Tennessee most dangerous state.

DaveS

Like many news articles, that one is a propaganda piece. Tennessee's violent crime can't come close to New York, Illinois, Louisiana,

most any of the northern states. It goes to show that many pieces of data can be manipulated to show the desired result of the

manipulator. No doubt Tennessee has violent crime, but does it have 10-15 murders on many given weekends like Chicago alone?

DC, alone, far outstrips most areas in Tennessee.

Edited by 6.8 AR

The FBI propaganda machine? Yeah right. 

We quote the FBI statistics to support our gun rights but now that we don't agree with those statistics then the FBI must be full of it.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/5tabledatadecpdf

Honestly, I can see Tennessee being a violent state. I know in my little town crime is rampant, violent and non violent. In my county it is amazing at how many people are victims. Most don't even call LE anymore because our sheriff has publically, in a newspaper, said not to call unless it is a life threatening emergency. He even said if you have been burglarized come in the next business day to file a report and don't call them. I have several friends who have been robbed and called 911 but the officers never showed. When they called back to find out where the officers were they were told the officers would not be coming because the robber is likely already gone so there is nothing the officers could do.

Here is my little towns response to our sheriff's inability to provide even the most basic services.
http://www.wate.com/story/23975463/blaine-residents-packing-heat-to-protect-themselves-from-crime

Our sheriff stepped down after three inmates escaped on a Friday and his officers did not notice the missing inmates until Sunday. The TBI and FBI came in and took over operations for a few weeks. He hadn't been in his office for over a year prior to this. He was impossible to find or to get a hold of and has been talking through third parties to the authorities wanting to question him because he, just like 7 of the last 8 sheriffs, has been suspected of being involved in criminal activity. We had a previous sheriff that ran and insurance fraud scam. His officers would file false reports then receive checks from the insurance for vehicles that were not damaged at all. They were caught but all charges were dropped after rumors surfaced a lot more people in our local government were involved.

In our county we have criminals who have killed people get sentenced to 48 hours in jail. We have people who plead guilty to aggravated robbery or aggravated assault and get a sentence of time served after being in jail for a few weeks. If they don't hurt anyone during their crimes they often get their charges dismissed.

• Like 1

The FBI propaganda machine? Yeah right. 

We quote the FBI statistics to support our gun rights but now that we don't agree with those statistics then the FBI must be full of it.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/5tabledatadecpdf

Honestly, I can see Tennessee being a violent state. I know in my little town crime is rampant, violent and non violent. In my county it is amazing at how many people are victims. Most don't even call LE anymore because our sheriff has publically, in a newspaper, said not to call unless it is a life threatening emergency. He even said if you have been burglarized come in the next business day to file a report and don't call them. I have several friends who have been robbed and called 911 but the officers never showed. When they called back to find out where the officers were they were told the officers would not be coming because the robber is likely already gone so there is nothing the officers could do.

Here is my little towns response to our sheriff's inability to provide even the most basic services.
http://www.wate.com/story/23975463/blaine-residents-packing-heat-to-protect-themselves-from-crime

Our sheriff stepped down after three inmates escaped on a Friday and his officers did not notice the missing inmates until Sunday. The TBI and FBI came in and took over operations for a few weeks. He hadn't been in his office for over a year prior to this. He was impossible to find or to get a hold of and has been talking through third parties to the authorities wanting to question him because he, just like 7 of the last 8 sheriffs, has been suspected of being involved in criminal activity. We had a previous sheriff that ran and insurance fraud scam. His officers would file false reports then receive checks from the insurance for vehicles that were not damaged at all. They were caught but all charges were dropped after rumors surfaced a lot more people in our local government were involved.

In our county we have criminals who have killed people get sentenced to 48 hours in jail. We have people who plead guilty to aggravated robbery or aggravated assault and get a sentence of time served after being in jail for a few weeks. If they don't hurt anyone during their crimes they often get their charges dismissed.

:stunned:  :squint: DAFUQ??????

They said exactly what the numbers used were --- its the % crimes per population, and even noted that the big murder cities do not make the list.   Think about, however many millions that live in NY state, even if 3/4 of the population live in the one city,  the crimes per person is lower than a state with a bunch of  cities each with its own ghetto but lacking the huge population to spread the crime around.  

Meanwhile they babble about poverty but poverty level income in TN is lower than they think as our cost of living is very low.  Poverty level in NY or CA would get you a poor but livable home, car, and food situation here but you would be in govt housing or on the streets there. 

Education is questionable, I wonder if home schooling counts in their HS diploma count?

Cut off Memphis like some cancer and I bet it'd drop by 60%.

Memphis isn't the only problem. Take our once little quite town of Clarksville. Crime in general, gang crime and crime from some of our military (those here from Chicago, Memphis, New York and LA for example), has increased here ten fold since 1980 when I got here. Parts of Clarksville are getting very bad! And so are many cities in the state.

Dave

• Like 2
Clarksville does have a problem, just like every town/city in TN,
but it is still cherry picking data to say TN is the worst in the nation.
I haven't used the FBI to compare cities/towns/etc. If TN is the worst
in the nation, Ole Sparky would be going strong, at least the death row
portion.

Yes, even the FBI can put out data that is wrong, Gordon. There are
probably better ways to show data since they accumulate some of
their data incorrectly. That's been shown around here by someone,
a while back.

Pretty "relative" (but not necessarily reflective) data it seems to me as it writing a story to present the facts in a way to support the already formed opinion of the writer!.

Certain cities, such as Chicago and Memphis are truly DANGEROUS but does that make the entire state dangerous?  Is the outlying/farmland in Illinois or Ohio or Indiana anything near as dangerous as the major cities in those states?  I suspect not just as I suspect that in most areas of Tennessee you aren't very likely to be the victim of a violent crime either.  Perhaps the major point to take from these numbers is that that we live in a dangerous time...we live in a time when we are probably far more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than our parents or grandparents or great grandparents which is, is it not, why most of us here and many others in Tennessee and across the country, have chosen to go armed?

I know when I was growing up it would never have occurred to my Dad that he needed to carry a side arm with him everywhere he went...but I DO NOW!

I would also suggest that our crime rate in TN and perhaps across the country would go down dramatically if we all just stayed away from WalMart...seems like 1 or 2 of every 3 violent encounters/shootings I read about happened either inside a WalMart or in a WalMart parking lot. ;)

Edited by RobertNashville

I'm not sure, but I think that may even be a re-hash of an earlier article. Sure, there is too much crime everywhere. Instead of articles

like this one, why not publish articles that might show some of the reasons for the increase in crime? I think because there are too

many in denial of the causes for it, and it would be difficult to show any studies to back it up.

Cause and effect is more important than just plain old cherry picking. When you know the cause, you can do something positive, instead

of throwing more money blindly at it.

As the article said

"Most of the crime is concentrated in the major metropolitan areas of Tennessee – Memphis and Nashville".

Of which are and have been controlled by the Democrats for decades. Wonder what that says? Kinda like Detroit wannabes?

Ok, then we need to quit using the FBI statistics to support gun ownership.

Can't say their data is wrong then use their wrong data to support us.

Tennessee, from what I have seen, does have a lot of crime compared to some of the other places I have lived. I lived in San Antonio and never heard about as many murders or violent crime as here. Same thing when I lived in a little town in Alabama. I moved here and within a month I found out the property we were renting had someone murdered on in months earlier. And within 6 months of living there someone drove by and shot at our house. The best I can tell they did that was because we still had Alabama plates on our car.

Every single night on the news is someone being robbed, assaulted or murdered...EVERY NIGHT!!!

• Like 1

Hell.. I got robbed  in the first year we moved here...

People forget that a lot of stuff does not get reported because people get scared of retaliation.How many rapes, robberies and such do not get reported?

There is little doubt that many crimes go unreported but I'd suggest that it's likely that the rate of unreported crimes is fairly uniform from area to area/location to location meaning that if all crimes were reported it wild likely show the same correlations we currently see; just at higher incidence rates.

As for anecdotal evidence; I was robbed twice in three years in Columbus, Ohio...I've never been robbed here in Tennessee after 17 years...does that really mean anything?  Probably not as anecdotal experience rarely does. :shrug:

Edited by RobertNashville

Raise your hand...everyone who thinks they are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime in Chicago vs Nashville at 2AM.

Anyone?

ANYONE?

I would suggest that we should keep in mind that we are reading what someone else had to say about what the FBI said.  Unless someone here is a professional statistician and has reviewed both the statistics AND the methodology I'd suggest that just taking the article at face value is overly simplistic and prone to error.  I'm sure Tennessee is "dangerous" per capita...I'd still rather live in ANY city in Tennessee than Chicago or Detroit or Cleveland or many other cities in this country.

Using the same metrics, Jackson is as, if not more so, dangerous than Memphis or Nashville.  Of course our Madison County Sheriff is embroiled in scandal, the focus being now on how to stay in office instead of limiting crime.

One must remember that LE is simply charged with arresting criminals after the fact, not in preventing crime or providing security.  That responsibility is up to the individual.

• Like 1

I'm sure Tennessee is "dangerous" per capita...I'd still rather live in ANY city in Tennessee than Chicago or Detroit or Cleveland or many other cities in this country.

Reminds me of the old Hee-Haw skit:

Jr.- "Dr., Dr., I broke my leg in three places..."

Dr.- "Keep your a** our of them three places..."

• Like 1

Ok, then we need to quit using the FBI statistics to support gun ownership.

Can't say their data is wrong then use their wrong data to support us.

Tennessee, from what I have seen, does have a lot of crime compared to some of the other places I have lived. I lived in San Antonio and never heard about as many murders or violent crime as here. Same thing when I lived in a little town in Alabama. I moved here and within a month I found out the property we were renting had someone murdered on in months earlier. And within 6 months of living there someone drove by and shot at our house. The best I can tell they did that was because we still had Alabama plates on our car.

Every single night on the news is someone being robbed, assaulted or murdered...EVERY NIGHT!!!

Why? Why not use the statistics more consistently? From what you have seen isn't the same experience with every other person

in this state, is it? Are your statistics ruling the way mine will be? That suggests we go into different neighborhoods, doesn't it?

I'm beginning to bite my tongue, now. A conclusion poorly drawn is a poor conclusion. I mentioned the article being the propaganda

piece, not the FBI data. and, if I'm not mistaken, the FBI even admits that the data is reported differently in different locations from

law enforcement agencies. Why stop using the handgun data if it is consistent? If it isn't, don't use it. I just haven't heard that about

the handgun data, but my information comes from Lott, anyway, when I try to make the argument. I usually don't start these arguments,

to begin with. There's a lot to be said about consistency, as opposed to subjectivity.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest kingarmory

If ya cluster-bombed those couple of blocks near the federal building downtown, it would clear up a lot of N-Ville's crime issues.  Precision bombing along various sections of Charlotte Pike and Demonbreun wouldn't hurt either

I love to read the Memphis comments whenever one of these threads comes up. Lets get rid of Memphis so that you can dispose of all of those silly old guns since you would now be in a crime free state. Why does anyone outside of Shelby County need a gun for anything but hunting?
  • Like 2

Raise your hand...everyone who thinks they are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime in Chicago vs Nashville at 2AM.

Anyone?

ANYONE?

I would suggest that we should keep in mind that we are reading what someone else had to say about what the FBI said.  Unless someone here is a professional statistician and has reviewed both the statistics AND the methodology I'd suggest that just taking the article at face value is overly simplistic and prone to error.  I'm sure Tennessee is "dangerous" per capita...I'd still rather live in ANY city in Tennessee than Chicago or Detroit or Cleveland or many other cities in this country.

You won't see me in any place at 2am. You will not even see me on the streets of Clarksville at 2 am!!! When I worked on Fort Campbell up until March, I would get off of work at 11:00 pm. I would always stop at Walmart on Fort Campbell Blvd at about 11:20pm each night. Four out of five nights a week coming out of Walmart I would hear one or more gunshots as I walked across the parking lot to my car. While pulling out of the Walmart lot, I have seen dozens of police cars, fire trucks and/or ambulances flying by. Every freaking night..drive by's, domestics, punk gang members shooting at each other...PUNKS...making my city unsafe for anyone!!! Read the paper the next day and  you'll see, PERIOD!!! Don't tell me about crime Robert. I have a lot of respect for you...and your fairy tale city that you live in. I'm moving out of Clarksville buddy, because "Disney Land" doesn't exist here anymore, and this is a dangerous place to live. Because idiots made it that way.

Dave

Edited by DaveS