acceptable but I was replying directly to you.

From direct observation, I would say that 2mph was too slow. That's below walking speed. It's not unusual to see cars that would be able to have a quick hand of bridge with the driver of the vehicle they're passing also.

If I am travelling 2mph or less faster than the car in front, I will typically slow down to their speed. If/when I decide to overtake (typically because they drop their speed either because they run into slower traffic or just because some people just have really bad speed control), I will bump my speed up to pass them smoothly and safely. Not particularly because of other traffic in the passing lane but just because hanging out next to other vehicles is a dangerous and unsafe place to be (and in the case of those poor speed control people, they will usually see me passing, suddenly notice their speed has dropped and add a little more gas themselves). Edited by tnguy

What you're describing is your personal preference. How did you arrive at 5 mph difference? Why not 4? Driving one mile at 70 or 75 takes about 50 seconds. Is your time so important that one minute or less is going to make such a huge difference?

If I'm passing someone at a reasonable speed, and I have three or four cars behind me playing Death Race 2000, they're the ones who are doing it wrong.

I really don't understand the attitude that if you don't get out of my way when I want you to, just because I want to drive as fast as I want, you're being a jerk.  :squint:

Because the world only revolves around aholes.
  • Like 2

The Uniform Vehicle Code applies in all states; that code holds that a vehicle MUST move over if it's traveling slower than normal traffic (and if you have a line of cars behind you waiting to get by you ARE driving slower than normal traffic...your particular speed under, over or at the posted speed limit is immaterial in determining "normal traffic").

Most states, such as Tennessee, has made a similar statue part of its revised code (see Tennessee CodeAnnotated section 55-8-154(a) (2004), impeding traffic statute). Further, there are other states that have gone further and passed specific "passing lane" laws such as our neighbor to the north, Kentucky.

You can be stopped and you can be ticketed in Tennessee (and every other state) for sitting in the passing lane and holding up other traffic by doing so.

Some people seem to think it's their personal responsibility to "slow down speeders"...some are simply oblivious to what is going on around them...some are just old and don't care while some, hopefully not many, are just assholes who like to screw with other people and get their jollies from doing so. Regardless of why they do it, when drivers sit in the passing lane or pass very slowly and impede other traffic, they are setting themselves up for what could become a violent confrontation.  Again, just my opinion, but as citizens who have chosen to carry a firearm, I believe we have a duty...an obligation to avoid such things.

Every situation is unique of course but in general, it is illegal (and in my opinion, stupid) to be in the passing lane on a mufti-lane highway and not passing traffic to your right quickly enough so as not to impede the traffic behind you.

"Quickly enough" for who? If I am driving 70 passing someone doing 65, and someone is on my tail, they are violating 55-8-124 and creating an unsafe traffic condition, not the other way around.

From your post. 75-70=5. Other speeds may also be acceptable but I was replying directly to you.

From direct observation, I would say that 2mph was too slow. That's below walking speed. It's not unusual to see cars that would be able to have a quick hand of bridge with the driver of the vehicle they're passing also.

The 5 mph difference in my post is arbitrary and just for illustrative purposes, so I can only conclude that yours is too.

Edited by daddyo

The 5 mph difference in my post is arbitrary and just for illustrative purposes, so I can only conclude that yours is too.

Sure. But you used solid numbers. Perhaps you could reformulate the query?

If I get what you're asking though, I'd probably respond that people should avoid maneuvers that cause other to have to swerve or adjust their speed drastically, avoid obstructing traffic and avoid putting others in danger by following too closely. Edited by tnguy

So if I'm passing a semi that's doing 68 mph and I'm going 72 mph, and someone comes up on my bumper at 80 mph I must either immediately get into the right lane and collide with the semi, speed up to 80 mph (breaking the law and risking a fine) or slow down to 65 mph, thus restricting travel further for those in the left lane so that I can get out of the left lane and get behind the semi?

Are any of those options more sensible than the guy behind me justing effing waiting until I'm done passing the semi and then I get over?

My post didn't suggest any actions such as your statements above. I answered a question directed to me...your embellishment of my answer with "what-ifs" seems to be more for your own self-aggrandizement than a desire for discussion.

"Quickly enough" for who? If I am driving 70 passing someone doing 65, and someone is on my tail, they are violating 55-8-124 and creating an unsafe traffic condition, not the other way around.

As I said, quickly enough so as not to impede traffic; what isn't clear to you about that statement? If vehicles are backing up behind you then you are impeding traffic; I don't know how that could be any more clear.

There isn't anything to be gained in arguing about MPHs with you since the statute doesn't even mention MPH. 

My post didn't suggest any actions such as your statements above. I answered a question directed to me...your embellishment of my answer seems to be more for your own self-aggrandizement than a desire for discussion.

Huh? You said that someone who is going slower than others "MUST" move over, and the post you were responding to was referencing passing another vehicle. You capitalized the word and everything. Putting such a stress on such a word suggests that the person traveling slower than the person behind them "MUST" do something, right?

As for the insults, cool your jets hot shot. You're attempting to do your passive-aggressive Internet tough guy thing in an attempt to mask that you're wrong and baseless with your assertions. How bout we just stick to the subject, eh?

As I said, quickly enough so as not to impede traffic; what isn't clear to you about that statement? If vehicles are backing up behind you then you are impeding traffic; I don't know how that could be any more clear.

There any point in arguing about MPHs with you since the statute doesn't even mention MPH. 

The statute is about impeding normal AND reasonable traffic. Tailgating and excessive speeds are not "reasonable".

And my point was about tailgating; not MPH.

Edited by daddyo

The statute is about impeding normal AND reasonable traffic. Tailgating and excessive speeds are not "reasonable".

And my point was about tailgating; not MPH.

I don't see any reason why other drivers need to be held to your standard of "reasonable"!

I agree, tailgating is dangerous but it begs the question of how often is the tailgating occurring because someone simply won't pass the vehicles to their right or because a vehicle pulls into the passing lane just a few seconds before overtaking traffic reaches them?

All  drivers have a responsibility to act safely; regardless of who caused the tailgating; the tailgater should slow down and back off a ways until the vehicle in front has completed his pass but the one in front also has a responsibility to complete his pass quickly and not hold up following traffic just because he can or as some do, even slow down for the express purpose of impeding traffic.